Repeating Marches

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

NAdrian7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Repeating Marches

Post by NAdrian7 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:42 am

I've noticed lately that a lot of groups seem to be repeating marches after the minimum amount of time required for SCSBOA groups, and some even seem to have a rotation that they simply deviate from occasionally, adding one new march into the mix on the third or fourth year. I'd like to make clear how different it is to repeat a march after 3 or 4 years than say 10 or 20 years, for example, Arcadia High School played "Bullets and Bayonets" in 2015, and the last time they played it (to my knowledge) was 1993, which to me is totally acceptable considering that the approved list is a little narrow considering marches of higher caliber and over 20 years had passed. I personally don't think that a march should be repeated within 10 years of its previous performance, but I do understand that is a matter of opinion. What do you guys think?

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Repeating Marches

Post by wjs05 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:05 am

I'm in complete agreement. I seem to recall Rancho Bernardo only repeating two marches:

Army of the Nile: 1991, 2002

Bullets and Bayonets: 1995, 2013

That being said, yeah...I get it, the students have all graduated but it's not as exciting.

NAdrian7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by NAdrian7 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:18 am

wjs05 wrote:I'm in complete agreement. I seem to recall Rancho Bernardo only repeating two marches:

That being said, yeah...I get it, the students have all graduated but it's not as exciting.

I was not aware that Rancho Bernardo repeated Army of the Nile, I thought they played the Mad Major in '91, but I could very well have been mistaken.
I think it's fair to consider that the Bullets and Bayonets years were under different directors.

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:41 pm

NAdrian7 wrote:
wjs05 wrote:I'm in complete agreement. I seem to recall Rancho Bernardo only repeating two marches:

I was not aware that Rancho Bernardo repeated Army of the Nile, I thought they played the Mad Major in '91, but I could very well have been mistaken.
I think it's fair to consider that the Bullets and Bayonets years were under different directors.
The Mad Major was played in 1990.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:54 am

I think repeating marches is more about the director than the students. A director will (should) pick a march that fits his current group. If it happens to be a march his school played 4 years ago and the director wants to repeat it, I see no problem with that. As a director, I usually enjoyed teaching a new march, for my own learning.