Who do you look up to?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

phlpngeek04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Who do you look up to?

Post by phlpngeek04 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:33 pm

Who do you look up to in your band? :bow: It can be anyone like your band director, section leader, drum major, it could be anyone in your band. The one person I have always looked up to is my drum major, John Weier, from my freshman year. He's sort of been my hero and I wanted to be just like him. So I tried out for drum major for 3 years in a row but still didn't get it. But I still look up to him. So who's your "hero"?
Last edited by phlpngeek04 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cpl Fontilara
USMC
Currently at MCAS Miramar, San Diego, CA

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:11 pm

I look up to our Drum Major from both my freshman and sophomore year. She played(well, plays) clarinet, like I do, and she was the first Drum Major I ever saw/met. She made such an impression on me. She was someone I could go to my freshman year when I was scared of our band director, and she could also be a leader to listen to(intimidating, when needed) as well as a friend, or just one of us. She is also the one who taught me the art of Drum Majoring, and she is someone I feel comfortable going to for advice-ANY sort. She's just the type of person people like to look up to...lol.
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

VHSTrumpetGuy86
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VHSTrumpetGuy86 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:22 am

If I had to pick, out of all the people that ever existed, I would pick Miles Davis. His trumpet playing sang into hearts of thousands and his legend still lives on long after his death. I only truely began to appriciate his works until I did a biography on him in the 11th grade. Its amazing how much information you can gather from the library. Alright thats all I have to say about that :D

-Mitch
-Valencia High School
-Class 4A SCSBOA Champions

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:41 pm

The person I most look up to is our Parade Drum Major. Whenever I see her spin I always say to myself, I want to be like that one day. She is also my best friend and I can go to her with just about anything. She also plays the clarinet which I think is totally awsome. So she's the person I look up to in my band. :)

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:40 pm

I know he's gonna smile when he reads this, but I look up to my assistant band director. Due to the fact that I've known him for going on 4 years this year, and well, he's one of those guys that you don't consider your teacher, more of that guy whom you have to listen to and stuff. ( :wink: ) But also both of my directors because I really want to be like them some day and be sitting in front of a group of young musicians and be able to teach them the same stuff that they have taught me! :D
OHS '01 - '05

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:14 pm

I look up to someone who's no longer here. She was here last year as the oh-so-cool Junior for me to look up to as a scared freshman. She was great, she had so much style with her work and she didn't really let anyone get her down. Not to mention she owned her work. I wanted to be like Biz..
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

punkbandgurl127
Rookie
Rookie

Post by punkbandgurl127 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:13 pm

I look to My BD hes great and is always there for us. I remember my freshmen year i was so scared and i wanted to quit but my BD didnt let me and told my to be strong and ever since that day i have always look up to my BD :wink:

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:49 pm

My band director is my Hero. Mr. Stratton is well known for his witty jokes (sandi walks into a bar...and the bartender asks "why the long face?"), mean sense of humor (nose!), sarcastic remarks (out of the mouth of babes), and his awesome teaching abilities. I wish I could say with him forever, but everyone knows that you can't. This is why I'm going to make him adopt me! No seriously, I'm going to devote my life of music to him, it's because of him that I've made it this far. He doesn't focus on my music, he just listens to my problems and in turn it helps my learning skills, playing and teaching. He's awesome in every way. The main thing to know about him is he doesn't mean to be "mean" to anyone. If he makes fun of you, he likes you. If his nice to you, you're in trouble. I love ya' Big Guy! :bow: :stupid: :bleah:
LP/O Rocks!!!!!! Oh yes, we are, superior by far!!!!!

Q: How can you tell which kid on the playground is the child of a trombonist?

A: They don't know how to use the slide and can't swing.

http://lpoalliance.tripod.com

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:34 pm

.....aw shucks..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:26 pm

i look up to my band director becaus he has done soo much with our band program in the last 4 years. I also look up to our senter snare because he practiced like no one i have ever seen and has gotten where he is in one semester.

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:08 am

must say my band directors
all very great people that inspire our band to do our best
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

2 drum majors, diff years

Post by RifleLova » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:38 am

the only person i've looked up to was one of my drum major from freshmen year, she was awesome! well i guess i kinda look up to one of my drum major's last year, she was a great person too. thaz it.
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

loserface
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by loserface » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:52 am

he knows it already, but the person i look up to musically is my first drumline instructor, mista tony t. nguyen. he is so generous, sincere, loving, and kind that it's easy to overlook how talented he is. i love his style of teaching: teacher first, but friend always. it worked better on unruly members than any of the instructors that taught by the rule of teacher first and only. he's what i want to be all around and one of the very best friends i've ever had.
garden grove hs graduate.

first came orchestra.
then jazz band.
oh, what the hey. i'm sure i can handle band and drumline, too!

strings and percussion make life great.

mista nowak's best friend forever.

1-2-3, you know!