BBMM Alumni Band Gig is this weekend

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Mycroft
New Recruit
New Recruit

BBMM Alumni Band Gig is this weekend

Post by Mycroft » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:55 pm

The Big Brown Muisc Machine Alumni Band will be performing at the January 24th CSULB basketball game. Please see the website for details

http://www.csulb.edu/bbmmab/

Here something from the old days.

Now I want you to remember that no trombone section ever was heard by sucking on a straw. Theywere heard by making the poor dumb sections listen to their section. Men, all this stuff you've heard about trombone sections blending, not wanting to be heard, is a lot of horse dung. Trombone sections traditionally love to be heard. ALL REAL trombone sections love the constant motion by the conductor to tone it down. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball players, and the toughest boxers . . . Trombone Sections love fortissimo and will not tolerate a piano. Trombonist love volume. I wouldn't give a hoot in Hell for a Trombone section that played and was not heard. That's why Trombone Sections will never be soft and will never let other sections in an assemble out play them. Because the very thought of not being heard is hateful to trombonists. Now, a trombone section is a team. It lives, eats, and sleeps, plays as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The pompous bureaucrats, who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Band Staff Magazine, don't know anything more about real trombone playing than they do about petal tones. Now we have the finest mouthpieces and horns, the best spirit, and the best personnel in the world. You know . . . My God; I actually pity those other sections we're playing with. My God, I do. We're not just going to play full and big, we're going to cover the rest of the group until the conductor is turning red and using words that only George Carlin uses. We're going to burry those treble playing wind suckers. Now some of you musicians, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under heat of the music. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you'll will play to the volumes necessary. The music is your friend. Wade into the notes. Take in lots of air; use the bottom of your lungs. When you start to hear the third trumpet part, that moment ago was nonexistent; you'll know what to do. Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get see any one laying out for a measure or two. We are not resting for anything, will let saxophones do that. We are playing constantly and we're not interested in playing softly except for the French Horn solo. We're going to play big and full and cover any section that is not willing to join us in volume. We're going to pump hot air through the horn like band director eats a donut. Now, there's one thing that you trombonist will be able to say when you don't have trombone in your hands, and you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you, "What did you do in music?" You won't have to say, "Well, I made a lot of sound, but no one heard" All right now, you bringers of sound, you know how I feel. I will be proud to play you wonderful musicians anytime, anywhere. That's all."

George S. Trombonist

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:42 pm

Hey-
Just letting you know that there is an "edit post" option in the top right corner of your post. Please use that to edit your posts.
I've gone ahead and done it for you this time, which is why your post with the second link has been deleted.
Thanks!

FM
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Mycroft
New Recruit
New Recruit

Thanks

Post by Mycroft » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:29 pm

Got it, you guys run a first class joint here. Keep it going