MIRA MESA INVITATIONAL BAND REVIEW and FIELD TOURNAMENT

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Rifleman
New Recruit
New Recruit

MIRA MESA INVITATIONAL BAND REVIEW and FIELD TOURNAMENT

Post by Rifleman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:02 pm

Line Ups for the Band Review and Field Tournament.
Attachments
2015 MMHS PM Field Line-Up.pdf
(258.19 KiB) Downloaded 1623 times
2015 MMHS AM Field Line-Up.pdf
(257.08 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
2015 MMHS Parade Line-Up.pdf
(255.33 KiB) Downloaded 882 times

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: MIRA MESA INVITATIONAL BAND REVIEW and FIELD TOURNAMENT

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:35 am

Ayala will be there! :D

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:50 am

Hostrauser wrote:Ayala will be there! :D
Wow! This is actually pretty significant. Mt. Carmel is "the band to beat" in SCSBOA 6A right now, and for all divisions, I believe. To come down to their turf (more or less) and take them on in SCSBOA is quite bold. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:56 am

airons0678 wrote:
Wow! This is actually pretty significant. Mt. Carmel is "the band to beat" in SCSBOA 6A right now, and for all divisions, I believe. To come down to their turf (more or less) and take them on in SCSBOA is quite bold. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
The enTANGOment Mt.Carmel show is the best show they have ever put on, in my opinion. I wonder though, is it an adaptation from a national band? Like how RB did last year and the year before? Either way, I had never seen it. Mt.Carmel is on fire!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:29 am

wjs05 wrote: The enTANGOment Mt.Carmel show is the best show they have ever put on, in my opinion. I wonder though, is it an adaptation from a national band? Like how RB did last year and the year before? Either way, I had never seen it. Mt.Carmel is on fire!
What are their musical selections? The website doesn't say.

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
wjs05 wrote: The enTANGOment Mt.Carmel show is the best show they have ever put on, in my opinion. I wonder though, is it an adaptation from a national band? Like how RB did last year and the year before? Either way, I had never seen it. Mt.Carmel is on fire!
Not sure. But music could have been Alberto Ginastera's music. But man...HIGHLY entertaining, well-choreagraphed and polished. What is surprising is that they have a parade band that sounds really good, too. There is some fine teaching going on there.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:38 pm

wjs05 wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
Not sure. But music could have been Alberto Ginastera's music. But man...HIGHLY entertaining, well-choreagraphed and polished. What is surprising is that they have a parade band that sounds really good, too. There is some fine teaching going on there.
Here is a video of them at the Rancho Bernardo Tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wie5Vlw9_yk

This could be really good! "Rumble in Diego"!!!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:49 pm

I heard some Astor Piazzolla music in there. Check out Phantom Regiment 2004 for a DCI show that might have had at least a little influence on Mt. Carmel's show. It's the only BOA/DCI "tango" show that I know of.

lo123
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lo123 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfXpUl7fSps Here's a vid of MC this past Saturday :D

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:14 pm

wjs05 wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
The closer is El Tango De Roxanne from Moulin Rouge.
drummer

PSM
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PSM » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:11 pm

airons0678 wrote:
Ayala has no particular interest in "taking on" Mt. Carmel or anyone else at Mira Mesa. They're looking for SCSBOA feedback on music and show design because they're prepping for a BOA Nationals run next season and intend to take a real shot at winning. BOA is a bit closer to SCSBOA's design sensibilities as far as music composition and performance is concerned, and closer to WBA's sense of visual design, which they've basically got wired. They got hit last time at Nationals for reasons related to music design (still in the top 12 though) so they want a wide range of feedback as they design their championship run.

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:21 pm

PSM wrote:
airons0678 wrote:
Ayala has no particular interest in "taking on" Mt. Carmel or anyone else at Mira Mesa. They're looking for SCSBOA feedback on music and show design because they're prepping for a BOA Nationals run next season and intend to take a real shot at winning. BOA is a bit closer to SCSBOA's design sensibilities as far as music composition and performance is concerned, and closer to WBA's sense of visual design, which they've basically got wired. They got hit last time at Nationals for reasons related to music design (still in the top 12 though) so they want a wide range of feedback as they design their championship run.
Ayala doesn't need to waste it's time with scsboa bands, we're national contenders ... lol

Ayala is definitely the band to beat in CA
I'm sure there are lots of people at Ayala who respect their competition no matter what circuit
drummer

PSM
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PSM » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 pm

uci_guy wrote:
PSM wrote:
airons0678 wrote: translation: Ayala doesn't need to waste it's time with scsboa bands, we're national contenders ... lol

I'm sure there are lots of people at Ayala who respect their competition no matter what circuit
As to the latter, yes, of course. The Ayala program has always had really outstanding sportsmanship.

As to the former - I didn't say that and it's unfair for you to imply that there's some sort of lack of respect here, especially because I was responding to the idea that Ayala is going down to MM for the specific purpose of "taking on" SCSBOA's 6A "band to beat." What is this, some kind of marching band gunslinger convention?

If they were really interested in taking on the SCSBOA field they'd do their requisite three shows and go to championships.

What, they're going to travel this far, in a prep year for a run at nationals, in order to do one show, in a circuit they haven't competed in for maybe ten years - for the specific purpose of trying their hand against Mt. Carmel? The idea is absurd on the very face of it.

Mt. Carmel looks and sounds great this year, but "hey-this-one-specific-band-is-at-this-competition-let's-go-see-if-we-can-beat-them" is not sufficient motivation for Ayala (or any other band, for that matter) to take this trip.

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:41 pm

I'm sure there are lots of people at Ayala who respect their competition no matter what circuit[/quote][/quote][/quote]

As to the latter, yes, of course. The Ayala program has always had really outstanding sportsmanship.

As to the former - I didn't say that and it's unfair for you to imply that there's some sort of lack of respect here, especially because I was responding to the idea that Ayala is going down to MM for the specific purpose of "taking on" SCSBOA's 6A "band to beat." What is this, some kind of marching band gunslinger convention?

If they were really interested in taking on the SCSBOA field they'd do their requisite three shows and go to championships.

What, they're going to travel this far, in a prep year for a run at nationals, in order to do one show, in a circuit they haven't competed in for maybe ten years - for the specific purpose of trying their hand against Mt. Carmel? The idea is absurd on the very face of it.

Mt. Carmel looks and sounds great this year, but "hey-this-one-specific-band-is-at-this-competition-let's-go-see-if-we-can-beat-them" is not sufficient motivation for Ayala (or any other band, for that matter) to take this trip.[/quote]

Wow. You must LOVE to hear yourself talk. YOU are the one taking everything out of context. The entire point to the Ayala vs Mt.carmel "thing" is that as marching band fans, its exciting to see two powerhouses compete for the thrill of it. It's a win-win for everyone. Get over yourself.

PSM
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PSM » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Let's go back:
airons0678 wrote:
To come down to their turf (more or less) and take them on in SCSBOA is quite bold.
Me: That's not actually what they're doing. Reasons.
uci_guy wrote: Ayala doesn't need to waste it's time with scsboa bands, we're national contenders ... lol

(edited in a line about Ayala being the band to beat in CA)

Me: That's not what I said at all. Clarification of reasons.
wjs05 wrote: YOU are the one taking everything out of context.
Um... What? Why are you emphasizing the word "YOU" here? I haven't accused anyone of taking anything out of context.
wjs05 wrote:The entire point to the Ayala vs Mt.carmel "thing" is that as marching band fans, its exciting to see two powerhouses compete for the thrill of it. It's a win-win for everyone.
Sure, why not. I get it.
wjs05 wrote:Get over yourself.
I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my spout. When I get all steamed up, hear me shout! Tip me over and pour me out.

Better?