5A: Your favorite band..Who will make SCSBOA championships

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

5A: Your favorite band..Who will make SCSBOA championships

Post by BlueStarMom » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:55 pm

What 5A band have you seen perform their show this season? Why do you like their show? Who will make SCSBOA championships?
BlueStarMom
:)

fritoflaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by fritoflaker » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:32 pm

I must start by saying "Thank You" to BlueStarMom. She is constantly on here giving her support and showing gratitude for various groups. I really think thats great of you...keep up the good work!

As far as your post...our band director posted a standing for 5A groups in SoCal last week...and as I recall, the Top Three were:

1) Granite Hills
2) John W. North
3) Murrieta Valley

This was all before the Ramona competition however, so I'm not sure how the results have changed. We'll also see what happens tomorrow at Lester Oaks. Regardless, it looks almost positive that John North and Murrieta will be at Champs...I'm not familiar with Granite Hills, so I can't say...

*Good luck to John W. North and all groups who are participating! Look forward to seeing you all there!!*
Marissa
Murrieta Valley Crimson Cadets
Percussion Captain

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:19 pm

fritoflaker wrote:
As far as your post...our band director posted a standing for 5A groups in SoCal last week...and as I recall, the Top Three were:

1) Granite Hills
2) John W. North
3) Murrieta Valley
Do you mean Granada Hills?

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:10 pm

gangemi wrote:
fritoflaker wrote:

1) Granite Hills
2) John W. North
3) Murrieta Valley
Do you mean Granada Hills?
I dont want to awnser for fritoflaker, but I heard Granite Hills was in top three like a week ago. I dont know about Granada Hills. By the way, I dont know if its just on my comp. but your Avatar icon doesnt show up.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

saugusbandgeek
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by saugusbandgeek » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:30 am

I think he's talking about Granada because I'm pretty sure Granite Hills is a 3A band that isn't doing very well this year.
Saugus High School Marching Band
2000-2004

fritoflaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by fritoflaker » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:17 am

Hmm. I could be mistaken....its been known to happen. Granite Hills is a 3A band...so I'm not sure what happened there. My director had that written on the boardand I just transferred it here. Sorry for the mix up. :?
Marissa
Murrieta Valley Crimson Cadets
Percussion Captain

kkeonih667
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by kkeonih667 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:03 am

here are the standings for 5A through the nov. 1 tournys. Scores from nov. 1 obtained from this website...(top 10 qualify) These are the two highest scores combined....

1. 170.60 Granada Hills
2. 167.75 Murrieta Valley
3. 166.60 John North
4. 164.15 Mira Mesa
5. 163.10 Ramona
6. 160.65 Helix
7. 159.25 Los Altos
8. 159.20 Esperanza
9. 156.65 West
10. 154.70 Temple City

11. 153.60 Rowland
12. 153.35 Savanna
13. 152.75 La Canada
14. 143.75 Liberty
15. 77.15 Temecula Valley

These are the unoffical scores through November 1. So with one qulified tourny left (unless bands are going out on the 4th and 5th), these are the standings. My personal feelings are, before anyone starts talking about a "shootout" between Granada, Murrieta, and North, don't forget about Mira Mesa and Ramona. I saw Mira Mesa on the 25th and they have a great show, they just didnt click that night. They could very easily be sitting in the top 2 so dont let the scores decieve you. They'll be on by championships if not by next week. Also, Ramona, I believe they were in this same position last year and ended up finishing 3rd at championships. So just before anyone counts those two bands out, be careful you may be eating your words. I also wouldnt count Savanna out from qualifying. THey did finish 2nd in championships last year so dont count them out just yet. And also Temecula Valley. Theyve only been to one tourny so far and can only improve from their performance at mt carmel. I wouldnt doubt that they qualify when all is said and done.
Hey, Im also not trying to take anything away from the top three. I havent seen any of their shows, but i know all three have pretty good programs. I think its pretty cool that Murrieta is sitting where they are considering they just jumped from 4A last year.
All in all i think the top 5 come the end of championships will not look how it does right now. Crazier things have happened in this event, but theres nothing you can do but go out there and do the best you can. Judging is always changing, and i just hope the judges this year are not one sided to a particular section of southern california. But hey we'll see at championships! GOOD LUCK!

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

SCSBOA Championships

Post by BlueStarMom » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:58 pm

Last time I checked the top 3 scoring bands were still Granada Hills Murrieta Valley and John W North BSR.

Any other updates?
BlueStarMom

catlove
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by catlove » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:19 pm

My personal feelings are, before anyone starts talking about a "shootout" between Granada, Murrieta, and North, don't forget about Mira Mesa and Ramona.
i dont see how anyone could think that its all between three schools. you are right anything can happen. plus look at the scores they are all very close.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Championships

Post by BlueStarMom » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:34 pm

You are so right, I could not agree more. Anything can and will happen at a competition.

(At Rubidoux the BSR from JWN was midway thru their FST and the entire stadium went dark). What a wild night that was, the 1st FST this year.

:D :D :D :D
BlueStarMom

shsrebel

Post by shsrebel » Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:17 pm

Have you seen the savanna show it really good
Last edited by shsrebel on Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Re Savanna show

Post by BlueStarMom » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:22 pm

From previous years of seeing Savanna they generally have a great show. I have not had an opportunity to see their current show this year. Since the BSR is not performing at Savanna FST, we will have to wait until SCSBOA at Long Beach. What is your theme this year?

:D :D :D
BlueStarMom

kiltedfreak
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kiltedfreak » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:09 pm

i can't believe we made championships.

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletMusic » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:07 pm

Well that makes TWO "Highlander" bands in 5a champs :)

Here at Helix we are also the Highlanders... and we have a bagpipe group but only our drum major and bagpipes wear kilts.

shsrebel

Post by shsrebel » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:52 pm

The savanna show is called Ritmo Latino