NCBA Rules/Cupertino TOB Rules

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

jaewoopepper

NCBA Rules/Cupertino TOB Rules

Post by jaewoopepper » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi, I was just at the Cupertino TOB and a bunch of us were confused about some of the awards.
First, was there an Auxiliary/Guard Award this year?
How does Field Show Sweepstakes work in relation to winning one's class?
How are the scores over 100 (like in the 300s to 400s) calculated?
What affects the "Showmanship" award?

Thanks!

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: NCBA Rules/Cupertino TOB Rules

Post by JCYS » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:16 pm

jaewoopepper wrote:Hi, I was just at the Cupertino TOB and a bunch of us were confused about some of the awards.
First, was there an Auxiliary/Guard Award this year?
How does Field Show Sweepstakes work in relation to winning one's class?
How are the scores over 100 (like in the 300s to 400s) calculated?
What affects the "Showmanship" award?

Thanks!

I can't answer all your questions, but maybe a couple. I wasn't at Cupertino so I don't know what kind of auxiliary awards were given, those are always the choice of the host school, not NCBA.

A sweepstakes award is a group that gets the highest score in the parade/field show regardless of class. In most competitions this removes them from their class and the group that technically got 2nd in class gets 1st instead, as the top band in the show gets the sweepstakes award.

All scoring if in the hundreds, but the decimal is moved one place for the final score...(ie, 937 becomes 93.7) In a caption (like showmanship) although the decimal move comes only in the final score, it would mean if you scored a 288 in showmanship it would equal 28.8 in your final score out of 100. But as I stated, it is not done that way...the 3 major captions are added together as hundreds THEN the decimal is moved.

Showmanship on the street includes the sub captions of drum major, auxiliary, sound of major body, look of major body.

Hope that helps.