Veteran

2004 Tournament Of Roses Bands Selected

Post by Mr Pageantry » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:29 pm

TOURNAMENT OF ROSES PARADE THEMED
MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC
BRINGS WORLD CLASS BANDS TO PASADENA JANUARY 1, 2004

24 Bands From Around the Globe
to March in 115th Rose Parade

PASADENA, CA. (February 1, 2003) -- Tournament of Roses President Michael K. Riffey today announced the selection of 24 bands from around the globe that will make the 5 1/2 mile journey down Colorado Boulevard on January 1, 2004 for the 115th Rose Parade.

The Tournament of Roses music committee reviewed hundreds of applications from the finest award winning bands in the United States and beyond, once again allowing the Rose Parade to host the best, biggest, and brightest the music world has to offer.

"Music is a language that transcends all borders and conveys so much to so many people," said Riffey when announcing his theme. "Music study teaches discipline, and school band programs often allow children to travel and experience things that they may otherwise not have been exposed to. When people experience other cultures, music is a common bond that brings them together. You can be in another country and not know the language, but hear the indigenous music and clap or tap your feet to the rhythms."

The 2004 Rose Parade will indeed transcend those many borders by getting hands clapping and feet tapping with the selection of the first ever band from Mexico, a band from Australia for only the third time, Pipes and Drums from Halifax, Nova Scotia, a Drum and Bugle Corps from Santa Clara, California and a band from Ambridge, Pennsylvania that will include a 30 piece Steel Drum group, among many other groups.

The 24 bands that will join the Tournament of Roses for this music-themed march are:

Bands Making Their 1st Appearance:
Millennium Marching Band, Wentworthville, New South Wales, Australia
33rd Halifax Pipes and Drums, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Aguiluchos Marching Band, Centro Escolar Niños Heroes de Chapultepec, Puebla, Mexico
Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corps, Santa Clara, California, USA
Temple City High School, Temple City, California, USA
Central-Carroll High School Band "Marching Pride", Carrollton, Georgia, USA
Columbus North High School "Sound of North", Columbus, Indiana, USA
Valley High School Marchmasters, West Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Clark County High School Marching Indian Band, Kahoka, Missouri, USA
Ambridge Area High School Marching Band, Ambridge, Pennsylvania, USA
Odessa-Permian Composite Band from Odessa High School and Permian High School, Odessa, Texas, USA
Returning Bands:
Riverside Community College "Marching Tigers", Riverside, California, USA – appeared in 1990 & 1997
Alexis I. Dupont High School Tiger Marching Band, Wilmington, Delaware, USA – appeared 1990, 1995 & 1999
Idaho High School All Star Marching Band, Idaho, USA – appeared in 1963
Owasso High School, Pride of Owasso Marching Band, Owasso, Oklahoma, USA – appeared in 1985, 1989 & 1995
Londonderry High School Marching "Lancer" Band, Londonderry, New Hampshire, USA – appeared 1992 & 1997
Wyoming High School All State Marching Band, Wyoming, USA – appeared in 1991 & 2000
U.S. Air Force Academy Drum and Bugle Corps "The Flight of Sound" - first appearance since 1979
Repeat Bands:
Los Angeles Unified All-District Honor Band, Los Angeles, California, USA
Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band, Pasadena, California, USA
Salvation Army Tournament of Roses Band
U.S. Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band
Two Rose Bowl Game Participating University Bands
The 115th Rose parade themed Music Music Music, will take place on Thursday, January 1, 2004 at 8:00 a.m. (PST) featuring spirited marching bands from throughout the nation, majestic floral floats, and high-stepping equestrian units. Following the Rose Parade at 2:00 p.m. (PST), the 90th Rose Bowl Game will feature an exciting match up between two championship teams, showcasing the best of collegiate football. For additional information, please call (626) 449-ROSE, the 24-hour information hotline, or visit www.tournamentofroses.com.

Posted By Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:00 am

u kno wut makes me mad
the cameras barely stay with the bands
always skipping over to the floats and stuff

who actually pays attention to all the horses?
sure they r nice and everything but i ono
all that stuff they leave behind on the actual road

o wells at least they show the bands i guess
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

rose bowl

Post by Cole167888 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:32 pm

the best coverage is HGtv..no commercials and its live, it goes in real time with the parade, very nice
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:17 am

As long as you can deal with Stephanie Edwards's high end remarks, KTLA Los Angeles accually has pretty good camera shots of most of the performing units.

Though I am still upset of their pour shots of Kashiwa High School's performance back in the 2000 parade.
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SithScorp » Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:53 pm

What irks me, is when Mr. B has posted this wonderful information someone replies with some of the worse spelling I have ever seen in a post...

I guess it is that "new english" I have been hearing about where you may invent your own spellings...

Maybe they should add a spellcheck to the board?

BTW,

I love the fact that the Rose Parade is themed around Music. It is about time...

nhokawa
New Recruit
New Recruit

RE: 2004 Rose Parade

Post by nhokawa » Fri May 02, 2003 8:19 pm

Is it me, or do you all find the lack of California bands sad? Just a few years ago, 3-5 California bands were regularly part of the parade. Not to knock the LAUSD, but why are they given yearly representation, when we all know the lack of support most LAUSD high school music programs receive from the district? Perhaps they could be invited every other year so as to give the other great California music programs a chance to shine in the most watched parade in the world?

cyndaminthia
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by cyndaminthia » Wed May 07, 2003 4:25 pm

the always cut to commercial or something. In 1999 when my band marched in the parade, we were kinda miffed that KTLA really didn't say anything about us. Oh well. I think we got the best coverage on the spanish channel. :D
Winning is not a tradition. Winning is something you earn.

Thousand Oaks Lancer Band 1996-2000
Drum Major 1999-2000

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: RE: 2004 Rose Parade

Post by Wildabeast » Wed May 14, 2003 11:19 pm

nhokawa wrote:Is it me, or do you all find the lack of California bands sad? Just a few years ago, 3-5 California bands were regularly part of the parade. Not to knock the LAUSD, but why are they given yearly representation, when we all know the lack of support most LAUSD high school music programs receive from the district? Perhaps they could be invited every other year so as to give the other great California music programs a chance to shine in the most watched parade in the world?
I don't find it sad. I like to see other bands from out of state. There are many deserving groups that we don't get to see otherwise.
The LAUSD band is an achievement of the skills that their students have. To see so many of them is even more astounding given the support you mention. They have been a mainstream representative of the region for many years.

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Who's In The Rose Parade???

Post by Mr Pageantry » Thu May 15, 2003 9:36 am

I have worked alongside the Tournament of Roses Music Committee for a number of years... Just to clarify things a bit... The Committee has a mandate which includes selecting bands from REGIONAL areas of the USA, and foreign Countries... There are regions such as Southwest or NORTHEAST OR mID ATLANTIC Europe, Asia ETC... tHE Los Angeles All City Band is a participant every year because in one unit you will find members from more than 40 high schools in ONE major district... I find it hard to criticize the LAUSD Band because they are a masterpiece in coordination and , staff and talent... The band practices only a limited number of times before the parade.. they do so up at Didger Stadium and so kids from the Southbay, West LA, San Fernando Valley, Downtown LA and East LA all must be assembled, along with their teachers and staff for these rehearsals. The level of talent is quite good... The musical selections are based on this being a humongous BRASS BAND.. that is why the loud meliflous sound.. Just getting a uniform, and music to each student is a miracle of coordination handled by talented Tony White and his staff... The day of the parade.. busses have to pick up kids in the middle of the night all over the region and get them to the formation and dressing area very early... They really are striking as they march a solid block of hundreds and hundreds of musicians.. 3 or more Drum Majors... some 48 or more Flags.. Baton twirlers, and drill teamers... I am very prejudiced when you speak about this multi talented, multi ethnic, versatile band... It is the Best face of LA on the street before millions of people.. and the reason they do appear annually is that year after year they are one of the hits of the parade... Last year the City of Detroit sent us their all district band... they couldn't hold a candle to the LA City Band... For the first time this year in more than two decades there will NOT be a Band from Hawai'i... But Japan will hopefully return and for the first time a 'foreign band' will represent the City of Puebla in Mexico.... It is not easy sorting through the hundreds of applications each year.. and by the way.. it has been many many years since California had a large number of bands in the parade... Usually 3 is the number sometimes four... This year Temple City, The Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps Riverside Community College are California Reps. Finally The Music Chairman is about to change for 2005... The current music chairman will be moving on. Finally the Overall Chairman or Woman of the Tournament of Roses also has a say in band selection. This has opened the door to bands such as Temple City who normally would not be included in the Rose Parade... All in all The Tournament of Roses is one of the best events in the world (I've seen many of them in person)... The formula of a Float, An Equestrian Unit and a Band makes it one of the last 'parades' which is televised... Macy's and Hollywood have changed formats a bit so we now see 'opening Hollywood Extravaganza's' featuring hundreds of cheerleaders dancing to recorded music.. not exactly what we consider parade participants... Be very smart when you look at the Rose Parade.. It is a genuine classic which is respected around the world... Let's not criticize a truly amazing event.. and let's hope we never lose it.... Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

mlgbx
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mlgbx » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:01 am

ugh...
Last edited by mlgbx on Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:42 am

i always sit home and watch it on tv. i wish our band would and could go !!!!! :(
Nothing is impossible with God!

BandPicc04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Rose Parade

Post by BandPicc04 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:50 pm

Every year, our band does ushering at the rose parade for sharp seating company. We take like 80 people, and you get to see the parade for free f you don't mind getting up at like 2 am. We have to be at school by like 3:30 or 4am. It's kinda cool to see all of the out of state bands and how far they have traveled.
Thanks alot you guys....................
It was an amazing 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:41 am

how do you even get into it ?

BandPicc04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Rose Parade

Post by BandPicc04 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:27 am

I think that you just call the seating company if that is what you mean!!!
Thanks alot you guys....................
It was an amazing 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:52 pm

NO, HOW DOES YOUR BAND GET INTO THE PARADE?