BOA Grand Nationals - Finals Results

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:26 pm

There was a tie for 12th place in Semifinals. Under BOA rules, tie-breakers are not applied when that happens and both bands advance to Finals. Thus, there were 13 bands and not 12 in Finals.

97.45 Carmel H.S., IN *
97.45 Avon H.S., IN
96.55 William Mason H.S., OH
95.70 Tarpon Springs H.S., FL
95.30 Cedar Park H.S., TX
94.65 Leander H.S., TX
91.85 Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
91.50 Wando H.S., SC
91.30 Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
91.05 Castle H.S., IN
91.00 Homestead H.S., IN
90.05 Marian Catholic H.S., IL
89.45 Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN

Outstanding Music Performance - Avon H.S., IN
Outstanding Visual Performance - Avon H.S., IN
Outstanding General Effect - Carmel H.S., IN

Al Castronovo Esprit de Corps Winner - Vista Murrieta H.S., CA
2018 Tournament of Roses Parade Invitation - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

2016 Grand National Champion: Carmel H.S., IN (* tie broken by G.E. score)

Luis
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: BOA Grand Nationals - Finals Results

Post by Luis » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:12 pm

Hostrauser wrote: Al Castronovo Esprit de Corps Winner - Vista Murrieta H.S., CA
Great effort by Vista Murrieta. What does this award mean/represent?
Hostrauser wrote: BOA Grand Nationals - Finals Results
97.45 Carmel H.S., IN *
97.45 Avon H.S., IN
96.55 William Mason H.S., OH
91.30 Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
90.05 Marian Catholic H.S., IL
I have seen these groups in person at Bandfest and they put on some really amazing shows!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Luis wrote:
Hostrauser wrote: Al Castronovo Esprit de Corps Winner - Vista Murrieta H.S., CA
Al Castronovo was the band director at Chesterton High School (IN), the 1981 Grand National Champions. He sat on the BOA advisory board and was a well-loved teacher by his colleagues and students, alike.

The Esprit de Corps Award is the sportsmanship award for Grand Nationals. From the BOA Handbook: "The Bands of America staff will evaluate groups throughout the complete event to select the one group most exhibiting pride, spirit, enthusiasm, friendliness, and unity of purpose for the activity of marching bands in this country."

The BOA staff, Grand National event staff and volunteers are asked to nominate a band to receive the award. Then, the BOA executive staff reviews nominees and makes final selection.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
Luis wrote:
Al Castronovo was the band director at Chesterton High School (IN), the 1981 Grand National Champions. He sat on the BOA advisory board and was a well-loved teacher by his colleagues and students, alike.

The Esprit de Corps Award is the sportsmanship award for Grand Nationals. From the BOA Handbook: "The Bands of America staff will evaluate groups throughout the complete event to select the one group most exhibiting pride, spirit, enthusiasm, friendliness, and unity of purpose for the activity of marching bands in this country."

The BOA staff, Grand National event staff and volunteers are asked to nominate a band to receive the award. Then, the BOA executive staff reviews nominees and makes final selection.
This award is arguably more coveted than the eagle itself. Congratulations to Vista Murrieta. Not the first time they have won this award.

Luis
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Luis » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:44 pm

That's an incredible recognition. Congratulations Vista Murrietta!

Wolfgang
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Wolfgang » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:35 am

I was there for the weekend. The fact that all 3 CA bands made semifinals in what was no doubt the deepest field this event has ever had speaks to the quality of those programs.

Vista Murrieta just missed making finals by a few tenths. I think that was the best band California has sent to BOA, and maybe one of the best ever.

Ayala is on the same tier. Their semis run was plagued by the tv monitors not working much of the show, but as you all know they can hang with anyone.

Both these bands are finalist caliber bands, its just that this year there were 20 other bands at that level and higher.

Clovis West was wonderful also. I loved how their piano player brightened up the show. They play incredibly well.

I hope more pacific bands come in future years. Believe me, the rest of the country does notice how good these groups truly are.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:31 am

Wolfgang wrote:Vista Murrieta just missed making finals by a few tenths. I think that was the best band California has sent to BOA, and maybe one of the best ever.
Indeed, Vista Murrieta was 14th in Semifinals. They were the first band out of Finals.

And I agree: even with no Blue Springs, no Broken Arrow, and a small Texas contingent, this was the deepest Grand Nationals ever. Several multiple-time prior GN Finalists were on the outside looking in come Saturday night.