For those who have to work on Thanksgiving Weekend

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

For those who have to work on Thanksgiving Weekend

Post by JLGORMAN » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:35 pm

This weekend most HS Bands across the nation have the weekend off with no contests and few schools still playing football playoff games. One such school is Allen, TX, home of the 700 member Eagle Escadrille Band. This Friday Allen will travel 303 miles one way to take on the San Angelo Central Bobcats, who like Allen are 12-0 and this match is the UIL AAAAAA Region 1 Semi-Finals. Also making the trip will be the Eagle Escadrille who will march and perform at half time of the game. Just a few things involved in insuring they get every one there.
They will take 15 Chartered Busses. Thirteen for the Band and two for Drill Team and Flags. The Band has first call at 0830 with departure at 9:30 AM

Band members are responsible for taking a sack lunch. The Band Parents will provide snacks upon arrival at San Angelo and a full meal after the game.

Game time is 4PM on Friday. It is estimated that 4,000 Eagle fans will flock to the game. The Escadrille will perform at Half time using their precision drill opening to Grandioso and following with Macarena.

Return time to Allen is 12:30 AM. Making for a round trip of 610 miles

The Eagle Escadrille has not missed an Allen Game for 16 years. They are planning ahead for next weekend which may include not only a UIL playoff game but the Allen Christmas parade on Sunday the 4th.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

SuperAction80
Rookie
Rookie

Re: For those who have to work on Thanksgiving Weekend

Post by SuperAction80 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Wow sounds like they have things planned well. However the question I have is, and I don't know if you have the answer, but I will ask anyway.....When a band gets that large why don't they split the band into two, A varsity band 350 members and a JV band of 350 members. Seems to make more sense logistically and competitively. My guess they love the attention a 700 member unit brings them. I would imagine it is an impressive sight.

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: For those who have to work on Thanksgiving Weekend

Post by JLGORMAN » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:10 pm

That is an interesting question. The Plano ISD has two year senior High Schools, Plano, Plano East and Plano West with only 11th and 12th graders in the Band. These three HS are feed by 7 9th and 10th Grade Centers with their own Bands. It is done with Non Varsity Bands at those schools.

Allen is a different city. They decided years ago that there would only be one High School, thus you have a school of over 4600 students. The same applies to the Band. I am sure that by having a smaller, more competitive Band, they might win more contests, however, at this years UIL Area C Marching Contest, Allen defeated 14 competitive Bands in the Prelims and finished 8th out of 23 Bands, who had much more COMPETITIVE contexts to their shows. They finished 8th in the Finals and I think that Allen is happy with those results. At Allen, if you show up for Band and want to march and attend practices you are part of the Band. They march kids who are visually impaired, those who need to be pushed in a wheelchair and who have other issues. The tribute to Allen is that these kids show up and march at Contests, where many other Bands would say they could join after the competitive part of the field show is done. It should also be known that they have one of the largest Band Booster Groups in the nation. Think about how many of those kids who would be sitting on the sidelines at other schools will go on to be parents and Band supporter for their own children in the future.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq