What other schools do age out?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

MHSTrTu

What other schools do age out?

Post by MHSTrTu » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:14 am

At Moorpark our last competition is Santa Barbara which is very late in the season. We have an age out performance afterwards when all the seniors step out and the show is played for them. It is highly emotional and great to be around. What other schools do it or what do you think about it?

Band Mom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Band Mom » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:53 pm

At Chino, for their last Tuesday night practice. They all practice together and then Mr. Bowden calls them off and just the Freshman play the opener. All the other students and parents, go in the stands and cheer them on. Then the Sophmores, Juniors, and last the Seniors. Each class cheers the others on. Mr Bowden says something about each class. It is very emotional.

Then before TOC and now SCOSBA Championship, Bowden gives each senior a gold braid to wear on their uniform. The announcer always mentions the special seniors and they dedicate that performance to the seniors.

It is a tradition that each student looks forward to.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Age out

Post by BlueStarMom » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:24 pm

At John W North, the Blue Star Regiment has its own special ceremony recognizing the seniors in the band.

After performing, the graduating seniors in the BSR gather around in the middle together. All of the other BSR members gather around the outside in a large circle. These members play the song "You'll Never Walk Alone",while the seniors sing the words to it. It is very emotional. My daughter was a senior, Class of 2003. I taped this ceremony, and even I was crying.

BlueStarMom
:)

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:53 pm

I think etiwanda did it after championships.
No regrets

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:58 pm

at LP/O, we have a sort of "graduation concert" where we play a bunch of songs, we usually watch a Video of the year, then we pass out awards...Most improved...best sectionleader...John Phillip Suza award...directors award...then we have the band play the march for next year, and one by one the Seniors walkf off untill its just the underclassmen. Then the seniors give the Senior gift to Mr.Stratton...its usually something funny, or cool. One year the seniors gave him a painted stand with a bunch of comments from all the seniors, then one year the seniors gave him and his wife two tickets to a resort in Taho...

*shutter* this year we have to think of something to top everyone else's gift

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:21 pm

Also in Lp/O, at the end of the year, all the undergraduate classmen in the drumline just stare at the seniors, all day they dont say a single thing to them, and they never speak a word to them again, kind of like a, 'hey, it was fun, dont ever bug me again with your pushing me around and making me run laps' thing. Boy... cant wait for MY turn this year
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:17 pm

In high school: end of year awards banquet.

In college: at the concluding pep band basketball game the graduating band members and cheerleaders are given an honorable mention at half time.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

Band Mom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Band Mom » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:11 am

At Chino's Banquet they give the seniors a coursage or booteneer. These have been made out of silk flowers. Four year music seniors get a medal to wear at graduation.

Then at the closing concert they give the seniors fresh flowers and acknowledge them all again.

After the graduation ceremony, all band member make a horseshoe formation and the seniors go from person to person.

When my daughter graduated Mr Bowden was one of the faculty claaing out names. She was on his side of the stage. It meant so much to her. If he would just remember how to prounounce her last name.

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:09 pm

at trabuco the seniors do a run through by themselves and the rest of the band stands on the sides and palys while guard does work. this year the seniors got corsages to wear during finals.
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

lildrummergirl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lildrummergirl » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:10 pm

At madera, the school has a senior night they honor the football, band/pit, and guard seniors. also, at our last competion we had all the seniors play the show and then they got in line and the whole band walked through and shook hands with them.

MHSpitchick
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MHSpitchick » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:22 pm

All I have to say is that Age Out was sooo awesome last night. If I was a senior that would have meant so much to me. I looked up and saw them crying, and I was like wow...Thats gonna be me in two years.
*MoOrPaRk hiGh*
*02-*03 maLLeT LiNE
*03 fALL- PiT cAptAiN /maLLeT LiNE
*04 sPriNG- PeRcUsSiOn cAptAiN/maLLet LiNE

aznxdarkricex
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by aznxdarkricex » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:38 pm

at temple city on the lasy thursday night rehearsal and the 2nd to last run through the seniors step out and watch us in the stands and cheer for us. lol

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:41 pm

At my band's last rehearsal, we did the senior basics block, and the senior circle, where all the non-seniors play the show for the Seniors. Then at Arcadia, we hold our senior line. Seniors line up, and the other members go down the line and thank the Seniors. Plenty of hugs and tears. Finally, at the awards banquet, each senior is recognized. They walk across the stage and shake the directors' hands as memories written by that senior are read out loud.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...