SCSBOA 6A Field Championship Predictions?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

HomageA

SCSBOA 6A Field Championship Predictions?

Post by HomageA » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:41 pm

Lots of strong competitors in 6A this year (as there are every year). Who do y'all think will take home the gold?

Manny

Re: SCSBOA 6A Field Championship Predictions?

Post by Manny » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 am

Eitwanda HS! :D, But I'm bias, my son plays Trumpet for the Marching Eagle Regiment. There is some very good completion this year. It will be close.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Mt. Carmel is looking very strong once again. They're my pick.

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:38 am

Etiwanda looked good tonight! Loved the energy, they looked like they were on a mission, mission accomplished, Congrats! (Still need to watch other 6A bands to make predictions, waiting to see Chino)
I enjoyed all the performances at the Los Altos Tournament, I only wished the scores reflected the students' efforts. November quality performances with early October scores, oh well. Savanna and Rowland had a great run too (not far at all). Congrats to all the bands

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:02 am

Wow, what a night at JW North tournament. American Fork hasn't missed a beat with their new director, the tradition of excellence shall continue. Great job guys, very clean.. you can tell every student understands their role. I do have to say it was somewhat held back (expand those ranges). Good luck this Saturday at Long Beach.

Chino HS had a great run, it was the total package (strong sound/great guard/balanced percussion). I felt Chino should of taken high music, it was on point. My only complaint, not the first time I say this, is the watering down of parts/features. By now many people are familiar with these compositions and are waiting to hear those high level moments, still clean. I do have a question about that very high prop/stage with performers on it, prop high limit? Safety? legal? (Don't get me wrong, it looks great)

I remember a few year back Thousand Oaks had a stage/prop (clouds) where they had to remove the top portion to use it in finals in a BOA regional. Maybe SCSBOA has different regulations.

Etiwanda was impressive as well. They should of taken GE in my opinion. Well, I guess if you know where to look. Lots of stuff going on the field. Work to balance the sound to the press box, too much adjustment during the performance (voice over was overworked), felt they were much closer to Chino and AF then the scores suggested. Would like to hear front soloist expand on expression and creativity, it's missing the performance aspect of the notes on the page.

Savanna was not as strong as prior performances (saw you at Los Altos and boa finals). Don't know what happened tonight, plumes where scattered all over the field. One guard kid had a asthma attack, another band kid was pulled off flat on his back along with the pit equipment, and a Mellophone was dropped as equipment was pulled away. Savanna needs to focus on endurance and intensity from start to finish, great moments for them. Voice overs too low. The biggest area of concern was the intonation during the four brass members moment. Savanna you have the tools to win, just be more consistent. (Sell it!)

Chino is my favorite for champs at the moment.
RCC was awesome very musical and professional, heard audience singing along with the vocal soloist, bravo.

HomageA

Post by HomageA » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Arcadia HS has a strong show this year. Good winds and even better percussion. If they execute a show w/ 100% focus they have a really good chance of grabbing the gold.

bandfan10

Post by bandfan10 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:36 pm

Gonna be a great night. Lots of great bands. Heres my picks:
Chino
Arcadia
Mt. Carmel
Those will be the medal winners. Pick your order.

Dont blink on these bands because they are also capable of taking a medal:
Rancho Bernardo
Etiwanda
Rancho Bueno Vista
Los Osos

My favorite is Chino!

Manny

Post by Manny » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:58 am

What a great Championship. All bands played great and the competition was tough. Etiwanda was the underdog of the group but we were able to pull off a Bronze Medal. We are so proud of them. Final results.
1. Mt.Carmel 91.45; Gold
2. Chino HS 91.35: Silver
3. Etiwanda HS 88.95: Bronze (Also High Percussion Award)
Last edited by Manny on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

corkie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by corkie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:15 am

Here's the scores from 6A Championships

1) Mt Carmel 91.45- High Auxiliary
2) Chino 91.35- High Vis Effect, High Vis Performance
3) Etiwanda 88.95
4) Arcadia 88.70- High Music, High Music Effect
5) Savanna 87.90
6) Los Osos 86.85
7) Rancho Buena Vista 86.80
8) Rancho Bernardo 85.30
9) Riverside King 81.75
10) Rowland 81.60
11) El Dorado 80.00
12) Mira Mesa 77.80

HomageA

Post by HomageA » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:07 pm

What happened with Arcadia? Everyone I heard from said that they had an amazing run... Not trying to belittle the accomplishments of the other bands, but I feel like Arcadia should've scored higher than they did, considering that they got High Music Performance and High Music Effect even when going on 4th from last. Did they have some sort of visual disaster? Or was it just a conflict of modern vs. tradition style?

Jblopez16
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Jblopez16 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:13 pm

HomageA wrote:What happened with Arcadia? Everyone I heard from said that they had an amazing run... Not trying to belittle the accomplishments of the other bands, but I feel like Arcadia should've scored higher than they did, considering that they got High Music Performance and High Music Effect even when going on 4th from last. Did they have some sort of visual disaster? Or was it just a conflict of modern vs. tradition style?
I think it should have been

1. Chino
2. Arcadia
3. Mt .Carmel

Arcadia had a solid run. Best musical sound in my opinion.
Joel Lopez M.M.
Instrumental Music Director,
Charter Oak High School
Covina, CA

Manny

Post by Manny » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:16 pm

I thought Arcadia's performance was amazing. Also, I thought Chino had an amazing show. I also think Los Osos should have placed higher.
Last edited by Manny on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

bandfan88
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bandfan88 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Wow, these results were a massive departure from my own rankings, which had Chino on top, Arcadia 2nd, Etiwanda 3rd, and Mt. Carmel 4th.

Mt. Carmel and Etiwanda both had some tuning issues and significant phasing in some of their more exposed musical passages and runs. Chino and Arcadia definitely played with greater precision, and Chino gets the edge overall thanks to a strong, cohesive musical and visual package.

Overall though, I felt SCSBOA bands as a whole have taken huge strides in both show design and execution since the last field contest I attended 3 years ago, which is very exciting to see!

bandfan10

Post by bandfan10 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:40 pm

Wow, I was somewhat surprized at the results! I think Chino should have got gold! Arcadia Silver and a toss up for bronze between Etiwanda and. Mt. Carmel. Oh well, Im not a judge, it was a great night overall! See you all next year!

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:17 pm

I publicly want to say sorry for anyone who was offended and I have not represented my school well. All these schools have done really well especially imo Chino. I hope I can be forgiven and also congrats to the Mount