Senior Circle

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

starlight

Post by starlight » Mon May 03, 2004 7:07 pm

euphman wrote:We have a senior circle right after we walk off the street at Maytime or when we get back and at the school every senior says a little speech reflecting their years with the band.
we have our senior line up at Maytime too. all the seniors line up and are given flowers and our director says a little speech. then all the underclassman get in a line and we walk up to each senior and give them a hug or handshake and say our farewells. i dont know where we're gonna do it next year since Maytime is over.

kim

MOB
Montebello H.S.

Lawrence Amparbin Jnr

Post by Lawrence Amparbin Jnr » Tue May 04, 2004 11:12 am

Yeah my school does senior cirlces too, right before we perform and then afterwards too. They get more and more emotional as the season comes to an end. Before we go on we recall past memories and afterwards we talk about the great stuff in the show.

mumba182

Post by mumba182 » Sun May 23, 2004 10:59 pm

we do it at our school after champs like right after we preform and our instructors preform with the guard like the seniors sit in the middle and then the band makes a circle and the guard spreads around and pit plays on the carts and stuff is very emotional especially cause im going to be a senior next year

T_BoneBandNerd

Post by T_BoneBandNerd » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:35 am

Wow, our band doesn't do all the cool senior stuff your bands do. I'll have to mention that to our director. I think this year will be very emotional for the seniors because our band director started teaching at our school when I was a freshman and completely changed the program from what it used to be (let's just say it was "special"). This is the first time he has stayed at a school for four years and he has spent so much time with this years seniors, it will be an emotional banquet for the director as well as the senior class. He does do this thing though where at our last (usually) competition he reads "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss and because of that tradition and the words in the book, he'll start getting all teary-eyed and stuff.
Elizabeth
Murrieta Valley HS
Crimson Cadets Band and Pageantry Corps
Trombone Section Leader

Bones Rock!!!!

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:32 am

Hey! Everyone

When I was in high school. We never really did a "Senior Thing" at all. Everytime we try to do something our band director would stop us before starting it.

Its good for you others school to do something for the graduating Senior every year.

:D 8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:52 pm

At our last home football game of the season, the seniors all get to wear these spiffy sashes to show that they're a senior. Then, they read all the seniors' names as we march onto the field for our opening set.

At our last competition, each senior gets a cookie with their name written on it as our band director calls them forward. Also, the seniors get their food first for dinner! =)

At our end of the year banquet, there is a video dedicated to the seniors with baby pictures, senior pictures, and each senior telling how they feel(taped at the last competition) about their four years being over.

Ah, man...it's my turn this year! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:48 pm

At the last competition of the year, the seniors get to wear a green carnation on their jackets. After the performance we line back up in an arc and the seniors go into the middle and we play the show for them one last time. Unfortuantley the day for me is only 66 days away. :(
OHS '01 - '05

TheEgg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Good Times

Post by TheEgg » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:29 pm

At my school at the last football game they have senior step out where they stop in the middle of the show and announce all the seniors names while they step out and wave. We also have a senior run through at out last Monday nite practice which isn't emotional but more liek a chance to be silly and do random parts from other shows and for the guys to run arround with diapers on while all the underclassmen look on...Then at champs for WBA before we perform we get a red rose pinned on to our costume by our parents if they're there or an instructor. Then later that nite after we get back to the hotel in a banquet room we have senior pull out. This is every1 in a circle with the lights off and our band director goes arround and pulls all the seniors into the center and talks about our hard work. Then the seniors go arround the inside of the cirle saying goodbye and hugging people and crying and what not. And the cool thing about this is that no parents or anyone besides the instructor and kids can be in there. It's reall kinda secretive. Wahoo im excited i get to be in the center of that circle this year. Wahoo 05! :D
Howz the fetus?!
HAAAAWAAAFEEN ::band:: HAWAFEEN ::band:: HAWAFEENA!
"I'm gunna shake your ladder next time AND make sure you fall off!"-Boobs

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:11 pm

Our school does a run-thru without the seniors, then before the championship performance after we've warmed up, each senior gives a little speech about their experiences in band, what they liked most about it, and their hope that this will be their best performance yet.

at the very end of the year, for the band banquet, each senior makes a "will", chock full of inside jokes, and wishes for the younger band members, and that's a cool way to end the year.
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

audrizzle13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by audrizzle13 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:29 pm

We have a traditional dismissal where the seniors get in the center and link arms while the rest of band and guard circle around us, then usually the director/instrutors/drum major has things to say about us, and then we dismiss. Also getting onto the busses we release by class, so seniors go first, then juniors and so on. We do also have senior breakfast at the end of the year.
myspace.com/audreypuff
Nurses do it painless.
Nurses do it with TLC.
Nurses do it with care.
Nurses do it with intensive care.

Smiling_Marcher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Smiling_Marcher » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:43 pm

We don't do senior circles at my school, though that sounds like it would be awsome (even though I know I would cry). Anyways, our seniors get a steak dinner for dinner at the last competition. Then the moms make a pin for all the seniors, it always has something to do with the theme of the show. Of corse the seniors all wear the pins during the performance. We also do the whole senior band baby pics thing at the end of season banquet. Then there is something else we do at the beginning of the season, but I can't tell you what b/c then I'd have to kill you. :shock: WOW, :shock: it's my turn for that. :crying:I'm excited about the frist of those three, the second I know I'll get emotional, and the thrid will be absolutly hilarious.
The season may be through but the memories will keep playing.

RCC_TpT_Screamer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RCC_TpT_Screamer » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:28 pm

at mayfair we dont have a senior circle thing...we do senior speeches b4 championships but thats different. if the band circled me and my 05's seniors and played i wouldnt help but laugh. lol.

liberatemenow
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by liberatemenow » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:55 pm

im at rbv and we do some cool senior stuff i am excited that i get to partake in it this year(but then its sad cause im leaving :( ) but our band at our last practice of the marching season we have a run through with seniors then with out its really special i think..also some sections do a thing where each person says something to the seniors....alot of tears are shead thats for sure!! we also have a senior bbq or something thatys wiht the staff and directors just for seniors....we also have a special senior slide show with baby pictures and recorded thanks and such towards our special people!!! kinda exciting i think!!!
I catch in my throat
Choke
Torn into pieces
I won't - No
I don't want to be this
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She is everything to me
The unrequited dream
A song that no one sings