Orange Cove and Fowler

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director, Trumpet Man 05

Post Reply
JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major
Posts: 1732
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:13 pm
Location: Oroville, CA (the boonies)

Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by JCYS » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:14 am

I do not have anywhere near complete results or scores, but Paradise HS was the sweepstakes winner of the Orange Cove Band Review and Weaver MS won Sweeps at the Fowler JR HS Band Review.

User avatar
Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 7953
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:09 am

JCYS wrote:I do not have anywhere near complete results or scores, but Paradise HS was the sweepstakes winner of the Orange Cove Band Review and Weaver MS won Sweeps at the Fowler JR HS Band Review.
Paradise HS from Paradise? At Orange Cove? That's a heck of long drive.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major
Posts: 1732
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:13 pm
Location: Oroville, CA (the boonies)

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by JCYS » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:23 am

Hostrauser wrote:
JCYS wrote:I do not have anywhere near complete results or scores, but Paradise HS was the sweepstakes winner of the Orange Cove Band Review and Weaver MS won Sweeps at the Fowler JR HS Band Review.
Paradise HS from Paradise? At Orange Cove? That's a heck of long drive.

Apparently they took a Charter down the night before and slept on the cafeteria floor....done that a couple times in my career..

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:11 pm

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by Cardinal Regime » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:29 pm

Probably a situation of someone knew someone or used to live somewhere. Were both of these NCBA events???

User avatar
Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 7953
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Most competitions down that way (Visalia, Orange Cove, Fowler, etc.) tend to be independent shows with judges provided by the PCJA. Or at least that's how it used to be.

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:11 pm

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by Cardinal Regime » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Since Jeff was indicating that he didn't have the complete scores yet...I was thinking that perhaps NCBA picked these two events up.

The Fowler Band Review is older than dirt......I marched in it way back in the day. It's for Jr. High's only.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major
Posts: 1732
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:13 pm
Location: Oroville, CA (the boonies)

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by JCYS » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Cardinal Regime wrote:Since Jeff was indicating that he didn't have the complete scores yet...I was thinking that perhaps NCBA picked these two events up.

The Fowler Band Review is older than dirt......I marched in it way back in the day. It's for Jr. High's only.
they are both indie events to my knowledge

Joe Cargill
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by Joe Cargill » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:46 am

Both Fowler and Orange Cove are independent band reviews, and Fowler is actually Junior High only now.

Orange Cove is for Bands with 80 musicians or less.

User avatar
savvybassoon
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:14 am
Contact:

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by savvybassoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Cardinal Regime wrote:Probably a situation of someone knew someone or used to live somewhere. Were both of these NCBA events???
Actually, no. I’m not sure how Paradise found out about our review, but they contacted me the end of last school year to start setting everything up. I guess they just wanted to go somewhere different, and OC caters to bands that size.

They did charter down Friday and camp out in our gym. Took them about 6 hours to arrive.

OCBR is an independent review. The scores have now been added to the scores page.

User avatar
savvybassoon
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:14 am
Contact:

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by savvybassoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Hostrauser wrote:Most competitions down that way (Visalia, Orange Cove, Fowler, etc.) tend to be independent shows with judges provided by the PCJA. Or at least that's how it used to be.
I find my own judges for OCBR. I work to find judges that are experienced, rather than “Oh, the mayor’s wife used to play flute in junior high. Let’s have her judge.” Been to a couple of those reviews...

Visalia is independent, not sure how they pull judges. Sierra Cup went indie this year. Selma parade is independent and field is judged by CSBC this year.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major
Posts: 1732
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:13 pm
Location: Oroville, CA (the boonies)

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by JCYS » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:33 pm

savvybassoon wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:Most competitions down that way (Visalia, Orange Cove, Fowler, etc.) tend to be independent shows with judges provided by the PCJA. Or at least that's how it used to be.
I find my own judges for OCBR. I work to find judges that are experienced, rather than “Oh, the mayor’s wife used to play flute in junior high. Let’s have her judge.” Been to a couple of those reviews...

Visalia is independent, not sure how they pull judges. Sierra Cup went indie this year. Selma parade is independent and field is judged by CSBC this year.
I know that the NCBA has stopped judging the 2 reviews down in that region that they adjudicated the past couple years. I heard third-hand that it was an "agreement to disagree" in one case.

Want to say that it is a great idea to have a band review for small schools/small bands. Many years ago a guy tried to start one of those in the Sacramento foothills region but it never happened. Also a nice idea that Fowler has for a Jr HS band review. Used to be one of those in So Cal in Seal Beach, long since gone I believe.

Before 1991 all reviews in Nor Cal were independent events, but that means you never know what you are going to get. One time a local review had scores based on 120 points instead of 100, that was odd. Another time I brought my band up from So Cal at another review had a Marine drill Sgt. doing inspection (which didn't exist in So Cal), we ended up with like 28 inspection errors.

As a retired director, I no longer worry about it... :yeah:

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:11 pm

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by Cardinal Regime » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:26 am

I know that the NCBA has stopped judging the 2 reviews down in that region that they adjudicated the past couple years. I heard third-hand that it was an "agreement to disagree" in one case.
A new band review has been started this year by Central High School out of Fresno. It is called the San Joaquin Valley Tournament of Bands and it will take place this Saturday, Oct. 29th, and it will be judged by NCBA.

Some of the NCBA "regulars" competing will be Pitman, Merced, El Capitan, Buhach Colony and Golden Valley.

User avatar
Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:41 am
Location: Upland, CA
Contact:

Re: Orange Cove and Fowler

Post by Bandmaster » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Cardinal Regime wrote:A new band review has been started this year by Central High School out of Fresno. It is called the San Joaquin Valley Tournament of Bands and it will take place this Saturday, Oct. 29th, and it will be judged by NCBA.

Some of the NCBA "regulars" competing will be Pitman, Merced, El Capitan, Buhach Colony and Golden Valley.
Other than a mention on events page on the NCBA website you can't find any info for it. No mention at all on the Central High Band website. With no publicity how can they build a long lasting event?
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Post Reply