End of an era...

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

End of an era...

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:14 pm

WOW...up on the SCSBOA website, I noticed that Valencia HS in Placentia was looking for a full time band director. I was thinking, cool, Mr. Phil R. "Mort" Mortensen was finally getting a salaried full time assistant or co-director for the incredible program he has up there.

Nope...after 16 unbelievably successful years, Mr. Mort is moving on up. It would be soooooooooo incredibly cool (hint hint...coughvorecough) if someone could list VHS's programs accomplishments these past 16 years. It's quite unbelievable...success in ALL areas...marching, concert, jazz, winter guard, winter drum line, hosting tournaments, hosting shows, hosting festivals, touring, All Southern and All State, orchestra...where do I stop? The awards and honors for Valencia and their incredible success ultimately comes down to their leader...Mr. Phil R. Mortensen. Honored to call him a friend...and literally in shock and awe at what he's accomplished.

End of an incredible era in southern California music education...and the start of a new era as the best and brightest of southern California I'm positive are flocking to the Placentia Yorba Linda School District offices to fill out applications.

Thank you Mort for all you've done...you have about 3000 students who feel the same way!!! :D

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Band director change

Post by BlueStarMom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:26 am

JW North is facing the leaving of long time director Mr. Pete Jackson. Mr. Jackson will be leaving JWN after 12 years at the helm of the Blue Star Regiment. I am sure a lot of students and booster parents are sad to see him leave. The BSR has a long list of accomplishments and award winning history during his tenure. I am sure many former BSR members out there will concur. Good luck to Mr. Jackson in his next endeavour.
BlueStarMom
:)

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:15 pm

Good grief!! PETE IS LEAVING!? Where is he going? Or do you know...

Yeah...BSR will be leaving another great director...

AFlyingDrummer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by AFlyingDrummer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:28 pm

Yes Mr. Jackson will be leaving. I forgot the name of the school he is moving to, but I can update you later on it.
J W North(BSR)
'05-'06- W.S. Tbone, (F)- Tbone
'04-'05- W.S. Perc, (F)- Trombone, (W)- Bass 2
'03-'04- Wind Symphony Perc, (F)- Bass 4, (W)- Bass 3
'02-'03- Symphonic Band Perc, (Fall)- Pit, (Winter)- Aux Pit
Riverside All-Star Band '04 Bass

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Moving to the coast...

Post by vore » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:18 pm

San Clemente HS

vore
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Mr Pete Jackson

Post by BlueStarMom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:42 pm

Thanks for the name of the school he is going to. I had not yet heard that. San Clemente HS is lucky to be getting such a qualitydirector.
BlueStarMom

DynaGlide
Rookie
Rookie

End of an era

Post by DynaGlide » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:48 pm

What is happening at Temecula Valley H.S.? Is Tom Hrbacek getting someone to run the marching program? Is he (gasp) retiring? Awesome music educator (Forgive me. vore) and fantastic gentleman.

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Temecula Valley

Post by vore » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:25 pm

Tom Hrbacek is retiring from Temecula Valley HS after a long and dedicated career as a very successful music educator in Southern California. After graduating from CSULB, Tom began teaching in the Anaheim UHSD at Western HS before moving on to Los Alamitos HS and then TVHS.

As Tom said to a few of us a few weeks back, "It is time for me to call it a career and enjoy the retirement years ahead of me." My long time friend and former colleague from the Anaheim UHSD while I was at Magnolia HS is deserving of this change in his life.

While the national average career of a high school instrumental music teacher is currently only 5 years, Tom and the other successful band directors I have known in my long career stay in the profession for a very long time. It does take more than just 5 years to get a handle on this crazy but rewarding profession of teaching instrumental music to the masses.

All too often we "old timers" encounter many young teachers who "flame out" on the over emphasised competition aspect of music education while missing the entire concept of becoming lifetime music educators of music. One doesn't major in "band" while in college... one majors in music!

All my best to Tom Hrbacek and his wonderful wife Jackie!

John Hausey

Wait for my "book".

someguywhodoesthings
Rookie
Rookie

Post by someguywhodoesthings » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:37 pm

Commenting on all the changes. I go to San Clemente and I am so pleased Mr. Jackson is coming, but I am also sad to see our director go. But, you do have to remember all the sacrifices these people have made to make our programs so successful and you can't help but be pleased that they've decided to do something for themselves. Celebrate their achivements, but also celebrate their decision

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Mr Jackson

Post by BlueStarMom » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:41 pm

Well said, your sentiments were well phrased. Good luck.
BlueStarMom

Cadetsnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cadetsnare » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:57 am

FWIW, working with Andy Magana at San Clemente was probably the most pleasant experience I've had with a director. Really a gentleman who cares for his kids, his family, and a very balanced approach to running a program. A true prince.
Mr Jackson will do great things for the kids at SC. He has a really good track record, and I'm sure that it will be a positive for the kids to have him there.
I work with the percussion kids at San Clemete, and I just brought Roger Carter on with me to do the battery. Roger taught the Blue Devils snare line for 6 years, as well as RCC and the Crossmen last summer. We also do El Toro and Murrieta Valley together. Second semester should be great with 2 of us doing concert percussion ensemble.
With the changes in staff and director, I am positive that the kids will have a GREAT year! I know they are looking forward to having him there.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

But where's Phil going?

Post by Teever » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:52 pm

Well no change is permanent, but change is. After reading all this, I can't seem to find mention of where Phil (or Andy, for that matter) is "moving on up" to.
Ryan? John?

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Moving on up or is it on over?

Post by vore » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:54 am

Phil is the new "Coordinator of V and PA" for the Placentia-Yorba Linda USD. Andy is now at Tesoro HS with Cathy O.

vore