Greatest High School Marching Band Moment

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:37 pm

Wow, I really like this topic. It's creative. Good thinking!

I think the greatest moment of my young marching band career was this year, at the Westminster tournament. The night was cold and there was a storm coming on, so there was lightning and a little bit of cold drizzly rain. Fortunately, we went on while it was sorta calm, although I was freaked out to put on our 16 inch plumes. So anyway, there was this dark, beautiful part of the show where the whole band is playing and everything is huge and the band is at a standstill, and then there is a hold where we did a push, and at that moment, this gorgeous lightning bolt struck right behind us. It really could not have been more perfect. :D
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:52 pm

I think the best band moment that I've had is when my drumline won Sweepstakes at the Temecula Valley Tournament this year. Like when they announced the percussion sweepstakes and they said our name our whole band like looked at eachother for a minute trying to figure out if they really said Ramona High. But after a minute or so our whole band broke out cheering and me an the rest of the percussion ran down on the field after they were done announcing the sweepstakes an tackled our drumline captain. It was great. Before that we didnt win sweepstakes for like 4 or 5 years. My throat was sore by the time we got on the bus lol. I will always remember that moment and hopefully we will do it again next year :)

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:31 pm

AFlyingDrummer wrote:I actually have two that are equally as memorable.

First: It happened at the Rubidoux Tournament this year. We went on just like any other performance. We got to the ballad part of the show and all of the sudden the lights just go out. The shocking thing, we didn't stop. We just kept performing the show with the crowd going crazy. It was such a great feeling to have everyone cheering for us.
I have a memory similar to that. It was at the Chino Invitational Tournament last year. My band had one minute before our performance was supposed to begin, and the lights went out. My director then wanted us to play our ballad. It was pretty cool.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Most memorable

Post by BlueStarMom » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:15 pm

I was there and I remember both moments. I agree.
BlueStarMom
:)

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:53 pm

i must say for me at the end of our third tune in every one of our shows this year where we step off on the track and playing the loudest note in our show
its just such a great feeling like all your adrenaline building up to this point
and then to go on from there and finishing up our show strong
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:25 pm

my best moment was when we were at the fiesta bowl and the band had been riding us about how we were pulling them down and as a whole our band got 5th. and being one of the smallest bands there it was an awsome feeling. but what topped it off was when we got off the field for awards our instructor came on the bus when we were changing and told us we had gotten 3rd witha 90 and that the colorguard hadnt broke 90 for like 7 years. most of us just started crying and we got hugs from all the bandos that harrased us the whole season and they all cheered for us.
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:37 pm

With all due respect to Clovis West, perhaps a pivotal time for California came in 1992 when CW was beaten for the first time (in some time) by Etiwanda. It was just nice to see an "underdog" finally come out on top.

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Great Topic

Post by Ace » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:38 pm

My favorite moment wasn't a good thing but it made me content. It was at this year's Champs. at Long Beach City College. For our (Riv. Poly) show we had sound bites. They were clips of famous speeches from civil rights people. I was in the pit and one of my tasks was to start and stop the sound bites on the CD player. It came down to the last soundbite at the end of the show. I decided to check on the cd player because i wasn't playing vibes at the time. When I tried to change the cd player to the next track it wouldn't do anything. It just froze. There was no lock on the buttons either. This had happened before and I didn't know what to do. But here's where the proudest moment came......I just opened the CD player then closed it so it could re-read the CD. Once the CD was read I went straight to the last sound bite. It worked and came in right on time. The reason why this was of significance to me was because it showed to me that we learn something new in every show. If it would have never done that in another show then I wouldn't have known what to do and my badn director would have killed me. I always take a show seriously but have fun at the same time. And this minor event helped to re-spark a major idea in a show.
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:50 pm

well do far mine has been my sophmore(sp?) year.. when THSDM03 was drum major.. we had the dreaded 12's.. it was this really fast sectoins where the saxs had to almost jazz run backwards..(weve never had to do it before..) and when we nailed it.. it was one of the coolest things ever.. = )
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05