Looking for Capuchino Band History

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

capcolorguard

Looking for Capuchino Band History

Post by capcolorguard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:27 pm

Greetings everyone!
My name is Mark. I was the former colorguard instructor many years ago at Archbishop Riordan High School in San Francisco. The former director at Riordan (Scott Souza) and I will be taking over at Capuchino High School in San Bruno, CA. While going through what was left to us in our storage room we noticed a lot of history missing. Barely any uniforms, busbys, awards, pictures, almost nothing was left expect for two old uniforms. We are looking for anyone with any possible leads to pictures, uniforms, anything from the old, great days of Capuchino!

Any help is appreciated! Thank you all for your time!
- Mark
capuchino hs colorguard instructor
former colorguard instructor at archbishop riordan

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Looking for Capuchino Band History

Post by Cardinal Regime » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Two of the great Capuchino directors of the past were Ralph Bredenberg and Greg Christiansen. Mr. Bredenberg passed in 2009 (I think) and had a wonderful career as a music instructor. Greg Christiansen, probably more well known for his tenure as the band director at Merced and Golden Valley High Schools, once led the Cap band.

In fact, I believe it was while Mr. C was at Capuchino, that he was the pioneer of the NorCal guard style of transitioning the auxiliary unit from the front of the band to the back of the band for second "showing" for the judges.

If you need info on the Capuchino band program, Greg Christiansen would probably be a good place to start.

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Looking for Capuchino Band History

Post by clarinetking » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:58 am

Another good source is William McCrary. Bill is currently on the music staff of UT San Antonio, Texas. He was at Cap I believe sometime in the late 80's.

The transition of auxiliaries from front to back happened long before Greg got to cap. I remember talking to Greg at a review and discussing a lot of band related things but lots of bands were already doing that by then. Primarily Lincoln (Stockton) and Fairfield High Schools led the breakthrough of that trend.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.