World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Which collegiate marching band do you favor?
USC Trojan Marching Band, "The Spirit of Troy" 37%  37%  [ 21 ]
UCLA Bruin Marching Band 62%  62%  [ 35 ]
Total votes : 56
Author Message
 Post subject: !!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:38 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:37 pm
Posts: 171
Location: Torrance, CA
And I am definitely not alone when it comes to tell our "true" reputation.

8-) FIGHT ON!
:!: BRUINS, TILL THE NEXT FOOTBALL GAME...

_________________
North High School Saxon Regiment ('00~'02)
North High School Drum Line ('00~'02)
North High School #10 Tin Can Band ('01~'02)
El Camino College Varsity Band ('03~'05)
USC Trojan Marching Band ('03~'06)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Clinically assessing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:42 pm
Posts: 1
As a drum major focused on field show, I would have to say UCLA's Solid Gold Sound is better than the USC Spirit of Troy band's, primarily because of their cleaness, and consistency. The Bruins' sound also seems to be a priority, and even though UCLA is one of the most formal, traditional marching bands on the West Coast, they still seem to be having a lot of fun. The Trojans, although large in volume and in size, seem to miss the compromise between sound and flash, and go much more for the latter. And although both bands have repetitive songs, if one looks at the music (I have friends in both bands) there's is no comparison: USC only has 3 or 4 notes in one of their primary fight songs. There's no excuse for that.

And as for the gentleman who commented on the UCs all being blue and gold, yes, it's true, that's the system, not the school's fault.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:00 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:16 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Trabuco Canyon / Foothill Ranch
Hey I'm proud to have school colors that are Blue and Gold. It gives more unity and honor to be in the UC system.

_________________
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: This is getting out of hand...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:04 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:16 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Trabuco Canyon / Foothill Ranch
Shota Hanai wrote:
:evil: First of all, to some people, this is to give positive views to the band you favor, not a place to be critical of. If you ever want to make criticism of either of the two, especially to those talking trash out of USC's band, MAKE YOUR OWN FORUM to write how you feel. On the second thought, ZIP IT, because all you'll get are oppositions right in your face! I am getting really excremented by this...



Hey it swings both ways buddy. UCLA took a few hits as well before the USC comments were made.

_________________
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: My two cents!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:32 am
Posts: 3
Location: Palmdale, CA
To All:

1) USC band members don't even compare themselves to the "corps" style bands....probably because we are INTELLIGENT enough to realize that you can't compare the two styles. As a member of the Trojan band since 1990, I have read and heard my fair share of blind and mindless comparisions between 'SC and ucla and any other corps style program...STOP THE MADNESS!! We all know that USC doesn't march as clean or play as complex music as the corps style programs, but we do ENTERTAIN better...that's our whole point...to entertain 90,000 FB fans each week! Not impress judges or egg head corps junkies. The reality is that we have equal, if not superior, musicians than ucla but we have our own style...even if you don't like it. Damn you fools, go hang out at the DCI shows and look like nerds talking about who beat who by .05 points! By the way you ucla bandies, if you claim to be a respected corps style group....perhaps you should go watch the real standards of the medium...like Blue Devils or Santa Clara (oh yeah, you're probably better than them too, right?)

2) By the way, wasn't it John Williams that told USC and Michigan that they played the banner at rehearsal so well that the television producers agreed NOT to play the sound over in the television feed? (what you heard on TV was the real deal...no pre-recorded sound clip) Perhaps some of you people who act as you're in the know should actually BE in the know.

3) Never mention again the assertion that USC doesn't have top quality players. We have over 50 members from the Thorton School of Music (what is ucla's muic school called...oh yeah, they don't have a real school of music). I personally challenge the entire ucla tuba section to a "play-off" against the USC tubas. I am pretty sure our tubas will give a clinic to the ucla tubas on proper performance technique. By the way, should I bring the V Williams Tuba Sonata or the B Broughton Tuba Concerto with me as a warm-up? Just a little joke among the 9 music majors/educators in our 16 member tuba section.

4) Funny how we still fly American Airlines today...sorry guys, urban legend.

5) Interesting tidbit..."High school band!" being yelled at the bruin band...by the own fans! great student support over there.

6) Doesn't really matter what you OR I think...all that matters is everyone saw me marching the Rose Bowl half-time (National Champs baby!) and NOBODY saw ucla march the Silicon Valley Raisin Bowl...but hey, they're used to nobody watching them

That is all....

Hambo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: geeks gone wild
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:17 pm
Posts: 3
I only recently have started looking at this site, and it's just been this thread because it pertains to me. Let me just say that any BAND DIRECTOR that gives links to his students to online forums and encourages them to post on the internet about how great their band is honestly does not instill that kind of attitude enough on the field, because if he did, they'd only be the response to criticism on these message boards, as opposed to the instigators.

With that said, Shoda Hanai is not in the USC drumline. He's part of the prop crew. He carries a ladder around on gameday and helps with logistics. Just a quick question for you bRuin drummers, how many students on your recruit list do you have already for next season? We've got close to 80 for the drumline alone here at SC, in FEBRUARY.

It's kinda funny now that all of a sudden when the band director passes out the link, all the bRuin bandies come out of the woods. That only serves to prove a point:

YOU ARE ALL THE BIGGEST TOOLS...EVER.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: It seems obvious to me...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:34 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 7:22 pm
Posts: 32
Okay, I have way too much time on my hands but here goes round two…

Quote:
1. Hazing. You will be hazed incessantly. That's just the way it is.
USC has a strict "no hazing" policy. Even my own band director in high school told me that this was going to happen (he was from UCLA) it turned out to be totally untrue.

Quote:
2. The USC marching band was restricted from flying American Airlines because on a return flight to LA they thought it would be funny to run back and forth on the airplane, causing it to roll dangerously as the pilot was trying to land.
During my 8 years with the band (marching and teaching) USC has used American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Quantas, Cathay, and a number of other airline companies. Another rumor, I guess. There is no ban as far as I know.

Quote:
3. The waddle-step. This "marching style" is best done in diapers.
It's all about style. Glide stepping is definitely easier. I've marched with both. I even got a "best marcher" award in corps. The high step style is much flashier, pronounced, and exciting. UCLA tends to have quite a few people on the field with horrible glide technique, out of step, and out of phase. I counted over a dozen people out of phase the last time I saw UCLA.

Quote:
4. Tone quality? What's tone quality?
Another style issue. Tone quality can be many things. Some bands have a very round, dark sound which is very characteristic of European-based concert music. IMO, that type of "quality" sounds terrible for jazz and rock (like elevator music). The classical realm reeks of snobbiness by trying to enforce that there is only one right style. I personally like the forward, bright, tone quality of the TMB. I'm a fan of all types of music and styles.

Quote:
5. USC plays two songs. Over, and over, and over again.
The USC band plays for every down at football games. When you play a chorus of Fight On! every time the Trojans get a first down, you KNOW you're going to hear it a lot. This is especially true with the football team being absolutely dominating. I like how the other band counts how many times the USC TMB plays a song. The band "book" consists of 7 school songs, ~20-30 rock charts (stands tunes), 7-8 halftime shows, 9 cadences, and a whole book of warmups and exercises. UCLA only plays 2 halftime shows (one of which was a Mickey Mouse show, LOL)

Quote:
1. banned from all hotels within the city and county of San Francisco for drunken disorderly behavior, petty theft, and vandalism
I go to San Francisco each year with the USC TMB (to Cal or Stanford). We have stayed in the city many times only sometimes staying by the airport so we can get suites at the Embassy Suites (all within San Francisco county). Seriously, how could ALL hotels ban a marching band in a city/county? This is probably the stupidest rumor I've heard.

Quote:
2. banned from a major airline for trying to tilt an airplane during landing (that's actually pretty smart for a trojan, to coordinate that many people to try and kill themselves. too bad they were unsuccessful)
Ooh, this one again. Okay, this might be even stupider than the hotel thing. Oh right, UCLA bandsmen hardly travel via air so it must be feasible to believe this one, right? Wishing death on Trojans, God I love this rivalry.

Quote:
3. stolen about $10,000 of instruments from the UCLA Band equipment truck during a friendly flag football team between each schools band members
Ooh! I too can play this game. I've also heard that the UCLA band's equipment truck was parked on the busiest street on campus, unlocked. UCLA's director even went to the newspaper to try to report this even when no one was ever actually cited. I've also heard the rumor that fraternities AT UCLA give "points" to their pledges for stealing uniform parts from their OWN BAND (my source: a former UCLA trumpet player). Considering the USC band members were either playing flag football or cheering on the sidelines, I don't really see how one could deduct that people would be able to steal $10,000 (the news paper said something like $30,000) worth of instruments. Oh, and it was also reported that "hate messages" were written on the truck as well... something about anti-Jewish slurs. Well, the USC band does have a number of Jewish members and that seems like a pretty over-the-top accusation as well. I don't think ANY Jewish people would be a part of the USC band if that type of thing was going on. I think it's pretty disgusting that anyone would ever make up something like this because it is really no joking matter.

Quote:
4. generally embarrased themselves and their school for being the largest coordinated group of idiots to walk the planet proud of their "achievements."
The real embarrassment here is how negatively UCLA band members have reacted right here. UCLA band members are the first to pull the "class card" but seem to lack any of it behind the anonymity of the internet. Weak.

Quote:
Hi there, I go to UCLA. Our director gave us your site because it was bashing U$C.
This was written as a reply to the journal entry. Why would a BAND DIRECTOR promote this!? *shakes head*

Quote:
why would anyone want to be in a band that likes to think they're rock stars and then ATTEMPT to ghetto dance on the field when their band is made up of a majority of white kids. They obviously need to get a reality check on what their race is.
That is completely racist. My question is, would you want to be involved in a band where people actually act feel like that? I guess affirmative action in the UC system hasn't gone too far.


I've even had some high school students IM me and tell me that they even see through the BS. Don't get me wrong, I love the rivalry but all of that should be proven on the field. UCLA has done nothing but to try to spread untrue rumors about the USC band for as long as I have been involved. There are a lot of stories that everyone seems to know about first hand but I have never seen any proof of any of it. But I guess this is all small-talk and the proof is on the field. I've seen the UCLA band continue to shrink in size, lose volume, lose technique, and lose support from their own fans. I have seen the USC band grow over the years, improve playing, improve on marching, and the gigs seem to get better and better as time goes by.

I apologize for the drama. The only reason I'm participating is to show how horribly wrong these rumors are (and it should be pretty obvious to everyone anyway). Don't buy into the propaganda. In the marching band world, certain things are very trendy. Appreciate unique bands. Look for excellence all around you. Share your music with the world (not just band competition judges) and the reward will be high recognition.

That's my 2 cents.

Fight On! Beat the bRuins!!!
-zookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:45 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 483
Location: Chino, CA
You just got to love the flame and bad grammar coming from westwood...

Loads of class you show by bashing. Just like always. You remind me of a younger sibling that cries to a parent about the older sibling doing something that of course they did not do. While the parent is chastising the older sibling and commending the younger sibling, and not watching, the younger sibling does the NEENER NEENER NEENER teasing thing. Very mature.

I am tired of hearing the "we have class and you do not" thing while you cite things that happened more than 5 years ago, even some that happened 20+ years ago. This is a different USC Band, but you are too blind from either hatred, ignorance, or envy to see it and acknowledge it. Also, the Sudler was 11 years ago. Time to get over it already. Such recognition from 11 years ago is not an accurate measure of the current status of your organization.

Regarding the wonderful site for which the URL was provided, I would have to say that if you asked the UM Tubas about their experience they would disagree. We actually talked to them and socialized with them. Very nice and fun to be around. I am sure that one of the other Tuba section members will provide the group pic we took at the rehearsal.

And for anyone that thinks the UM is full of angels, which band is(?), I have an interesting anecdote to share. After the Rose Parade, I was on my way to the In-N-Out trucks (hmm Hamburger...). Walking along with my wife, I was passing a group of UM bandies. One was turned around, not looking where he was going, mouth running at a million miles an hour. Before he ran into me, and most likely would have been knocked to the ground since I was twice as big as him, I gently and politely reached out to help him in avoiding injury. I accompanied it by saying, "Be careful there. Watch where you are going."

Want to know what I got in response for my friendly gesture? "Don't F***ing touch me. Don't F***ing talk to me. Get the F*** away from me."

Don't even get me started on the "wondeful" treatment I have gotten from bRuins. I also love the fact that their band director points out web sites that bash USC. That must be where you get your concept of classy behavior from.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:51 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:16 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Trabuco Canyon / Foothill Ranch
For clarification in this mess the UCLA people didn't get the link to this forum from their director.

_________________
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:03 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 7:22 pm
Posts: 32
[UCI]-Mike wrote:
Also as a moderating note I don't think this thread has gotten out of hand.
I agree... hahaha... this is really amusing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:07 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:16 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Trabuco Canyon / Foothill Ranch
zookie wrote:
[UCI]-Mike wrote:
Also as a moderating note I don't think this thread has gotten out of hand.
I agree... hahaha... this is really amusing.


Actually it's getting there but this is what Shoto Hanai gets for starting a thread with a heated topic.

Personally this is more interesting than the petty high school band rivalry stuff that gets out of hand.

Tone it down folks.

_________________
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:12 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:12 pm
Posts: 528
Location: omfg ur a stalker aren't you!
You, my UCLA and USC friends, have humbled me. I once thought that because of the Political Thread in the Off Topic section that I was the best as fanning flame wars on these forums. I was, however, terribly wrong. So keep it up, USC and UCLA fan boys, because arguing on the internet is step one of my patented three step get-rich-quick scheme that ends with profit. Just don't ask what step two is.


figure 1.

1) Argue on teh interweb
2) ???
3) Profit!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Which band do favor more, and why?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:46 pm
Posts: 1
Shota Hanai wrote:

High school people of Southern California... which band is more favorable... USC or UCLA and please explain why. No need for any aggression or putting up a fight. Just feel free to share how much you favor one of the two.



people....what happened to the point of this post? it seems like it has turned into a place for UCLA and USC peope to slam each other.....lets leave that for at games or whatever...

as for me, i'm going to pick UCLA simply because i prefer their traditional style of marching to USC's waddle, and i think the Bruins on a whole have a better sound.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: geeks gone wild
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:21 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:16 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Trabuco Canyon / Foothill Ranch
Havokdrumms wrote:
I only recently have started looking at this site, and it's just been this thread because it pertains to me. Let me just say that any BAND DIRECTOR that gives links to his students to online forums and encourages them to post on the internet about how great their band is honestly does not instill that kind of attitude enough on the field, because if he did, they'd only be the response to criticism on these message boards, as opposed to the instigators.

With that said, Shoda Hanai is not in the USC drumline. He's part of the prop crew. He carries a ladder around on gameday and helps with logistics. Just a quick question for you bRuin drummers, how many students on your recruit list do you have already for next season? We've got close to 80 for the drumline alone here at SC, in FEBRUARY.

It's kinda funny now that all of a sudden when the band director passes out the link, all the bRuin bandies come out of the woods. That only serves to prove a point:

YOU ARE ALL THE BIGGEST TOOLS...EVER.


This post proves the point that you got all worked up over false information. The link to this site wasn't given by their band director.

_________________
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:27 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:36 pm
Posts: 213
Location: Yorba Linda, California
all i have to say is that the reason the Trojans play those 3 songs over and over is because all the Trojan Football fans like it and the opposing football fans hate it. Its like annoying people on purpose. I have seen the UCLA band perform and they are not as exciting as USC. I'm not trying to be byast either although it sounds like it. Even if they were out of tune i would much rather see the USC band because the music is much more exciting and their drumline i think is much better. I like their cadences mush more too.

_________________
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics