Greatest Street Band of All Time?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Judging Standards

Post by dr » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:44 pm

altohack wrote: Okay I am a young un in comparison to all of you (15 as of now) but from what my band directors have told me, showmanship was hardcore at long beach. Judges would watch whether girls would have their hair put up correctly, and whether guys had whiskers on their chins.
Pant leg sizes had to be exact and everything...
I think that showmanship back then was better than it is now, as for musicality... someone else will have to judge.
Yes, 15 is a young-un.

As John pointed out, the infractions you mention - hair, pant length, facial hair, etc. were a critical part of the inspection sheet, which is no longer used. At some events the inspection score (.1 point for each infraction) fine-tuned the placement of the top bands (and irritatingly skewed the results of certain All-Western Band Reviews and Tournament of Champions).

The inspection sheet included:
Attire - headgear, jacket, insignia, awards, tie, shirt, gloves, cords, sashes, belt, buckles, buttons, trousers, skirt, shoes, boots, socks, spats

Personal - grooming, bobby pins, clips, cosmetics, jewelry

Equipment - position, condition

Instruments - position, condition

For a few years at the Long Beach All-Western Band Review, there were TWO inspection judges hired - one for above the waist, the second for below the waist.

John mentioned that a problem had arisen with combined events with field tournament competition in the morning followed by band review competition. To explain a little further, there was a great deal of concern that many of the morning field competitors didn't have the time to properly (and fairly) prepare for the band review after their field performance. Chalk dust and/or dirt from the track was difficult to remove completely prior to the inspection at the band review. Band directors of those morning tournament bands felt it wasn't "fair" for those bands to compete against bands that arrived in pristine condition.

If the inspection sheet were still in use today imagine the problems arising from the trendy tattoos, piercings, jewelry, facial hair, sideburn length, etc. that are so popular with that age group today.... They would all have to match! And let's not even get into the grass stains, etc. the auxiliary (and sometimes the band) has to deal with from all the rolling around, etc. on the field during a field show performance today. The times have changed.

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Give the man a cigar....

Post by vore » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:03 pm

Everything that DR has posted is one hundred percent dead right on!

vore
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:33 am

By the way, I'll be sure to get a copy of that book Mr. Hausey.
Yeah...but not until he has me proof read it.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:35 am

Attire - headgear, jacket, insignia, awards, tie, shirt, gloves, cords, sashes, belt, buckles, buttons, trousers, skirt, shoes, boots, socks, spats
Uhhhhhhhhhh....you said SPATS!!!

SPATS!!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh...I haven't worn those since my days clomping around with the Boys' Club Band of Pasadena playing March Grandioso.

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:40 am

dr wrote: If the inspection sheet were still in use today imagine the problems arising from the trendy tattoos, piercings, jewelry, facial hair, sideburn length, etc. that are so popular with that age group today.... They would all have to match! And let's not even get into the grass stains, etc. the auxiliary (and sometimes the band) has to deal with from all the rolling around, etc. on the field during a field show performance today. The times have changed.
I'm sure we wouldn't mind changing our ways for band...

Inspections, not showmanship... my mistake.
No regrets

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Interesting..

Post by JCYS » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:34 pm

An interesting trip down memory lane...

BTW...CSULB drum major while I was there was Fred Deluzio, who had won military at All Western in 72 while at West High in Torrance. There were some very impressive mace drum majors from Chino in the early 70's including Pat Briney (AKA "buzzsaw") and Mark Eastman. An irony was that Pat, who was much favored to win All Western in 72 lost to Kippy Wroton of Villa Park, who later become director at Chino HS. On last hearing from Dennis Rodda Pat was a minister and Mark a doctor..or something like that.

As VORE said, much of what he did at Magnolia was probably handed down from his mentors, just as much of what he taught us, his ex-student teachers, gets handed down to our bands today...and John has MANY ex student teachers, including Fred Deluzio (who sadly is not in "the biz" any more.)

But, a question I have never asked John, was who came up with the idea of a full rank of sousaphones on the street??? Was that a Benton Minor thing, or something else? I think that had one of the most dramatic impacts on the concept of sound in parade band ever. I mean, some of the big bands in So Cal had 4 or 5 tubas for a 110+ band, but I don't recall ever seeing 7 or 9 tubas until Magnolia. Or am I wrong about that? I was once told to "never take the street with less than 5 tubas" and have done my best to follow that advice.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view) the catagory of "standing inspection" lives on in Northern California in NCBA band reviews. And yes, it still can be problematic, though less so in recent years. It is not mandatory in the NCBA, but most events use it. And it does keep grooming standards pretty high (ie, loose hair, pant lengths, etc).

And yes, I was in that CSULB band that went to BYU in fall of 77. It was the most freezing experience I ever care not to do again. And brass instruments do not respond well in those kind of temperatures.

Being at CSULB in those years was...well..an experience. There were alot of great musicians, some of whom remain friends to this day, as well as great mentors (and friends) like Gordy Norman.

By the way, if any of you ever get in the mood for a good band review, come on up north and watch an NCBA review, like Santa Cruz or Pleasanton or one of the other 3 dozen we have to offer.

>JCYS

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Aw shucks again....

Post by vore » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:36 pm

Jeff Stratton is too kind to this old man...

Full rank of sousaphones was very common for the Grossmont (Jim Nichols) and Anaheim (Don Wilcox, Ross Davis) HS Band's of the mid 1960's. Others bands from the early 1960's that had full ranks (yes, I have photos from these times) were Anaheim (H. Robert Reynolds), Mt. Miguel (Larry Christianson), El Cajon (Benton Minor), Pasadena (Benton Minor), Arcadia (Ron Hoar). Loara (Rick Marino) in the 1970's, Magnolia (yours truely) from the late 1970's until the 1990's. Antelope Valley (Joe Acciani) in the late 1970's and early 1980's.... and etc..... Also, Poway HS of the 1980's (Marc Davis).

I haven't named the bands of the last 10 years because most band folk know these...

wait for my book...

vore

John Hausey

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: Aw shucks again....

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:11 am

wait for my book...
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

:bleah:

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

You make me laugh...

Post by vore » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:06 pm

Ryan,

You are funny... Hope to see you at our PCCB Concert this next week!

John

Brich
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Aw shucks again....

Post by Brich » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:07 am

vore wrote:Jeff Stratton is too kind to this old man...

Full rank of sousaphones was very common for the Grossmont (Jim Nichols) and Anaheim (Don Wilcox, Ross Davis) HS Band's of the mid 1960's. Others bands from the early 1960's that had full ranks (yes, I have photos from these times) were Anaheim (H. Robert Reynolds), Mt. Miguel (Larry Christianson), El Cajon (Benton Minor), Pasadena (Benton Minor), Arcadia (Ron Hoar). Loara (Rick Marino) in the 1970's, Magnolia (yours truely) from the late 1970's until the 1990's. Antelope Valley (Joe Acciani) in the late 1970's and early 1980's.... and etc..... Also, Poway HS of the 1980's (Marc Davis).

I haven't named the bands of the last 10 years because most band folk know these...

wait for my book...

vore

John Hausey
Looking at the photo of the CSULB band at the 1977 Rose parade (from the BBMM alumni site), it looks like Curtis positioned 20 Sousaphones in three separate ranks, roughly tri-secting the block. Although it's hard to tell for certain, the instrumentation may have been configured as three bands within the block to go after a sound balance for TV.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

CSULB Rose Parade Band

Post by PGOK » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:08 pm

Brich wrote:

wait for my book...

vore

John Hausey
Looking at the photo of the CSULB band at the 1977 Rose parade (from the BBMM alumni site), it looks like Curtis positioned 20 Sousaphones in three separate ranks, roughly tri-secting the block. Although it's hard to tell for certain, the instrumentation may have been configured as three bands within the block to go after a sound balance for TV.

That is correct. Each section was set up like our field block. I was in the first Saxophone Rank, about 3 or 4 from the right side. In my years in the BBMM, it was the only parade we did, and with the exception of about 16 counts in one show, the only time we marched forward with a stride. Also, we took time to to creat a right turn that went at the exact angle of Orange Grove to Colorado (not a 90 degree turn).

I do have to say our music choices were unfortunate. As I remember Touch of Beethoven and Baby Face, maybe one or two others. I would have paid big money to hear that band play Purple Carnival.
Last edited by PGOK on Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Interesting..

Post by PGOK » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:16 pm

jcys wrote: BTW...CSULB drum major while I was there was Fred Deluzio, who had won military at All Western in 72 while at West High in Torrance.

And yes, I was in that CSULB band that went to BYU in fall of 77. It was the most freezing experience I ever care not to do again. And brass instruments do not respond well in those kind of temperatures.

>JCYS
As I recall, when Fred accepted his trophy from Miss Long Beach, he dipped her, in a very theatrical manner, and planted a kiss on her.:oops:

At that BYU game, I recall it snowing during our rehearsal. And at the game, the locals said it had not been that cold in a long time. About three numbers into the show, my mouth went numb, and I could not create an embouchure. Boy what fun! :D
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

More on Sousaphones

Post by PGOK » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:22 pm

wait for my book...

vore

John Hausey
I once heard Benton Minor speaking about parade bands and sousasphones. One of the things he mentioned was the Bakersfielld High School Band, one of the top bands in the 1950s and early 60s, with a full rank of sousaphones spelling out "DRILLERS". One of the points I remember him making was that they were in the last rank, and he did not like that I (and I agree).

Is there a time frame on the book? I cannot wait to read it.

— Groucho Marx

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Fred and the kiss...

Post by vore » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:33 am

Fred Deluzio worked at Magnolia HS for me as a color guard instructor and then a student teacher in the late 1970's...

Fred told me many stories "off and on the record" regarding his CSULB drum major experiences including the kiss with Miss LB! Fred and his family live in Cypress where his son played saxophone in the high school band. He looks and sounds the same... a great person!

Fred is one of the "good guys".

vore

Brich
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Interesting..

Post by Brich » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:53 pm

PGOK wrote:
jcys wrote: BTW...CSULB drum major while I was there was Fred Deluzio, who had won military at All Western in 72 while at West High in Torrance.

>JCYS
As I recall, when Fred accepted his trophy from Miss Long Beach, he dipped her, in a very theatrical manner, and planted a kiss on her.:oops:

At that BYU game, I recall it snowing during our rehearsal. And at the game, the locals said it had not been that cold in a long time. About three numbers into the show, my mouth went numb, and I could not create an embouchure. Boy what fun! :D
I was up in Provo doing post-grad work, and saw and heard that rehearsal in the lot across from the stadium. A few of the BYU band members and staff told me later how impressed they were with the power and musicianship on display. Yeah, the crowd at the game got cheated because the sound couldn't project in 15 degree conditions; but that group was a real machine; and as a CSULB member from the H Robert Reynolds era, I was extremely proud of what I saw and heard that day.