Maytime Band Review ends in 2004?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Maytime Band Review ends in 2004?

Post by vore » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:03 pm

After many years, 2004 is rumored to be the last of the Annual National City Maytime Band Reviews.

More than likely, Harvey Berish will post updated information as it is received.

For comments or concerns, you may contact the "powers that be" by going to the official Maytime Band Review website at:

www.maytimebandreview.org/board.htm

vore
Last edited by vore on Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:41 pm

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It can't go away!
Maytime is the last of the "big daddy invitational" band reviews besides Arcadia.
It used to be Arcadia, All Western, Long Beach, Maytime.
(I probably left out a few!)

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:46 pm

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!
It's the oldest band review still alive!
It was my very first band review marching in at middle school
DON'T TAKE IT AWAY!
No regrets

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:48 pm

That's sad! I love the maytime band review!!
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

aznxdarkricex
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by aznxdarkricex » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:13 pm

yea it is the last year because our band is going this year and after going for like 50 years our director told us that it is ending. i thought he meant that we won't go any more but he said that the parade officials are ending the event. so yea 2004 is the last year. :cry:

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Here's The Story!!!

Post by Mr Pageantry » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:03 pm

I spoke to Ralph and Edith Hughes about the end of the Maytime Band Review tradition in National City which is so close to the Border you can hear the crowds cheering in the Bullring..
Ralph confirmed the Maytime Band Review was ending it's 5o year tradition this year for a number of reasons... and also surprised us with a new piece of information;
1. Major Street work was beginning this year which would have put pedestrian islands in some of the streets needed for the review....
2. Edith, who has been the heart and soul for the past fifty years and guiding light for the review and for the National City Chamber of Commerce... felt that she was not finding new workers and people who could 'do the review' right for the future... rather than watch it slide down hilll she wanted to stage one last review with many of her veteran workers..... It was getting harder and harder to get the folks out to produce the event.....
3. Many of the younger band directors, no longer wanted to support the event by participating.... Plus the Cheerleading event was no longer... and the drumline competition was not getting many entries...
4. One of the events major financial benefactors from the Walton family (Wal as in Walmart) was not spending as uch time at their home in National City.. and so that source of support appeared to be drying up....

I think that this year should be a special year.... every functioning band that can make the event (First Saturday in May) ought to join in the final celebration.... Every student should participate in this event at least once...

I want to thank Edith.. and Ralph for always being so nice to Pageantry.. for more than a decade we participated in every Maytime National City Band Review.... I think at least 100,000 student musicians and military musicians have participated... For one day a year the little city of National City was the national capital of marching bands.... It was a well run.. exciting street event which saw so many of the State's finest bands march down the boulevard and into history....

Edith will still be working at the legendary National City Chamber of Commerce... and Ralph has invited me and the kids to stop by the house and sit on the porch and to have some lemonade and remember good time for marching bands in the San Diego suburb.... I wish that SCSBOA would find a scholastic sponsor for this major event.... Somewhere there should be someone who wants to continue the tradition.......

:wav: :cry:

Hangmanz

Post by Hangmanz » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:37 pm

i hope mayfair can take sweeps again so we can keep the trophy

MonsoonTrumpetSectLeadr05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MonsoonTrumpetSectLeadr05 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:14 pm

euphman wrote:*sigh* Man.....Maytime has been THE parade for my school since the school opened. That's the parade we work our hearts out for and its ending, how sad. Well, we will work our butts off this spring and shoot for bring the trophy back to CP for the 17th time :D :D
good luck buddy....we're not giving it up that easily....lol
Trpt 4 Life---!xus nayr

SDAsnareplayer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SDAsnareplayer » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:18 pm

well good luck everyone
Last edited by SDAsnareplayer on Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDAsnareplayer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SDAsnareplayer » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:59 pm

Anyone know if they are going to hold it somewhere else?

Ryan
New Recruit
New Recruit

misunderstanding?

Post by Ryan » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:51 am

euphman wrote:Well, not all of us goes to a school that has won the trophy 7 or however many years in a row. And saying that you guys will win for sure and just want to keep the trophy forever isn't quite as respectfull to other members of other bands. Yes, you come from a very top notch band but I find bragging rights to be total BS. Look at the past years, who has won the most? Pretty sure it isnt BV. Just keep those types of comments to yourself before you upset a member of another band to whom Maytime means alot to.
who were you referring to in this message? if it's MonsoonTrumpetSectLeadr05, then i believe you're referring to the wrong school. he's from mayfair (my alma mater) and we won the sweepstakes trophy last year for the first time. it was a great accomplishment for us and i just think that he's saying that they're going to work very hard to keep it. i just think that your whole reply was a big misunderstanding. this year the trophy can be up for grabs for any school. good luck to all of you.

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Post by guarddude » Mon May 03, 2004 1:03 am

Sometimes you've just got to roll with the times. I remember when Glen Wilson used to go and my sister remembers when Loara and Mater Dei used to go. Let's face it folks, it's all those schools down there in South SD County that come out for it. What big names have gone in the past 5 years? BV yes, but c'mon....no Arcadia, no Thousand Oaks, No RB, No Mt. Carmel, No El Dorado, No Valencia.....no big names.

Just my opinion

GD