SCSBOA Championships

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Give up or not give up...

Post by vore » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:36 pm

Band Adjudicators (most of whom are current or former band directors), hope and even expect competitive band directors to educate their students, staff and parents about the entire judging process.

From one who has competed for nearly 30 years and having adjudicated over 25 years, "the perspective of what is expected from a judge is much different when you become a judge." My bands became much better once I sat in the box or on the stand.

The answer to producing a better product is quite simple... I have been using this statement with my students, instructors and clinics for years... here it comes:

"You can see and hear everything!"

From the slighest pitch or tone production problem to the slightest inconsistant step size or horn angle. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the whole marching band gig. One just have to have big ears and big eyes... and you don't need a criteria reference. Any old plain piece of paper and pencil will do.

vore
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

percussion101
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by percussion101 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:31 pm

Goth_MV_Tenor wrote:Just because we dont list mira mesa or ramona for that matter doesnt mean we dont consider them competition. We are just more concerned with the bands directly around us in current placement...we havent really had them on our minds cuz they havent been at any of are comps so far. We will see at Vista.

well i do beg to differ. we are aware of all the competition we have and we all treat them with the same amount of respect. when i say respect, what i mean to say is that we all pay the same amount of attention to all of the bands in our division. you never know when a band you never heard of that is down the line from you comes all the way up to surprise you.

fritoflaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by fritoflaker » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:58 pm

:? Hmm. I wish none of this had happened. I think that Goth_MV_Tenor was slightly misunderstood. Let me see if I can clear this up...In no way does Murrieta have a 'big head' about the competitions this year. Sure, we are glad that we have won, but we are'nt bragging in the slightest. And as far as the 'other bands' are concerned...this is where it stands.

-We have always looked up to North and now compete against them almost every weekend. We know that they are competition for champs.
-As far as Granada is concerned, our director told us a couple of weeks ago that the Top Three were: Granada, John North, and Murrieta. (Us.) So naturally, we feel competition against them.

-For every other 5A band out there, or any band for that matter: It was not our intention to make you feel as if we don't think you're competition. We've simply only experienced a few bands that have proved they are.

-To Helix, Mira Mesa, and Temecula. Good luck on Saturday! I'm sure we'll see some incredible talent from you guys. We just haven't had the chance to yet.

-Hope that made sense to everyone! Our school is not cocky in the slightest. We truly do appreciate everyone who's out there workin hard!

-GOOD LUCK TO ALL! :D
Marissa
Murrieta Valley Crimson Cadets
Percussion Captain

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

6A Predictions

Post by dudewheresmycar » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:02 pm

I know its early and some of these bands haven't competed against each other yet, but here are my early predictions for 6A:

1. Etiwanda
2. Rancho Bernardo
3. Rancho Buena Vista
4. El Dorado
5. Chino
6. Arcadia
7. Diamond Bar
8. Vista

High Percussion: Etiwanda
High Colorguard: Rancho Bernardo

rickyric
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: 6A Predictions

Post by rickyric » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:21 pm

[quote="dudewheresmycar"]I know its early and some of these bands haven't competed against each other yet, but here are my early predictions for 6A:

1. Etiwanda
2. Rancho Bernardo
3. Rancho Buena Vista
4. El Dorado
5. Chino
6. Arcadia
7. Diamond Bar
8. Vista

High Percussion: Etiwanda
High Colorguard: Rancho Bernardo[/quote]

Good Predictions. I think you are right on!

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:51 pm

First of all sorry if I offended anyone, this was not my intention. Second, what I am posting is my opinion and I dont expect everyone to agree with me, I post my opinion so I can get positive feedback, not to make people mad. Thirdly, thanks to dudewheresmycar for changing the subject! Lets leave all this behind us. :)
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

VHSbaritonplayer

4a Bands

Post by VHSbaritonplayer » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:03 pm

How about some predictions for the 4a bands?

05percussion
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 05percussion » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:15 pm

here is my predictions for championships. I don't know very much about 1a so I'll go straight to 2a.
2a
Santa Margarita will probably take the title this year. I don't know how Capistrano valley is doing this year but I have heard they are not as good as last year. Saugus is the school that I have been most impressed with. I would not be surprised to see them in the top three or even winning.

3a
the bottom of the competition is always hard to predict but in my opinion, the top four are already decided.
Glendora, Westlake, Hart, and Riverside Poly will all probably end up in the top five. I have little doubt that any body but these four groups could take the title and it looks like the next few weeks are realy going to determine who comes out on top.

4a
I have seen some good 4a shows this year but to put it simply, I don't see anybody beating Valencia. they may have some tough competition, but this is one good 4a band.

5a
I think that 3a and 5a have the best competition for the top. This division has Granada Hills, John North, and Murrieta extremely close together. Plus, savanna, Ramona, Los Altos, Mira Mesa, and Helix are also going to be in the hunt for a top spot. In my opinion, this is the one division that is a complete toss up right now.

6a
I could spend my time right now writing about all the great 6a groups. Instead I am just going to say that there is little chance that anybody but Etiwanda will win. their is show is simply unbeatable this year. In past years I would be unsure with Etiwanda going against Rancho Bernardo, Chino, El Dorado, and Arcadia, but this year I have complete confidence that Etiwanda will win championships.

saugusbandgeek
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by saugusbandgeek » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:35 pm

Well I don't know much about any of the divisions, all I can say is this: Westlake and Hart are going to do very well, Granada is going to to very well, and I like your 2A predictions! However, some people thought that last year and well.............a bad show can cost you quite a few placings.
Saugus High School Marching Band
2000-2004

CrazyCali8605
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrazyCali8605 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:45 pm

i think it will b close in general, but i think its going to b closest in the top 4 of those stated. Etiwanda is very good this year (as with every year) but remember, no band is unbeatable. anything can happen out on the field. RB's show is very clean this year, and that scores alot of points. RBV and El Dorado have very entertaining shows (NOT THAT EVERY OTHER BANDS SHOW ISNT, thats obviously not true, dont mistake that) but from what ive heard, RBV and El Dorados show (and also Arcadias) seems to b the big crowd pleasers. it will b close. good luck to all the bands in SCSBOA championships and abroad.

lukeTMRtrumpet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lukeTMRtrumpet » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:17 pm

hopefully next year will be a different year and we will get to go to championships and be in these kind of conversations! i really want to wish everyone luck and do your best remeber all of you guys are top notche groups top 10 soo no worries where ever you place it is still very good!! soo good luck and best wishs to all divisions

Lucas
TMR trumpet section leader

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletMusic » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:10 am

Hi I go to Helix and I just wanted to say best of luck to Murrieta Valley. This will be the first time you've competed with us and Mira Mesa and I wish I could see your show but unfortunatly, we go on after you. Does anyone know if percussion is being judged at this event (Vista)?

-Mike
Helix Pit

fritoflaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by fritoflaker » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:49 pm

:D Thank you! Best of luck to you as well!!

*And yes, Percussion is judged on an overall basis.*
Marissa
Murrieta Valley Crimson Cadets
Percussion Captain

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:53 pm

anyone going to longbeach wanna meet up? :D :)

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:22 pm

Because I am a wuss and cannot commit to a single band, I will pick the top 2 for each division, in alphabetical order. If I am wrong, guess what? I cannot predict the future! Also, please do not take offense if your name is not listed. Seriously, what the heck do I know?!?!

A
Arlington
John Marshall

AA
Santa Margarita
Saugus

AAA
Hart
Westlake

AAAA
Carlsbad
Valencia

AAAAA
Granada Hills
Murietta Valley

AAAAAA
Etiwanda
Rancho Bernardo (they are on the list now!)

I will say that I am pretty confident that Carlsbad will win 4A and Etiwanda will win 6A. But again...I know nothing really so don't base any decisions on these predictions!

Mike Gangemi
Assistant Director of Bands
Westlake High School