AFOB Band Review Predictions

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

AFOB Band Review Predictions

Post by dmcoach » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:50 am

I know some love to speculate and predict placements for field finals.

Would anyone like to try their hand on predicting placements for the band review portion of the Arcadia Festival of Bands this season?

Here’s the line-up for Nov. 18th:

—————
Class C

Katella
Mountain View
Santiago (Garden Grove)
Patrick Henry
Magnolia
Burbank
Foothill
Downey
Eleanor Roosevelt JV
Diamond Ranch

—————
Class B

South El Monte
Schurr
Point Loma
El Rancho
Mayfair
Temple City
Montebello
Beckman
Bonita Vista
John F. Kennedy

—————
Class A

Temescal Canyon
Shadow Hills
Loara
Notre Dame
Arroyo
John Glenn
Mira Mesa
Garey
Olympian
Cypress

—————
Class AA

Kaiser
Eastlake
Arlington
Eleanor Roosevelt
Santiago (Corona)
Glendora
Chino
Mt. Carmel
Riverside King
Diamond Bar
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

DAC-1997
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: AFOB Band Review Predictions

Post by DAC-1997 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:37 am

Orange Vista HS for the win...in another 2 or 3 years. ;)

mflute88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mflute88 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 am

Are the lineups by previous year's result or a combination of factors? Weird seeing Diamond Ranch in Division C and Kennedy in Division B this year....

edit: Nevermind seems like its by previous years result. DRHS got an 89.15 with a 3 point penalty last year.. :shock: ouch

Not to Tempt the Gods but here I go...(All in fun of course :D )

Class C:
1. Diamond Ranch
2. Downey
3. Mountain View
4. ERHS JV
5. Katella

Class B:
1. Kennedy
2. Montebello
3. Beckman
4. Mayfair
5. South El Monte

Class A:
1. Mira Mesa
2. Olympian
3. Shadow Hills
4. Cypress
5. Garey

Class AA:
1. Riverside King
2. Mt Carmel
3. Glendora
4. Chino
5. Santiago (Corona)

Sweepstakes: Diamond Bar

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:52 am

mflute88 wrote:Are the lineups by previous year's result or a combination of factors? Weird seeing Diamond Ranch in Division C and Kennedy in Division B this year....

edit: Nevermind seems like its by previous years result. DRHS got an 89.15 with a 3 point penalty last year.. :shock: ouch

Not to Tempt the Gods but here I go...(All in fun of course :D )

Class C:
1. Diamond Ranch
2. Downey
3. Mountain View
4. ERHS JV
5. Katella

Class B:
1. Kennedy
2. Montebello
3. Beckman
4. Mayfair
5. South El Monte

Class A:
1. Mira Mesa
2. Olympian
3. Shadow Hills
4. Cypress
5. Garey

Class AA:
1. Riverside King
2. Mt Carmel
3. Glendora
4. Chino
5. Santiago (Corona)

Sweepstakes: Diamond Bar
I'm liking your AA division and I think you may be spot on with it. For Class A, my predictions would have this order:
1. Olympian
2. Mira Mesa
3. Garey
4. Cypress
5. Shadow Hills

I honestly haven't heard too much from the class C or B bands but I'm excited to hear them when they step off. I'm very certain they'll do their very best altogether. And I'd be proud of all of them, nonetheless.

On another note- where did El Dorado (Placentia) wander off too? Theirs is a roll off I'm always excited to hear at AFOB. It's almost as sentimental and traditional as Arcadia's, Mt. Carmel, and when they did street, Poway's. And not to mention Montebello's Fanfare and Glendora's bagpipe introduction.

I think I'd die if I never hear MOB playing that fanfare again... Almost like when I nearly died when they performed US Field Artillery some years back without the fanfare....
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:40 pm

MC edged Diamond Bar Saturday, will be crowded at the top next week.
drummer

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by peapod » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Thanks for the predictions so far - it's one of the things I really enjoy here. I was blown away by Mt. Carmel at their own event on Oct. 28 and even more by this last weekend's performance (Nov 11). It takes a lot these days to get ahead of Diamond Bar!

I expect some terrific performances and tight competition at Arcadia this year -- even more than last year, which saw a lot of movement between classes after the dust settled.

Two bands that I expect to move up in their class at Arcadia are Temescal Canyon and Mayfair. They really impressed me at Mt. Carmel & I thought Patrick Henry improved a great deal over last year. I'm often way off on placing (not sure what I'm missing), but I expect to see all 3 of these bands bring their A game next week at AFOB

I'm hoping to see my favorite smaller band, South El Monte, bring a performance that will bump them up again. Last year seemed like an anomaly compared to previous years.

As for AA, I'm looking at Mt. Carmel and Diamond Bar to slug it out fir sweeps, but Riverside King can never be counted out of the top spot.

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by peapod » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:08 am

BTW, I concur with Kuxica about El Dorado. Where'd they go? I always loved their performances on the street. Another I miss at Arcadia is Rancho Bernardo, one of the finest bands on the street. They seem to have gone the way of Poway, another (less recent) loss to band reviews. Anyone who can solve the ED mystery for me?

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 am

peapod wrote:BTW, I concur with Kuxica about El Dorado. Where'd they go? I always loved their performances on the street. Another I miss at Arcadia is Rancho Bernardo, one of the finest bands on the street. They seem to have gone the way of Poway, another (less recent) loss to band reviews. Anyone who can solve the ED mystery for me?
El Dorado only did Placentia Band Review as their only competitive showing on the street this season. Their DM let me know during her summer lesson that they wouldn’t be doing any more for this school year.

Kind of a bummer to see a program work on a march, and to only use it once in competition. Their director probably have their own reasons, and I wish them all the best.
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

mflute88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mflute88 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:09 am

Re: Mt Carmel

Their colorguard is pretty close with Diamond Bar's as well! Usually Diamond Bar colorguard has been walking away with every competition they enter. Interesting approach with only rifles being used! ( I think? ...just based off videos)