Dream Marching Band Show

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Dream Marching Band Show

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Thu May 20, 2004 4:33 pm

What is your dream field show and what are the reasons?

I think Miss Saigon, Pictures at an Exhibition or Pines of Rome would be the best.

Although Pictures and Saigon I know have been done by who knows how many drum corps...But there is still pines. Which has probably been done before.

But yeah. Saigon for the pit stuff, and it's just really great...

Pictures.. The moments. Oh man.

And Pines of Rome... WOW. How fantastic would that be?
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

fidave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fidave » Thu May 20, 2004 5:48 pm

During my first 2 years at Arcadia, we used How the West Was Won and Pictures at an Exhibition as our opener. Both great tunes.

I also had the fortune of playing an interesting arrangement of So You Wanted to See the Wizard from the Wiz. Fun to play. La Suerte de los Tontos was also a strong entry.

Poway once used The Beatles Eleanor Rigby and a fairly stirring version of Battle Hymn of the Republic. Both generated strong crowd response.

I also heard Skyview HS (Utah) do In the Hall of the Mountain King at Chaffey's Tournament of Champions. Imagine a tuba solo!

ronsj
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ronsj » Fri May 21, 2004 10:21 pm

The music of Final Fantasy

- The Landing (VIII)
- Liberi Fatali (VIII)
- Aria de Mezzo Careterre (VI)
- World Crisis (VII)

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sat May 22, 2004 10:50 am

rebu wrote:The music of Final Fantasy

- The Landing (VIII)
- Liberi Fatali (VIII)
- Aria de Mezzo Careterre (VI)
- World Crisis (VII)
Awww...no One-Winged Angel?!

Gotta have that!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun May 23, 2004 12:35 pm

Alright! WHO IS THIS???

I was AT THAT CHAFFEY SHOW when Skyview BLEW me out of the water, ANNNNNND, I have the actual RECORD (for you young kids, a record is a big black disk that we old pharts used to listen to music--you have to have something called a "needle" to use it...confusing you yet??) of that show! I was there as a spectator with a couple of friends from Pasadena HS, and I distinctly remember when Skyview was done with their show and were marching off the field, some disgruntled band father sitting in front of me turned around and said the immortal quote that has stayed with me for years and years...."Give those Utah farm communities a TV set, and what do they do? WATCH DRUM CORPS!!" That was HILARIOUS to me, because they were so clearly far different (above??) the rest of the open class bands that year. What year was it???? That's right...1981. The Arcadia "Glory" Year!! Pictures at an Exhibition! WHOA!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway--dream show?? Gosh...it's almost too incomprehensible to consider because there's so much out there that is awesome...

Malaguena would be something--and the classic version, not the Stan Kenton version...or maybe do both, and make into a 15 minute production...

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Sun May 23, 2004 12:41 pm

Hahahaha, crazy Utah kids. Pictures is just astounding though. Which movements did they do?
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun May 23, 2004 5:21 pm

This arrangement of "Pictures" that Arcadia did back in 1981 was a very "Jensonized" arrangement. Jenson was a publisher (still is I think of choir music possibly) back in the 70's and 80's with great arrangers on board, like Wayne Downey (Blue Devils), Jay Bocook (Cadets), Will Rapp (percussion dude), etc, etc. The arrangement of Pictures that Jenson put out was designed to be an opener if I'm not mistaken, and it was a combination of "Baba Yaga" and "Great Gate of Kiev". When I was designing drill for Arcadia back in the 90's, we resurrected it (I think in 1994?). And when I refer to it as "Jensonized", I mean it as the arrangements sounding very "college" band like, and totally different than how most top-level competitive marching band arrangements are like nowadays...

ronsj
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ronsj » Sun May 23, 2004 7:35 pm

Heck, I could make a show just based on the Final Fantasy Tactics official sound track! :shock: Just listen to these samples and see what I mean...

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/fft/index.html

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:54 am

PercussionAndAllThatJazz wrote:Hahahaha, crazy Utah kids. Pictures is just astounding though. Which movements did they do?
Hey, I lived in Utah for the first 15 years of my life before moving to SoCal, unfortunately my High School in UT, was not one of the Utah greats (i.e. American Fork, if you havent heard these guys check them out at http://www.angelfire.com/ut/wc3/AF2000.html I couldnt find a band website that is just a DL one, if u find one feel free to post it) Anywho, my school Copper Hills High, had a great Jazz band, but a horrible horrible MB, oh well.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.