SCSBOA 6A, Who won? Scores please?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:52 pm

BassClari05 wrote:
but really does everyone think that , Etiwanda really deserved the win, or did they win because of there name.

WOW! Honestly! Etiwanda is a hardworking band that has a wonderful show. I also know that for great bands and performers it's not all about winning metals and trophies. Maybe thats why after the show some Etiwanda students threw their metals to the RBV students, because they enjoyed RBV's show. Marching Band is a performing art that allows young students to perform. It isn't always about winning a metal. Yes it's great to have ajudicators rank you the best out of a group of performers, but I honestly doubt it's the name. Etiwanda is a teriffic ensemble that scored 6 points higher than any other group at BOA. They won events in both WBA and SCSBOA competition, and perform beautifully every time. People need to remember that marching band is about performing not winning trophies.

Well I do agree with you a lot BassClari05 it is not just about the win or just about getting that metal. Its about performing, its about the performance under thoses lights at 8:00 at night or during the heat at 1:00 in the afternoon. Its about being with your friends and maby you family. And I'm not saying in my past post's that "Its just about winning a metal" I just asked do you think that some groups out there and I just stated one (Etiwanda) could win with there names alone, I could state others out there too. Like MV or Logan so please don't take my coments and use them to your own words. Etiwnda is a fine groups and I know all about there wins in WBA, BOA, and SCSBOA and yes I know that they almost all the time win the BOA tittle, So I was just asking if maby their name had something to do with it. Maby a judge will think wow Etiwanda or Wow Logan is here so they must be good. So that is just my thought take it or leave it any way you would like, just dont judge my coments or use them in ways I did not use them in.....Thanx.....

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:06 pm

dudewheresmycar wrote:
Survivor wrote:OK OK all of those thoughts were quite nice. And I agree attitude is everything. If you dont have the attitude to win then you wont. But do you think that some bands out there performed a clean show but it was not the hardest one out there, yet they beat sopme bands that had harder shows. Like RB they did not have the most likeable show and I think you all can agree with that. There show was not that intertaning, but it was a hard show. Etiwanda they had a some what intertaning show but it was not hard ( or at least to me it was not ). But because it was not a hard show do you think that its fare to have them win because its less chalenging. I think that some groups out there like RB, Chino and Arcadia all have hard shows but because its not the cleanest or not the most exciting or the best marching shows they lose because of it and that is not right. I think that in order to really be called the #1 group or the best group or the OMG group you got to have all of that and im sorry but Etiwanda does not have that.....
I'm gonna have to agree with you and disagree with you on this one. Etiwanda's show was very difficult: the music and drill proved it all. I thought they deserved what they got. I however, didn't agree that El Dorado was only 0.55 points behind Etiwanda. Don't get me wrong, El Dorado's show was very entertaining, a crowd pleaser and very fun, but in terms of the level of difficulty, and their musical ability; they just don't compare to RB or Arcadia's shows. I'm sure I'm going to be lambasted for my statement, but I recorded all of the field shows and have listened to ED's show, and though they delivered something very entertaining, musically they just weren't up-to-par with the two aforementioned. The drill also wasn't something to die for. I loved the stage set-up (like everyone else) and the "field full of Katherine Zeta-Jones'", but again, the show was not as difficult as the other shows I've seen. I would have put Etiwanda in first, RB or Arcadia in second/third and the let the rest fall in place. Though I wasn't a fan of RB's show, they delivered a powerfully musical show. I can't think of any other band that could've delivered such a great repertoire on field, sounding like a wind symphony. I loved Arcadia's show with it's 400+ band and colorguard and the concert pieces they played as well. Though there were a few musical tears in their show, it still moved the audience. Congrats to everyone on a great season.
Yeah you are going to get lambasted for that, by me! For one, why do you get to decide if El Dorado's show is easy or not? Did you march it? I don't think so. And secondly who's to say what is easy? Maybe something that’s easy for you is difficult for us. You have no right to attack El Dorado for their "easy" show. I guess you didn't know that our band was predominately freshmen. Do you remember the marching skill of freshmen? (No offense to any freshmen out there). Do u you think our music was too easy? I looked at my sister’s music and I played an instrument in middle school so I do know what I’m talking about here. I’m sooooo glad I was in guard! I would not have wanted to march and play that! I mean I will always argue that guard is the more difficult of the two (j/k) but I still can't believe that any bando can march and play let alone with the music I looked at. But really, how can you really base an argument on how easy one school's show is. Here’s a nice example for you. You all are familiar with Arcadia's show right? And we all loved them marching forward and on to the track (that was so cool guys!). Could El Dorado have done something like that? Maybe. Would it have looked good? H*** no! Spreading a 190 member band all over a field just isn't as impressive as when done with a 400 member band. You have to do what works for your school. if what you call "easy" works for us then so be it. (keep in mind the class numbers). And if Etiwanda can do a "hard" show then props to them! But really the argument of hard vs. easy is pointless because you are in no power to decide what that is. So don't you go around labeling the "hard" and "easy" shows. There is no such thing. Its what your school can do.

*on a side note. I will have to agree with survivor and bassclari05, it's not about the metal or the trophy. It's about doing your best and having fun with it. And if the judges like, eh that’s cool. If you get a good score/place more power to ya, but I hope you came out of the field smiling to get there.
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

banddork04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by banddork04 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:27 pm

Uhh….. to the people that say bands win by reputation (or are aided by it), how do you think they got that reputation in the first place? By performing well and winning contests. There is no Band God that can magically bestow a band a reputation, it must be earned! Just a thought. :wink:

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:42 pm

A good one at that....... :D

ACE-Driving
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ACE-Driving » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:45 pm

Not to sound rude, but I think that argument could've been settled through PM rather than posting. Just a comment. :)
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:09 pm

ACE-Driving wrote:Not to sound rude, but I think that argument could've been settled through PM rather than posting. Just a comment. :)
Maybe so, but I wanted to make a point that shows aren't easier or harder. They are all different and I fully believe that every band/guard in 6A was equally competing against each other. I don't think any band/guard wants to be told that their show is easy. Do you, ace-driving?

My history teacher made a really good point in my class today that I’m going to share with you that will hopefully clear things up...

You know when someone asks you to define a word and you can't? You know what the word means but you don't know how to explain it. Does that mean you don't know what the word means? No, you just don't know how to express it in literate terms. Or when your physics teacher who knows how physics works tries to show you something and you don't get it and they can't explain it to you. It doesn't mean they don't know how to do it, they do, they just can't explain it, cause it's easy for them but hard for us students.

My point is that what is hard for someone may be easier for others. So it's not fair to call a show easy, ok?

And has anyone thought about the fact that just being in band/guard is hard? I mean bando's you march, changing directions while playing a piece of complicated music that you had to memorize, keeping your spacing, creating drill forms and avoid getting hitting by a flag. :lol:
Guardies: we march, while spinning, smiling, performing, pointing our toes, tossing, making drill formations, bringing character to the show, keeping our spacing and avoiding hitting band members. :lol:
Guys, the fact that we can even perform a field show is an accomplishment in itself and if a band/guard wants to take it a step up and do a move on the next level of difficulty then more power to them!

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I just don't appreciate my band/guard under attack, we've worked really hard this season and we accomplished a lot and I’m proud of us.
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:21 pm

I have a question
Which bands aren't predominately freshmen (underclassmen)?
Ms. RifleDiva stated that El Dorado is... who else?
No regrets