Senior Circle

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

phlpngeek04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Senior Circle

Post by phlpngeek04 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:30 am

i was wondering if any other schools have a traditional senior circle after an important show or something. if you do id like to hear about it. our school has one and it gets very emotional. :crying:
Cpl Fontilara
USMC
Currently at MCAS Miramar, San Diego, CA

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:51 pm

hey my school has a senior circle, We do it at the end of the season when we play our show one more time with our seniors in it then after that we all make a circle around all of the seniors and play our show for them. It gets really emotional for them. For both of the years that I have done it, all of the girls have cried. It's pretty cool, esspecially when you have a good show. Our senior circle started way back in 1999 when our band took the state championships and somebody decided to go out in the parking lot and make a circle with all of the seniors and play our show to them. I love it :)

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Senior Circle

Post by BlueStarMom » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:49 pm

At JW North after the BSR performs their halftime show, they march off the field. They form a circle with all of the graduating seniors in the middle. The underclassmen play the music "You Will Never Walk Alone" . The seniors in the middle lock arms and sing the words to the song. It is very emotional. I do not know how many years the band has performed this ritual.
BlueStarMom
:)

JediMasterBando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JediMasterBando » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:24 pm

We have what we call "Senior Line" at Mt. Carmel. After the parade awards ceremony at Arcadia (the final tournament we compete in), we go back to where our buses are parked and the seniors line up. The band directors walk down the line, thanking each senior for four years of hard work. After that, the juniors get to go, followed by the sophmores and freshmen. Once the freshmen have all gone through, the seniors themselves go through. It's very emotional for everyone, but especially the juniors and seniors.

We also do stuff for the seniors at the end of our last Wednesday Night Rehearsal (our longest rehearsal of the week). Traditionally, the seniors get to do one last set of marching basics drills. The past few years we have also been circling up around the seniors and playing the show for them. This has also been an emotional time for the seniors.
"Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them. " -Richard Strauss

'05-'08 MSU Spirit of the West Marching Band!
'08 Drum Major

Kappa Kappa Psi- Beta

The Sun Never Sets!
Mt. Carmel '01-'05

the yellow dart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the yellow dart » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:29 pm

we march our show with the seniors, and then do it without, so the seniors can watch

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:00 pm

JediMasterBando wrote:We have what we call "Senior Line" at Mt. Carmel. After the parade awards ceremony at Arcadia (the final tournament we compete in), we go back to where our buses are parked and the seniors line up. The band directors walk down the line, thanking each senior for four years of hard work. After that, the juniors get to go, followed by the sophmores and freshmen. Once the freshmen have all gone through, the seniors themselves go through. It's very emotional for everyone, but especially the juniors and seniors.

We also do stuff for the seniors at the end of our last Wednesday Night Rehearsal (our longest rehearsal of the week). Traditionally, the seniors get to do one last set of marching basics drills. The past few years we have also been circling up around the seniors and playing the show for them. This has also been an emotional time for the seniors.
Thats a great idea, the senior line I mean. I never would of thought of that but if I were a senior that would be really emotional for me. :)

lildrummergirl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lildrummergirl » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:14 pm

at our last competition, the seniors play the show by themselves. then they line up and the rest of the band walks past shaking hands and to thank them for their 4 yrs. of hard work

IhilaniRifleGurl04

Post by IhilaniRifleGurl04 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:27 pm

our school does that...the rest of the band circles up around the seniors and the guard is behind. they play the show one more time for us. i tried not to cry but it was soo hard! at graduation i'm gonna just ball-guess i shouldn't wear make up then lol
Poof BEGONE! Yo breath is too strong! OO step back! You need a tic-tac! OO yo a mess you need a little more...not a tic-not a tac..but you need a whole pack...BIOTCH!!!!

O'SIDE c/o "04"

phlpngeek04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by phlpngeek04 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:51 pm

we have our home show as our last competition (though we dont compete) and then after all the awards are given out, we get in a block and march back to our cafeteria and line up against the wall. its decorated with streamers and stuff with chairs in a circle in the middle. then our director tells the seniors to come out and sit in the circle. then he talks about each senior and we get a shirt with all our names on it along with a keychain. then once that is over we get up on our chairs and face outward toward the underclassmen to listen to the show one last time. its very loud and very, very emotional. :cry:
Cpl Fontilara
USMC
Currently at MCAS Miramar, San Diego, CA

shorts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shorts » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:01 pm

wow, that's a really good idea, maybe i'll mention this to my band. I don't think we do anything for seniors except for senior night during football season.
Life was so much easier when your clothes didn't match and boys had cooties.

ca20014rotc

Palmdale High senior circle

Post by ca20014rotc » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:49 pm

hey, I emailed you already but I wanted to say that I know how the senior circleis and just wanted to say that im sorry to see some of the seniors go ie. david crumlish (drum major) matt - he plays baritone and isnt the other drum major tela a senior also this year?
let me know type back @ ca20014rotc@msn.com

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:04 am

i dont think our seniors ever get anything like that... wait i lied... we go to six flags... :roll: :wink: 8-)
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

TUBA7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by TUBA7 » Sun May 02, 2004 6:56 pm

my school has that and everyone starts crying i think its kinda funny :shock:
"Every creature on Earth dies alone"-Donnie Darko