My current top 20 SCSBOA Class A Bands

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

teacherken
Veteran
Veteran

My current top 20 SCSBOA Class A Bands

Post by teacherken » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Strictly for the purpose of discussion, based on the scores at SCSBOA events so far this year (yes, can't compare show to show, yada yada yada...), here is my current ranking of the top 20 SCSBOA Class A bands (bearing in mind that many schools haven't come out yet, there are incomplete shows, it's early in the season, not all of these schools are planning on trying for Championships, etc.)

Also, FYI, to date, 50 schools have participated in an SCSBOA Class A competition.

1. Palos Verde
2. Los Angeles
3. La Costa Canyon
4. South East
5. Santa Margarita
6. Oceanside
7. Northview
8. Hawthorne
9. Steele Canyon
10. Highland
11. Gabrielino
12. Otay Ranch
13. Dos Pueblos
14. Lancaster
15. Oxnard
16. Tustin
17. Saddleback
18. Marshall
19. El Capitan
20. JFK

teacherken
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My current top 20 SCSBOA Class A Bands

Post by teacherken » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:06 pm

As of 10/27 (still awaiting some partial scores from Simi)
To date, 61 schools have participated in an SCSBOA Class A competition.

1. Palos Verde
2. La Costa Canyon (+1)
3. Los Angeles (-1)
4. South East
5. Santa Margarita
6. Oceanside
7. Hawthorne (+1)
8. Steele Canyon (+1)
9. Gabrielino (+2)
10. Dos Pueblos (+3)
11. Saddleback (+6)
12. Oxnard (+3)
13. Highland (-3)
14. Lancaster
15. Marshall (+3)
16. JFK (+4)
17. Tustin (-1)
18. Northview (-11)
19. Otay Ranch (-7)
20. Verdugo Hills (NR)

bass3bwoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bass3bwoy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:01 pm

Out of curiosity, why did Los Angeles fall a spot? Why is Palos Verdes still in the #1 spot? Palos Verdes' higher score isn't higher than Los Angeles' lower score. Correct me if I'm wrong, to date, Los Angeles is the only 1A to score 70+ this season.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:13 am

Still being relatively early, I think the band's single top score is a better indicator of where the bands might be in a rank order.

I wonder how many bands compete for championship with only 3 shows?
If they do, then every score counts. 4 shows or more and you "throw out the lowest score(s).

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 am

Historically there has always been a few groups who put in for SCSBOA champs with only 3 qualifying shows, usually these are groups who also perform in WBA or MBOS, or ones that start competing later in the season....but it is more common (at least in 1A) to see group do 4 or 5 shows.

It is hard to say that the groups highest score is the best indicator at this time of year. If we look at the grid closely (and remember the past) there are many instances where a group has a lower second or third score. There are lots of factors that can play into this...we've probably all had those shows that were spot on and then the next time we have a bunch of kids feeling ill or it's crazy windy and cold and so on. Some groups also just historically are earlier or later season blooming groups.

At this point I'd say just about everything is up for grabs. I definitely would put LA at the top of the list though. I haven't seen them but they are pretty much always in the top 3 of 1A with San Marcos (now in 2A) and Charter Oak (new director this year, never know what that might mean) and always continue to have score growth throughout the season.

That all being said, every year is a new year, you never know who will suddenly come out of left field and surprise you.

teacherken
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teacherken » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:33 am

[quote="bass3bwoy"]Out of curiosity, why did Los Angeles fall a spot? Why is Palos Verdes still in the #1 spot? Palos Verdes' higher score isn't higher than Los Angeles' lower score. Correct me if I'm wrong, to date, Los Angeles is the only 1A to score 70+ this season.[/quote]

No disrespect is intended. My list is based on an algorhythm that looks at when the scores were earned, and projected growth through the season. As additional scores are added, they are factored in for an average. LA's score "fell" because their first score projected them in the low 90s at the end of the season. The top 2 have not competed since their first contest, at the beginning of the season.

It's fluid, and will change, and includes groups that are not going to SCSBOA championships, and, and, and, and....

Ken

bass3bwoy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bass3bwoy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:50 pm

teacherken wrote:
bass3bwoy wrote:Out of curiosity, why did Los Angeles fall a spot? Why is Palos Verdes still in the #1 spot? Palos Verdes' higher score isn't higher than Los Angeles' lower score. Correct me if I'm wrong, to date, Los Angeles is the only 1A to score 70+ this season.
No disrespect is intended. My list is based on an algorhythm that looks at when the scores were earned, and projected growth through the season. As additional scores are added, they are factored in for an average. LA's score "fell" because their first score projected them in the low 90s at the end of the season. The top 2 have not competed since their first contest, at the beginning of the season.

It's fluid, and will change, and includes groups that are not going to SCSBOA championships, and, and, and, and....

Ken
That would make sense. Haha☺ So it should be clearer later on during the season? It's like a power ranking.

teacherken
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teacherken » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:42 am

As of 11/1. To date, 65 schools have performed in SCSBOA Class A competition.

1. Los Angeles (+2)
2. Palos Verde (-1)
3. Santa Margarita (+2)
4. Oceanside* (+2)
5. South East (-1)
6. Lancaster (+8)
7. Hawthorne (NC)
8. Gabrielino (+1)
9. La Costa Canyon (-7)
10. Dos Pueblos (NC)
11. El Camino Real* (NR)
12. Saddleback (-1)
13. Oxnard (-1)
14. Marshall (+1)
15. Steele Canyon (-7)
16. Highland (-3)
17. JFK (-1)
18. Damien* (NR)
19. Northview (-1)
20. Don Lugo (NR)

* = not attending SCSBOA Championships

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Power Rankings with Algorithms? That's way too complicated for me. You guys must be the type who play fantasy football and such. I just kind of look at how things have been in the past for a group and what they've done so far....traditions of excellence etc.

It will be interesting to see how the division plays out this year, and especially what happens soon as a few of the groups haven't been out for awhile (Dos Pueblos, Charter Oak, Santa Margarita, a few others) and it is really hard to get any idea where a group might go when they've only put up one score.

Are there really 65 1A groups in SCSBOA?!?! That makes me kind of sad to think there are that many of us. Almost makes me think SCSBOA should consider adjusting the class sizes again since we have way more 1A's than when they first changed the size class from 40 to 50.... I know there are more than the ones listed on the grid, but didn't realize there were quite that many. On the other side of that though I guess we always have to remember there are those LA City bands that only compete at the very end of the season and LAUSD Champs is usually very 1A heavy.

teacherken
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teacherken » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:43 pm

[quote="magicsax22"]Are there really 65 1A groups in SCSBOA?!?! [/quote]

I think that number will end up being in the mid- to high- 70s by the end of the season. And I agree, it may be time to rethink the classifications again, especially since there is such a huge difference between a 1A band with 20 winds and one with 40.

Ken

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Agreed. I would be in favor of moving the number of musicians to 40 - even 45 would be better than 50. I wonder how many bands this year would be in 2A if the number was 40?

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:09 pm

Don Lugo is competing with 25 winds and 4 percussion.

teacherken
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teacherken » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:55 pm

[quote="Jim Bunselmeier"]Agreed. I would be in favor of moving the number of musicians to 40 - even 45 would be better than 50. I wonder how many bands this year would be in 2A if the number was 40?[/quote]

Withing SCSBOA, I think a complete revamping is more in order.... Perhaps adding a class overall so we can split the 1As rather than pushing the upper end into the 2As. Bands with less than 30 total musicians need an opportunity to be judged on their individual merits, especially when you consider that, almost by definition, they have incomplete instrumentation and voicing issues.

By the same standard, simply pushing bands with 40 musicians into 2A would require them to be judged "on par" with bands with almost twice as many players. However, the disparity decreases as the overall band size increases.

So for the sake of discussion...
A = <31 musicians
2A = 31-45 musicians
3A = 46-70 musicians
4A = 71-90 musicians
5A = 91-120 musicians
6A = 120-150 musicians
7A = >150 musicians

Any idea how this would translate this year?

Is there any desire to factor in the impact of guard size?

Ken

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:38 pm

I think I would just go back to the upper end of 1A being 40 like it was back about 7 years ago. I think the choice to change at that time was that the division had so few bands in it that many shows never had 1A bands, and ones that did only ever had a few. I definitely agree there is a huge difference between 48 musicians and 30, especially if those are mostly winds. I may be off base, but I believe that if you track that 1A numbers from champs the last few years or more you'll notice that the bands in the top 4 tend to always have much closer to 50 than those in the lower side....but I could be wrong. I think it is just a little weird to go to shows and see 15 1A bands competing but you definitely have a split between the big 1A bands and the small ones.

Lancaster is marching 21 winds with 12 percussion....definitely makes for interesting balance concerns.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Let's keep an eye on the week night shows. Things could change a little before Saturday Nov 8th.