Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Garden Grove Showcase of Bands

Post by shagadalex » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:51 pm

Hello!
I just wanted to announce the Garden Grove Unified School District will be having its first annual Showcase of Bands Wednesday, November 19th at 6:45 PM at Bolsa Grande High School Stadium. This is a revived tradition as some of our older members may recall. The seven bands of the Garden Grove Unified School District will be performing their field shows for this exciting evening. The lineup is tentatively as follows (to my knowledge):

1) Rancho Alamitos High School Vaquero Band
2) Santiago High School Marching Cavaliers (we're a parade band so we're performing a standstill)
3) Bolsa Grande High School Marching Matadors
4) Garden Grove High School Argonaut Band
5) Pacifica High School Mighty Marching Mariners
6) La Quinta High School Marching Aztecs
7) Los Amigos Lobo Entertainment Corps

Thank you and I hope some of you will attend!
Alex
Santiago High School Marching Cavaliers C/O 2004

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Great News!!!

Post by Mr Pageantry » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:19 am

:wav: I was really glad to hear that the Garden Grove Bands are coming out of the loooooong winter of the missing.... It is good to know that the music programs are going to be more public and get some well deserved applause and public attention!!!
:frustrated: I used to attend the Garden Grove Band Spectacular years ago at Bolsa Grande Stadium.. the folks in the audience were your parents, boosters, and general public who enjoyed the bands.. Applause was generous and the junior high kids who came to see the show were encouraged....
:| The past few years has been a valiant struggle for these band programs.. the attempted elimination of some of the Grove Bands from the cities Strawberry festival Parade... and the decision to 'combine' two bands into one so they wouldn't be small resulted in many questions about the stability of the programs.. :cheers: This past Memorial Day Weekend each of the bands was back on the street marching under its own banner some were small.. most were of good size and all sounded proud and musical...
:D This should be a terrific show... :D we plan to attend...
Congratulations to all of the :king: Directors, :jester: Staff, :kiss: Student Leaders and :lurk: Band Members who worked so hard to rebuild....
:wink: We look forward to seeing all of you again.....

Harvey@worldofpageantry.com :wav:

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:43 pm

When our director, Mr. Paul Bañagas, told us last year some of the directors were trying to make it so the Garden Grove bands could rotate marching the Strawberry Festival year after year, we were upset because it was the only day of the year all the bands could be seen in one day. Being a parade band, we always looked forward to it and practiced long and hard so we could shine our brightest. Marching is not a chore, it's a priveledge. I'm glad everyone ended up marching this past year and I'm glad we now have something that'll bring the seven schools closer together as well as more public exposure. We all look forward to performing and our music is sounding really great, so I'm sure this'll be a fun evening for all.
Alex

old double reeder
New Recruit
New Recruit

Showcase of Bands info...

Post by old double reeder » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:35 pm

Great job Alex!

All seven high school booster clubs, with the full support of the district, are working together to have this be a very impressive event.

The schedule for the evening:
7:00 Rancho Alamitos (standstill)
7:15 Santiago (standstill)
7:30 Bolsa Grande
7:45 Garden Grove
8:00 La Quinta
8:15 Los Amigos
8:30 Pacifica

This is a non-competitive event. The judges will be making comments only - the focus for the evening is performing for our parents (and friends!) - this marks the end of the field show season for this year.

Tickets for the event are only $5, and are currently available through any of the high school bands. Tickets will also be sold at the gate. Ticket booths will open at 6 p.m.

In countdown mode at my house -
Kerri
Booster Pres., La Quinta
(and lead parent of the Showcase)

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:09 pm

Thank you, Kerri, for being one of the leading forces in making this event grand! I thought I should revive this thread to remind people that it is happening on the 19th, which is 3 days away from the time I posted this. I really hope some of the people here attend (even though the Anaheim Band Spectacular is occurring at the same time ;\ ). Anyways, it'll be a good chance for our bands to get some exposure (even though we're just doing a standstill, I still have a good feeling we'll be quite entertaining). Thanks!
Alex

ProDigy

Post by ProDigy » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:47 pm

Wish i could make it :( go GGHS! :D
Arcadia Clarinet Section 03-04

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:19 pm

I'm going to jump in and congratulate the hard working folks out in the GG school district. I'm getting excited that Harvey's "rant" earlier this year in another thread may have been in part the impetus to get people to get going and start standing up for their programs. To know that the GG folks are reviving something that was long considered dead is VERY encouraging...and it makes me even happier to see Alex take ownership of this AS A STUDENT and get up here and let us know!! :D

Anyway--thanks Alex...good luck to the students and directors and parents of the GG district--and Harvey--give your patented style of review...that uses...a lot ... of these...ellipses...sort of like someone else I know....like....ME!!!