World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:33 am 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:10 pm
Posts: 690
If you could choose the top ten California high school marching bands of the 1990's (field & street AND field-only), who would they be? Here would be my choices--the absolutely most powerful, influential bands (in random order):

Mt. Carmel H.S. (stood out early to mid 90's, and REALLY stood out on the street)
Etiwanda H.S. (dominated 1994 and beyond)
Fred C. Beyer H.S. (Fiesta Bowl champs, BOA Regional champs, Sudler Shield winner--the best years being the early 1990's)
Diamond Bar H.S. (consistently near the top of the charts at each show, particularly BOA championships)
Thousand Oaks H.S. (arguably one of the best bands of all time in 1998, which would by itself put them on this list)
Rancho Bernardo H.S. (often overshadowed by Poway and Mt. Carmel, but a power in their own right)
Clovis West H.S. (spellbinding and amazing--on par with Etiwanda as one of the greatest in the early to mid 1990's)
Poway H.S. (peaked in early 90's, and then kind of fell off the map 1994 and beyond)
Mission Viejo H.S. (I don't care what ANYONE says; this band was a game changer for southern California with Hannan, Jackson, and Wunderlich at the helm--all years of the 1990's, particularly 1994 and beyond)
Valley View H.S. (consistently great throughout the early to mid-1990's and had one of the greatest shows of all time in 1999)

Can someone please chime in for the 1980's? I'm thinking of doing a list for the 2000's, too, though that might be a bit more controversial. :wink:


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:18 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:10 pm
Posts: 690
wjs05 wrote:

"I want to play!! My 12 FAVORITE shows of the 90's:

Valley View 99: Stormworks: a masterpiece of sight and sound. HS SCV.
Etiwanda 95: Music of Pat Metheny: Forward thinking, sleek, chic, you name it.
Poway 93: The Caged Bird: Almost everyone I knew then HATED this show. I feel it's the CA equivalent to Star 93.
Mission Viejo 98: "Serenade": won WBA with this. Never seen anything like this up till this point.
Clovis West 94: The Age of Anxiety: Jaw dropping on all levels. A little too synth-y.
Fred C. Beyer 94: The music of David Holsinger: On the field the theme was some kind of race, including numbers on the back of the color guard.

Ill be back later to add the other 6."

All really, really great shows. Love Beyer '94. That was David Holsinger's Ballet Sacra and Gymway's Revenge. Before that I had never seen a high school marching band march so fast and play so confidently before. (That and their northern California drumline, with the synth-infused sounds from the pit were different from what most of what southern California was doing at the time.)

Other 1990's favorites of mine:
1994 Thousand Oaks (Karn Evil 9? It was a Pee-wee Herman, Funhouse type of show. REALLY outstanding music.)
1997 Victor Valley (the one that beat Mission Viejo at WSMBC Championships--Ralph Ewell's band--with Robert W. Smith's The Divine Comedy)
1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999 Mission Viejo (almost every year!)
1994 Live Oak (In the Spring When Kings Go Off to War)
1998 Fountain Valley (Copland's 3rd)
1995 Rancho Bernardo (Grovers Corners)
1994 West Bakersfield (yes, West Bakersfield...with that Christmas time drum-corps-esque show)

Alan


Last edited by airons0678 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:42 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:51 am
Posts: 554
Location: Tustin
I'll just throw some random schools from the 90's:

Street
--------------------
Castle Park HS - Those shields!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLk_8vWMyKA
Montebello HS - Listen to that fanfare! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ_xZeE6jJ0
Thousand Oaks HS - Mindy Cabral spinning mace (the band is amazing as well) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mLruihlR4
Edgewood MS -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZO1y64nUvE
If this sounds and looks familiar, it's because... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9iTdQoJh0
Hidden Valley MS - Check out the white flags https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmPEt6suHW8

Field
--------------------
Rowland HS - They had two shows that went HUGE with the field props. I can't find the videos for them, but I've seen them, and WOW! The shows were "Night on Bald Mountain", where a mountain built up by the end, and "Back to the Future" with a clock tower and buildings in the background, and a huge DeLorean and Train going around on the field.

_________________
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:58 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:52 pm
Posts: 199
airons0678 wrote:
wjs05 wrote:

"I want to play!! My 12 FAVORITE shows of the 90's:

Valley View 99: Stormworks: a masterpiece of sight and sound. HS SCV.
Etiwanda 95: Music of Pat Metheny: Forward thinking, sleek, chic, you name it.
Poway 93: The Caged Bird: Almost everyone I knew then HATED this show. I feel it's the CA equivalent to Star 93.
Mission Viejo 98: "Serenade": won WBA with this. Never seen anything like this up till this point.
Clovis West 94: The Age of Anxiety: Jaw dropping on all levels. A little too synth-y.
Fred C. Beyer 94: The music of David Holsinger: On the field the theme was some kind of race, including numbers on the back of the color guard.

Ill be back later to add the other 6."

All really, really great shows. Love Beyer '94. That was David Holsinger's Ballet Sacra and Gymway's Revenge. Before that I had never seen a high school marching band march so fast and play so confidently before. (That and their northern California drumline, with the synth-infused sounds from the pit were different from what most of what southern California was doing at the time.)

Other 1990's favorites of mine:
1994 Thousand Oaks (Karn Evil 9? It was a Pee-wee Herman, Funhouse type of show. REALLY outstanding music.)
1997 Victor Valley (the one that beat Mission Viejo at WSMBC Championships--Ralph Ewell's band--with Robert W. Smith's The Divine Comedy)
1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999 Mission Viejo (almost every year!)
1994 Live Oak (In the Spring When Kings Go Off to War)
1998 Fountain Valley (Copland's 3rd)
1995 Rancho Bernardo (Grovers Corners)
1994 West Bakersfield (yes, West Bakersfield...with that Christmas time drum-corps-esque show)

Alan


Alright, my other six are:

Mission Viejo 1999: Impressions of the Mainland: The brass and percussion are some of the best I have ever heard. This show sounded UNREAL live.

Thousand Oaks 1998: Cleopatra: The Egyptian Queen: Seriously, probably the most lavish production I have ever seen.

Poway 1992: Lord of the Rings: this show is special to me. It was my first exposure to anything Tolkien-related; gave me my current love for all things LOTR. The music, by Johan De Meij, sounded incredible, majestic and magical. This show also scored a 97.20 at T of C that year: rightly so!!

Etiwanda 1996: Keys to the Imagination: First time I ever saw them live. Amazing. The clarinet solo was dazzling.

James Logan 1998: Powerhouse: I know most people will point to 99 as the standout Logan year for the decade, but for my money, 98 was playful, powerful and Logan at its' purest.

Vista 1995: The Sword and the Crown: What a surprise from this band. Was fortunate to see them at Arcadia and they just totally blew me away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:57 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:10 pm
Posts: 690
wjs05 wrote:
Mission Viejo 1999: Impressions of the Mainland: The brass and percussion are some of the best I have ever heard. This show sounded UNREAL live.


If I remember correctly, isn't that the one that started with this insanely loud trumpet fanfare, followed by this huge bass from low brass and synth? When I heard them I literally thought I was at a drum corps show or something. "Blow your face off" in the first few seconds. Gave me goosebumps every time.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:15 am
Posts: 4
As a class of ’95 Valley View Grad, I had the opportunity to see live, (and via aggressive video watching) quite a few outstanding shows live. Without showing too much bias towards my own school, here’s a few that stick out:

Etiwanda ’92- The year they beat Clovis West and went to BoA Grand Nationals. This was Bernstein’s mass and the musical maturity was just ridiculous. The visuals started sloppy, but by the time RCCs Big Orange classic came around, it was tight. The fact that they won against a field that included them, Clovis West, Poway, Vista, and Mt. Carmel was just astounding.

Mater Dei ’93- Rocky Point Holiday as a closer?! Tight Drill design for a small band but still a great deal of sound. I remember them being very “in-tune”

Rancho Bernardo ’95- The planets. Not always the tightest band visually, but the brass sound of this band was ridiculous.

Mission Viejo ’94- The first “composed for the field” show I’d ever seen. I believe it was a Key Poulan composition, but I could be wrong. The drumline was sick, and the arrangements were interesting, plus the off-metered stuff ( I think they had a piece in 7/8) always made it seem super-challenging, given the difficulty of getting kids to stay in step to 4/4 time.

I’ll give a seconding for Beyer’s ’94 show. They had actually swooped in and won the ’93 BoA regionals as a relative unknown to SoCal bands and they arrived in ’94 with a ton of confidence. They ultimately lost to an Etiwanda show that was technically superior, but was super boring to watch.

Clovis West ’95- My first field experience as a college student was watching them perform an On the Waterfront show that was ahead of its’ time. If I’m not mistaken, this was the last year they had their esteemed director that found a new home in Union City.

Finally, I couldn’t finish this without a nod to my own alma-mater. I will tout Valley View’s 1993 show, Dvorak’s New World Symphony. I will admit that we peaked early that year, and by the time the SoCal championships arrived, we finished well below our potential. In the early going, we were blowing the doors off competitors. The highlight, as a performer, was a show in a show in Las Vegas, with Etiwanda as the only other viable competition. We finished second, but there were multiple spectators that thought we had the better show, just less reputation. I wish I had good opinions for other decades, but I’ve only been a once a year observer lately. And not always in California, either.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:53 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:03 pm
Posts: 978
dmcoach wrote:
I'll just throw some random schools from the 90's:

Street
--------------------
Castle Park HS - Those shields!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLk_8vWMyKA
Montebello HS - Listen to that fanfare! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ_xZeE6jJ0
Thousand Oaks HS - Mindy Cabral spinning mace (the band is amazing as well) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mLruihlR4
Edgewood MS -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZO1y64nUvE
If this sounds and looks familiar, it's because... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9iTdQoJh0
Hidden Valley MS - Check out the white flags https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmPEt6suHW8

Yep, these are the ones I remember as well. And of course, Arcadia. Also, I like seeing both Castle Park and Chula Vista High School


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:58 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:32 pm
Posts: 97
Location: SB
Luis wrote:
dmcoach wrote:
I'll just throw some random schools from the 90's:

Street
--------------------
Castle Park HS - Those shields!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLk_8vWMyKA
Montebello HS - Listen to that fanfare! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ_xZeE6jJ0
Thousand Oaks HS - Mindy Cabral spinning mace (the band is amazing as well) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mLruihlR4
Edgewood MS -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZO1y64nUvE
If this sounds and looks familiar, it's because... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9iTdQoJh0
Hidden Valley MS - Check out the white flags https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmPEt6suHW8

Yep, these are the ones I remember as well. And of course, Arcadia. Also, I like seeing both Castle Park and Chula Vista High School


I love a good 90's parade band so I feel like every band in this 1993 Mt Carmel Tournament of Bands video should be considered a top 90's Band (thank you for uploading Luis!)

https://youtu.be/UZpB2AIh0aE

Mt Carmel
Poway
Rancho Bernardo
Arcadia - their performance at Chino 1998 is my favorite 90's band performance - https://youtu.be/CvYOpEVphBw
Thousand Oaks
Vista

_________________
"The happiest people don't always have the best of everything, they make the best of everything"


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:34 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:10 pm
Posts: 690
VVHSCR95 wrote:
As a class of ’95 Valley View Grad, I had the opportunity to see live, (and via aggressive video watching) quite a few outstanding shows live. Without showing too much bias towards my own school, here’s a few that stick out:

Etiwanda ’92- The year they beat Clovis West and went to BoA Grand Nationals. This was Bernstein’s mass and the musical maturity was just ridiculous. The visuals started sloppy, but by the time RCCs Big Orange classic came around, it was tight. The fact that they won against a field that included them, Clovis West, Poway, Vista, and Mt. Carmel was just astounding.

Mater Dei ’93- Rocky Point Holiday as a closer?! Tight Drill design for a small band but still a great deal of sound. I remember them being very “in-tune”

Rancho Bernardo ’95- The planets. Not always the tightest band visually, but the brass sound of this band was ridiculous.

Mission Viejo ’94- The first “composed for the field” show I’d ever seen. I believe it was a Key Poulan composition, but I could be wrong. The drumline was sick, and the arrangements were interesting, plus the off-metered stuff ( I think they had a piece in 7/8) always made it seem super-challenging, given the difficulty of getting kids to stay in step to 4/4 time.

I’ll give a seconding for Beyer’s ’94 show. They had actually swooped in and won the ’93 BoA regionals as a relative unknown to SoCal bands and they arrived in ’94 with a ton of confidence. They ultimately lost to an Etiwanda show that was technically superior, but was super boring to watch.

Clovis West ’95- My first field experience as a college student was watching them perform an On the Waterfront show that was ahead of its’ time. If I’m not mistaken, this was the last year they had their esteemed director that found a new home in Union City.

Finally, I couldn’t finish this without a nod to my own alma-mater. I will tout Valley View’s 1993 show, Dvorak’s New World Symphony. I will admit that we peaked early that year, and by the time the SoCal championships arrived, we finished well below our potential. In the early going, we were blowing the doors off competitors. The highlight, as a performer, was a show in a show in Las Vegas, with Etiwanda as the only other viable competition. We finished second, but there were multiple spectators that thought we had the better show, just less reputation. I wish I had good opinions for other decades, but I’ve only been a once a year observer lately. And not always in California, either.


Absolutely great post, and yes (wholeheartedly).

Some extras:

Mission Viejo '94 was Jim Wunderlich's "Prelude and Allegro." All original music, indeed, which was quite rare for that time.

Beyer '94 was sloppy, but really, really exciting. Loved the drum feature, and the human voice synth choir that ended their show as the winds are draped with the checkered flag. (The guard was amazing, too, and for them this was the norm.)

Clovis West '96 was the last year Mr. Barrera was at CW. In '96, on an "off" Saturday, I made a special trip to a podunk field tournament in the San Diego area for a MBASC (loosely related to WSBMC) show just to see the world famous Clovis West band that I had only read about in World of Pageantry magazine (print edition). I bribed my dad to drive me to this show. We made it to the show just in time so I could see this band. My jaw was seriously dropped the whole way through. First flagrant use of electronics I have ever seen, and yet amazing technical performance. All the CW bands--particularly '93 and beyond--were ahead of their time.

Valley View '93 was a great band. My band (Fountain Valley, Class of '97) competed against you guys and used to consider you a "rival." But Valley View '93 was way, way better than us. I remember you guys took sweepstakes at Valencia, made finals at BOA as the first band to perform at some ungodly hour of the morning, and 2nd Place at the Star of Nevada Invitational (where Etiwanda took 1st). Awesome band. You guys were "first on" at a lot of shows, but cleaned up!

Great memories!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:15 am
Posts: 4
I recall Fountain Valley trading places with us pretty often. We were early performers mostly due to budget issues surrounding how many comps we could go to.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:44 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:10 pm
Posts: 690
VVHSCR95 wrote:
I recall Fountain Valley trading places with us pretty often. We were early performers mostly due to budget issues surrounding how many comps we could go to.


Maybe in 1992. But from '93 onwards, we never touched you guys.

Thanks for the interesting fact about why your band went on early at different shows. Most band directors would think this would put them at a disadvantage. But it never seemed to affect you guys, which was very cool.

Alan


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:40 pm 
Offline
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:24 pm
Posts: 3159
Location: Brea, California
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone mentioned the VVHS "New World" show. I wrote that! I LOVED writing for VVHS and helping them "get off the ground". I lost the drill design position when they went with the FAR superior designer Myron Rosander (RIP). And boy did VVHS just GO! All because of the great leadership of Trent Newton. "New World" was really fun to write to though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned FVHS 97. I would think that that would be one of the best 90's show. That was the year that FV won Savanna, and people were expecting a brawl at TofC that year with TO, but it got rained out. GAH!!!

Oh......I have a TON of 90's bands that I remember, but I will zip my lip. Many of them already talked about. But three memories I do want to say....

FVHS and MVHS were WAY ahead of the power curve in terms of amplification and electronics. I remember distinctly being a little old school here on WOP about electronics and how "unfair" I found it that tuba parts were being doubled and "fooling" the crowd with an unnaturally low sound. A certain world famous drum instructor took exception to that and tried to teach me about the idea of "texture" and effect rather than "doubling a tuba part". That played out here in WoP. I was schooled.

1995 Vista's show was FLAT OUT BAD ASS. That was Brad Van Patten's band then, and they came to Arcadia that year (I was announcing) and LITERALLY blew our faces off. They were there and they meant it. It was an awesome performance.

And........I kept hearing back then that VVHS did music from Independence Day on the field, and I heard back then that that show was ABSOLUTELY incredible. But I never saw it. The show that I DO think was VVHS's best was the show with those props that they stood on...wooden....and they did Ron Nelson music. And it was REALLY FREAKIN' fast. Like 200bpm.

_________________
Ryan H. Turner
http://vkdm8687.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:05 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:52 pm
Posts: 199
Ryan H. Turner wrote:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone mentioned the VVHS "New World" show. I wrote that! I LOVED writing for VVHS and helping them "get off the ground". I lost the drill design position when they went with the FAR superior designer Myron Rosander (RIP). And boy did VVHS just GO! All because of the great leadership of Trent Newton. "New World" was really fun to write to though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned FVHS 97. I would think that that would be one of the best 90's show. That was the year that FV won Savanna, and people were expecting a brawl at TofC that year with TO, but it got rained out. GAH!!!

Oh......I have a TON of 90's bands that I remember, but I will zip my lip. Many of them already talked about. But three memories I do want to say....

FVHS and MVHS were WAY ahead of the power curve in terms of amplification and electronics. I remember distinctly being a little old school here on WOP about electronics and how "unfair" I found it that tuba parts were being doubled and "fooling" the crowd with an unnaturally low sound. A certain world famous drum instructor took exception to that and tried to teach me about the idea of "texture" and effect rather than "doubling a tuba part". That played out here in WoP. I was schooled.

1995 Vista's show was FLAT OUT BAD ASS. That was Brad Van Patten's band then, and they came to Arcadia that year (I was announcing) and LITERALLY blew our faces off. They were there and they meant it. It was an awesome performance.

And........I kept hearing back then that VVHS did music from Independence Day on the field, and I heard back then that that show was ABSOLUTELY incredible. But I never saw it. The show that I DO think was VVHS's best was the show with those props that they stood on...wooden....and they did Ron Nelson music. And it was REALLY FREAKIN' fast. Like 200bpm.


Valley View 97 was a mixture of Independence Day and Star Gate, the music of David Arnold. The show was AMAZING.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:44 am 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
wjs05 wrote:
Valley View 97 was a mixture of Independence Day and Star Gate, the music of David Arnold. The show was AMAZING.

It was fantastic, one of my all-time favorites.

1997 was the only year I was able to make WBA/WSMBC Championships. While we're on that year and talking about great bands, it would be remiss to not mention another VVHS: Victor Valley. This was back before WBA had different criteria and different finals for the upper and lower divisions. Back then, the Class top two A-60 (now A) and A-90 (now AA) bands made finals and competed against the big boys. And little, barely 70-member Victor Valley tied for High Music with Mission Viejo in Finals. Beating Valley View, James Logan, Beyer, Live Oak, and everyone else in the music caption. They were 5th overall, too, the highest ever finish by a Class A band in WBA.

1997 WSMBC Championship Finals, Stockton, CA (UOP Stagg Stadium)
95.725 James Logan (Visual, Effect, Guard)
95.025 Mission Viejo (Music-tie, Percussion)
92.750 Beyer (DM)
88.900 Valley View
88.200 Victor Valley (Music-tie)
87.775 Grants Pass
86.525 Live Oak
85.950 Buchanan
85.575 Clovis West
81.050 Clovis
79.475 Amador Valley
78.175 Valley Christian
75.300 Hoover
69.400 Kennedy
69.000 Ceres


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:24 am 
Offline
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:24 pm
Posts: 3159
Location: Brea, California
Hostrauser wrote:
wjs05 wrote:
Valley View 97 was a mixture of Independence Day and Star Gate, the music of David Arnold. The show was AMAZING.

It was fantastic, one of my all-time favorites.

1997 was the only year I was able to make WBA/WSMBC Championships. While we're on that year and talking about great bands, it would be remiss to not mention another VVHS: Victor Valley. This was back before WBA had different criteria and different finals for the upper and lower divisions. Back then, the Class top two A-60 (now A) and A-90 (now AA) bands made finals and competed against the big boys. And little, barely 70-member Victor Valley tied for High Music with Mission Viejo in Finals. Beating Valley View, James Logan, Beyer, Live Oak, and everyone else in the music caption. They were 5th overall, too, the highest ever finish by a Class A band in WBA.

1997 WSMBC Championship Finals, Stockton, CA (UOP Stagg Stadium)
95.725 James Logan (Visual, Effect, Guard)
95.025 Mission Viejo (Music-tie, Percussion)
92.750 Beyer (DM)
88.900 Valley View
88.200 Victor Valley (Music-tie)
87.775 Grants Pass
86.525 Live Oak
85.950 Buchanan
85.575 Clovis West
81.050 Clovis
79.475 Amador Valley
78.175 Valley Christian
75.300 Hoover
69.400 Kennedy
69.000 Ceres


I think Ralph Ewell was there at the time. Great band!

_________________
Ryan H. Turner
http://vkdm8687.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics