World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:14 am 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:13 pm
Posts: 1727
Location: Oroville, CA (the boonies)
I do not have anywhere near complete results or scores, but Paradise HS was the sweepstakes winner of the Orange Cove Band Review and Weaver MS won Sweeps at the Fowler JR HS Band Review.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:09 am 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
JCYS wrote:
I do not have anywhere near complete results or scores, but Paradise HS was the sweepstakes winner of the Orange Cove Band Review and Weaver MS won Sweeps at the Fowler JR HS Band Review.

Paradise HS from Paradise? At Orange Cove? That's a heck of long drive.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:23 am 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:13 pm
Posts: 1727
Location: Oroville, CA (the boonies)
Hostrauser wrote:
JCYS wrote:
I do not have anywhere near complete results or scores, but Paradise HS was the sweepstakes winner of the Orange Cove Band Review and Weaver MS won Sweeps at the Fowler JR HS Band Review.

Paradise HS from Paradise? At Orange Cove? That's a heck of long drive.



Apparently they took a Charter down the night before and slept on the cafeteria floor....done that a couple times in my career..


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:29 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:11 pm
Posts: 455
Probably a situation of someone knew someone or used to live somewhere. Were both of these NCBA events???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:16 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
Most competitions down that way (Visalia, Orange Cove, Fowler, etc.) tend to be independent shows with judges provided by the PCJA. Or at least that's how it used to be.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:37 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:11 pm
Posts: 455
Since Jeff was indicating that he didn't have the complete scores yet...I was thinking that perhaps NCBA picked these two events up.

The Fowler Band Review is older than dirt......I marched in it way back in the day. It's for Jr. High's only.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:29 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:13 pm
Posts: 1727
Location: Oroville, CA (the boonies)
Cardinal Regime wrote:
Since Jeff was indicating that he didn't have the complete scores yet...I was thinking that perhaps NCBA picked these two events up.

The Fowler Band Review is older than dirt......I marched in it way back in the day. It's for Jr. High's only.


they are both indie events to my knowledge


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Posts: 7
Both Fowler and Orange Cove are independent band reviews, and Fowler is actually Junior High only now.

Orange Cove is for Bands with 80 musicians or less.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:05 am 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 8:14 am
Posts: 40
Cardinal Regime wrote:
Probably a situation of someone knew someone or used to live somewhere. Were both of these NCBA events???


Actually, no. I’m not sure how Paradise found out about our review, but they contacted me the end of last school year to start setting everything up. I guess they just wanted to go somewhere different, and OC caters to bands that size.

They did charter down Friday and camp out in our gym. Took them about 6 hours to arrive.

OCBR is an independent review. The scores have now been added to the scores page.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:08 am 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 8:14 am
Posts: 40
Hostrauser wrote:
Most competitions down that way (Visalia, Orange Cove, Fowler, etc.) tend to be independent shows with judges provided by the PCJA. Or at least that's how it used to be.


I find my own judges for OCBR. I work to find judges that are experienced, rather than “Oh, the mayor’s wife used to play flute in junior high. Let’s have her judge.” Been to a couple of those reviews...

Visalia is independent, not sure how they pull judges. Sierra Cup went indie this year. Selma parade is independent and field is judged by CSBC this year.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:33 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:13 pm
Posts: 1727
Location: Oroville, CA (the boonies)
savvybassoon wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
Most competitions down that way (Visalia, Orange Cove, Fowler, etc.) tend to be independent shows with judges provided by the PCJA. Or at least that's how it used to be.


I find my own judges for OCBR. I work to find judges that are experienced, rather than “Oh, the mayor’s wife used to play flute in junior high. Let’s have her judge.” Been to a couple of those reviews...

Visalia is independent, not sure how they pull judges. Sierra Cup went indie this year. Selma parade is independent and field is judged by CSBC this year.


I know that the NCBA has stopped judging the 2 reviews down in that region that they adjudicated the past couple years. I heard third-hand that it was an "agreement to disagree" in one case.

Want to say that it is a great idea to have a band review for small schools/small bands. Many years ago a guy tried to start one of those in the Sacramento foothills region but it never happened. Also a nice idea that Fowler has for a Jr HS band review. Used to be one of those in So Cal in Seal Beach, long since gone I believe.

Before 1991 all reviews in Nor Cal were independent events, but that means you never know what you are going to get. One time a local review had scores based on 120 points instead of 100, that was odd. Another time I brought my band up from So Cal at another review had a Marine drill Sgt. doing inspection (which didn't exist in So Cal), we ended up with like 28 inspection errors.

As a retired director, I no longer worry about it... :yeah:


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:26 am 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:11 pm
Posts: 455
Quote:
I know that the NCBA has stopped judging the 2 reviews down in that region that they adjudicated the past couple years. I heard third-hand that it was an "agreement to disagree" in one case.


A new band review has been started this year by Central High School out of Fresno. It is called the San Joaquin Valley Tournament of Bands and it will take place this Saturday, Oct. 29th, and it will be judged by NCBA.

Some of the NCBA "regulars" competing will be Pitman, Merced, El Capitan, Buhach Colony and Golden Valley.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Orange Cove and Fowler
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:16 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:41 pm
Posts: 1645
Location: Upland, CA
Cardinal Regime wrote:
A new band review has been started this year by Central High School out of Fresno. It is called the San Joaquin Valley Tournament of Bands and it will take place this Saturday, Oct. 29th, and it will be judged by NCBA.

Some of the NCBA "regulars" competing will be Pitman, Merced, El Capitan, Buhach Colony and Golden Valley.


Other than a mention on events page on the NCBA website you can't find any info for it. No mention at all on the Central High Band website. With no publicity how can they build a long lasting event?

_________________
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics