Homestead Announces 2004 Field Show

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

blah

Post by blah » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:02 pm

Slavetomusic wrote:I think it is funny that you are all so hussy about Leigh. .
hussy....I haven't heard that word used since the 18th century. Good word though.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clusknay » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:04 am

yea, sik. Speaking of SM 2, (there's probably a thread about it somewhere) what did everyone think about it...even all yall homesteadites...
-mneh mheh

Zpull
New Recruit
New Recruit

Danny Elfman!

Post by Zpull » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:25 pm

8-)

Loved his second score for this film! Although many say that he re-hashed alot of his SM 1 work he still was able to re create many new interesting and exciting musical moments that only he knows how to do!!

Zpull
New Recruit
New Recruit

Band Camp "Spidermania" to begin 8/10

Post by Zpull » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:25 pm

8-)

Zpull
New Recruit
New Recruit

What our some other bands in the Nor Cal area playing in 04

Post by Zpull » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:12 pm

Would love to here what field show music other schools in the Northern California are planning on performing this upcoming season.

~Zpull
"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"

Khan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Khan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:03 pm

Wildabeast wrote:
drum4life wrote:Looks like Homestead is copying Leigh's design methods...
First of all, this is an arrogant and ignorant response. Leigh has not beaten Homestead forever. Leigh is NOT the first and foremost when it comes to show design (in talking about California marching bands in general). I've seen & heard much better TOTAL packages (Thousand Oaks 1997 comes to mind). Leigh may have had the upper hand the past couple years in NCBA field, but I don't see that success reflected in things like county honor band.
Arrogant and ignorant statements....yeah, I agree very much, but as far as not seeing Leigh's field success reflected in other venues such as county honor band, your dead wrong there. Leigh's marching band, even with it's dominance in the NCBA these past several, is not their music program's crown jewel: their concert music program holds that honor by a longshot. Several Leigh musicians chose to bypass County Honor Band tryouts to focus on State Honor Band. Two of them even earned "A" band first chair spots in percussion and oboe in recent years...that means best in the state! And, Leigh's Wind Ensemble has proven its prominence as the top scorer at both this year's Pacific Basin Festival in Hawaii (an international competition with bands from the Far East, the South Pacific, Canada, and the US) and last year's New York Wind Band Festival at Carnegie Hall.

If you're going to insinuate that Leigh's field success is not reflected elsewhere, I suggest a little more research before you say more.
Now that Leigh is in a transitional period with a new director, who knows what their future holds, but their music program's recent history speaks quite well for itself.

Khan
It's better to look good than to feel good.

twoleftfeet

Post by twoleftfeet » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:42 pm

Very true Kahn. You WOULD be able to see the wide variety of trophies and placks that the band has won over the years, both marching band and not, but they all somehow VANISHED over the summer.......strange!

crumpet0412
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crumpet0412 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:58 pm

^^....
vanished....except they are still there. OMG so cool....

i dont understand....i thought this was supposed to be a thread about Homesteads field show......musta clicked the wrong link....

:roll: :wink:
fing yah guard yah!

florescentmarcher00

Post by florescentmarcher00 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:02 pm

Yea, bummer to see all of them vanish with the coming year. After all, the kids earned them. Rumor has it that the director took them all when he "moved on."

So what's a transitional period? Do you mean out of NCBA and into WBA (marching band of course),which means that the "field success" will definately be challenged to another level. Not doing spring/winter concerts with disney and other marching band themes as a selling point? Or strictly in terms of the new director pointing the band in a different direction? Is that a transition?

twoleftfeet

Post by twoleftfeet » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:04 pm

Here comes the lock!!!!!! :lol:

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:02 pm

Khan wrote:
Wildabeast wrote:
drum4life wrote:Looks like Homestead is copying Leigh's design methods...
First of all, this is an arrogant and ignorant response. Leigh has not beaten Homestead forever. Leigh is NOT the first and foremost when it comes to show design (in talking about California marching bands in general). I've seen & heard much better TOTAL packages (Thousand Oaks 1997 comes to mind). Leigh may have had the upper hand the past couple years in NCBA field, but I don't see that success reflected in things like county honor band.
Arrogant and ignorant statements....yeah, I agree very much, but as far as not seeing Leigh's field success reflected in other venues such as county honor band, your dead wrong there. Leigh's marching band, even with it's dominance in the NCBA these past several, is not their music program's crown jewel: their concert music program holds that honor by a longshot. Several Leigh musicians chose to bypass County Honor Band tryouts to focus on State Honor Band. Two of them even earned "A" band first chair spots in percussion and oboe in recent years...that means best in the state! And, Leigh's Wind Ensemble has proven its prominence as the top scorer at both this year's Pacific Basin Festival in Hawaii (an international competition with bands from the Far East, the South Pacific, Canada, and the US) and last year's New York Wind Band Festival at Carnegie Hall.

If you're going to insinuate that Leigh's field success is not reflected elsewhere, I suggest a little more research before you say more.
Now that Leigh is in a transitional period with a new director, who knows what their future holds, but their music program's recent history speaks quite well for itself.

Khan
That's kinda' why I left my statement the way it is. I was hoping for an answer. Maybe it just needed to be reworded to come out less offensive (so, BIG APOLOGY TO LHS if it cam out that way). I know the new director and had a chance to talk a little with him over the summer.

Khan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Khan » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:11 pm

florescentmarcher00 wrote:Yea, bummer to see all of them vanish with the coming year. After all, the kids earned them. Rumor has it that the director took them all when he "moved on."

So what's a transitional period? Do you mean out of NCBA and into WBA (marching band of course),which means that the "field success" will definately be challenged to another level. Not doing spring/winter concerts with disney and other marching band themes as a selling point? Or strictly in terms of the new director pointing the band in a different direction? Is that a transition?
Well, if you're one to believe in rumors, then you've got some rough days ahead. Why would the former director take literally hundreds of trophies with him? Are you aware that Rich threw away the trophies once all the kids involved in earning them graduated? I suggest you ask the new director where they are before taking cheap shots at Rich.
Any by transition, I mean just that. Leigh has an entirely new staff with different ideas, styles, and interpretations. The students, parents, and staff are all adjusting to it....that defines a "transition" in my book. If you wish to imply more, go right ahead, but at least have something to back it up before you swallow your other foot.

Khan
It's better to look good than to feel good.

trumpeter84

Post by trumpeter84 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:59 am

Aw tight Khan. Backin it up as usual. That florescent marcher dude doesn't seem to know what the heck they're talking about. I mean, why would a director want to take trophies that his/her band earned? I also heard that rich discarded the trophies every couple of years as you stated. My friend from leigh had told me that all of the trophies off of the walls were gone, and that kinda bothered him, as he didn't know where they had gone. But the new director probably just took them down or something. Whatever.
My buddy also says things are a lot different there. He's not quite sure how to put it into words right now other than "different." Still can't wait to see them perform at Cupertino for the first time this year...oh yea, and Homestead, Mountain View, and all of the other bands too!

Zpull
New Recruit
New Recruit

Homesteads Competitive Season Show Schedule

Post by Zpull » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:02 am

October 9th ......Cupertino Tournament of Bands(NCBA)
October 23rd.....Foothill Band Review(NCBA)
October 30th.....Live Oak Show(WBA)
November 6th...Clovis Golden State Tournament of Bands(WBA)
November 13th..Napa Vintage Reserve Band Review(NCBA)

What are some other high schools in Northern California season show schedules?

~Zpull
"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:36 pm

:cry: Four competitions in a row. Sounds very tiring. Some of us have A.P. classes. Guess who has to listen to us whine?
But then again, six major shows, if you include exhibition :D . It will be a great season. A long season, but worthwhile. But long, mind you. Very long.

I've got two guesses as to who Zpull is. :hum: