WBA Fresno meet up?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

NorthHardin

WBA Fresno meet up?

Post by NorthHardin » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:11 pm

I will be going to the WBA 3A and 4A championships (finals) all by my lonesome self. I live in California, but I am from the midwest and don't have any "band nerd" friends out here. Anyone going interested in meeting up? It is much better to watch with someone you can make comments to. Don't you think it is strange that a state this big has a marching championship at a high school stadium instead of somewhere larger? In Kentucky, the state championships are huge and even sold out a couple of years with spectators being forced to sit on the backfield stands. Anyway, any other "single" band spectators out there?

TracerBullet

Re: WBA Fresno meet up?

Post by TracerBullet » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:00 pm

NorthHardin wrote:I will be going to the WBA 3A and 4A championships (finals) all by my lonesome self. I live in California, but I am from the midwest and don't have any "band nerd" friends out here. Anyone going interested in meeting up? It is much better to watch with someone you can make comments to. Don't you think it is strange that a state this big has a marching championship at a high school stadium instead of somewhere larger? In Kentucky, the state championships are huge and even sold out a couple of years with spectators being forced to sit on the backfield stands. Anyway, any other "single" band spectators out there?

There are three reasons-

1. California's sports staduims are quite significantly larger than those in Kentucky- The RoseBowl is 109,000 seating, second largest in the nation. In addition, California usually has stuff going on in it's staduims on a Saturday, because we have college football teams that are, um, good.

2. California is MUCH larger than Kentucky- drive time from Sacremento to San Diego is a full day. When things are like that, it's harder for people to come to the finals that are generally held at least 6 hours from ~1/2 the schools.

3. California has stuff to do on a Saturday. Kentucky does not.

SoCalBandFan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SoCalBandFan » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:55 pm

TracerBullet wrote:
NorthHardin wrote:I will be going to the WBA 3A and 4A championships (finals) all by my lonesome self. I live in California, but I am from the midwest and don't have any "band nerd" friends out here. Anyone going interested in meeting up? It is much better to watch with someone you can make comments to. Don't you think it is strange that a state this big has a marching championship at a high school stadium instead of somewhere larger? In Kentucky, the state championships are huge and even sold out a couple of years with spectators being forced to sit on the backfield stands. Anyway, any other "single" band spectators out there?

There are three reasons-

1. California's sports staduims are quite significantly larger than those in Kentucky- The RoseBowl is 109,000 seating, second largest in the nation. In addition, California usually has stuff going on in it's staduims on a Saturday, because we have college football teams that are, um, good.

2. California is MUCH larger than Kentucky- drive time from Sacremento to San Diego is a full day. When things are like that, it's harder for people to come to the finals that are generally held at least 6 hours from ~1/2 the schools.

That was a real rude reply! Fact is we did have WBA Championships at Fresno State in 2001 amd Cal State Fullerton in 1999. I'm not sure why they split A/AA and AAA/AAAA prelims and championships. I have heard that Buchanan has a wonderful stadium and should work out great.

I do believe the main purpose of NorthHardin's post though was to find someone or a group to watch the show with. And regarding your 3rd reason; what makes you an expert on Kentucky?

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:01 pm

TracerBullet wrote:

There are three reasons-

Coming across a little arrogant and harsh, don'tcha think? As much as I'm a Californian, and take pride in it, California is big, but not that great. Too much talk. People don't have respect anymore.

Buchanan has a VERY nice stadium for a high school (went there for WSMBC Championships in 1998).

NorthHardin

Post by NorthHardin » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:10 pm

OK - I did not intend to imply that Kentucky was better than California - just that a SMALL state like KY will hold marching championships in stadiums such as WKU (capacity 18,000) and UK (capacity 70,000). One much larger than the other, but both much larger than a high school stadium. Either way, get back on your meds SOON!

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post clarification

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:52 pm

NorthHardin wrote:OK - I did not intend to imply that Kentucky was better than California - just that a SMALL state like KY will hold marching championships in stadiums such as WKU (capacity 18,000) and UK (capacity 70,000). One much larger than the other, but both much larger than a high school stadium. Either way, get back on your meds SOON!
Post clarification: My post was in response to the first reply to the original post.

NorthHardin

Post by NorthHardin » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:45 pm

Glad to hear that Buchanan has a good stadium. Regardless of how this post has gotten way off topic and become rather strange, I am looking forward to going.

Mr. Bill
New Recruit
New Recruit

Looking for Someone to Hang Out With

Post by Mr. Bill » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:27 pm

Back to the original subject and question. If you don't find someone to hang out with come by the Ayala Trailers and hang with us. We are a friendly group and are looking forward to a great time in Fresno. The trucks are easy to spot, Black, Red & White with Ayala emblazined on the side.