No Leigh Marching Band as of 4-01-04

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

crack it
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crack it » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:40 am

smd89 wrote:a 6 period day is fine, we've had it for a long time, and it works out perfectly as long as ur school counts band as PE which it should, it makes it so u can take math, science, history, english, band (pe), and another elective (foreign language/elective)
it just lets u have less electives, just wait until senior year for them
We do count Marching Band as PE but for example my schedule looks like this math, science, history, english, concert band, Spanish (which we need to graduate). So, Marching Band is still an extra class...
ya

crack it
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crack it » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:42 am

smd89 wrote:a 6 period day is fine, we've had it for a long time, and it works out perfectly as long as ur school counts band as PE which it should, it makes it so u can take math, science, history, english, band (pe), and another elective (foreign language/elective)
We do count Marching Band as PE. But my schedule for example is math,science,history,english,Concertband, Spanish. So Marching Band is still an extra class.
ya

Khan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Khan » Tue May 04, 2004 10:49 pm

Part of the issue is this: right now, a requirement for being in Leigh's marching band is that the student must also enroll in a concert band, because music education is the program's ultimate goal. Marching band alone simply does not provide the medium for such education. That requirement will not likely change for this important reason.

So, students would have to devote at least 2 of their 6 classes to music (many are now enrolled in 3 during the fall ... choir, a concert band, and marching band). With core course requirements, many students, especially freshmen and sophomores, simply won't have room for marching band under the 6 class schedule.

Will the marching band program die? Well, while remotely possible, I seriously doubt it will come to that. The devoted students and very powerful parent organization at Leigh will find a solution to keep the program alive.

Khan
It's better to look good than to feel good.

Smiling_Marcher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Smiling_Marcher » Wed May 05, 2004 10:13 pm

smd89
a 6 period day is fine, we've had it for a long time, and it works out perfectly as long as ur school counts band as PE which it should, it makes it so u can take math, science, history, english, band (pe), and another elective (foreign language/elective)
Our school is a block schedual. Currently, we have per. 1-4 classes on one day and 5-8 classes the next, most do not have a 4th or 8th per, (depending on your schedual). Each of those classes are about 1.5 hours long. If we have 3 classes in our day we get out at 2. While if we have 4 we get out at 3:45. Marching Band is (currently) the only 8th per. class. Now they want to change that. So as you can se e we're set up a bit differently.

As far as the wait 'till your a senior thing goes, it doesn't work if you have high asperations. I shall be a senior next year. My ideal class schedual next year is: Marching Band, AP Gov/Econ, AP Physics, AP Calculos, AP Eng, Yearbook, Photo, and Concert Band (due to Symphonic band being the same period as Yearbook). As you can see that's 8 classes. All the AP classes are to make me a better collage student, and pretty much esential to my furture dreams. With this I will have to cut 2 of my classes. Now what suffers? I NEED my AP classes. Marching Band is my favorite class of all time and requires you to take another band, so that makes me take concert band (wrather I like it or not). Which leaves me with yearbook and photo.... Those are the elective classes I have been waiting till senior year to take and now will most likely have to drop.... Do you see what I'm getting at here?
The season may be through but the memories will keep playing.