The Complete Marches of John Philip Sousa

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Complete Marches of John Philip Sousa

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:52 pm

I’ve just become aware the US Marine Corps Band (in Washington, D.C.) has made available their first volume of “The Complete Marches of John Philip Sousa.”

You can download MP3 performances or hear them on YouTube, by the President’s Own band, AND – to almost everyone’s delight – you can download PDFs of each one of them.

Here’s the link:
http://www.marineband.marines.mil/Audio ... Sousa.aspx
or:
http://bit.ly/CompleteMarchesSousa1
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: The Complete Marches of John Philip Sousa

Post by JCYS » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 am

This is really cool, even if it is going to take them 6 years to complete it! I have some things I'm wondering about though...

What are they going to do about giving out pdf parts and scores to the marches still under copyright?

It says 136 marches, I wonder if that is going to include any of the "recently discovered" marches (or fragments) like Library of Congress and Old Ironsides?

Also quite interesting that they are doing the in chronological order.

Hope they come out better than the "Heritage of JP Sousa" did. I know that the sponsor of that project fought constantly with the Marine Band recording engineers over the very poor mic placement and balance of percussion to winds, usually to no avail. Although that series can't be duplicated in it's completeness of Sousa's music (including suites, operetta selections, etc.)

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: The Complete Marches of John Philip Sousa

Post by PGOK » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Since it's in chronological order, and it will take six years, everything should be in public domain by the time it's done.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx