200th Anniversary of our National Anthem

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

200th Anniversary of our National Anthem

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:39 pm

A lot has been said about our National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, over the years. One being that it is almost impossible to sing well. Many have tried to have it changed to something else. Personally I like it because it is unique. Some like it performed more traditionally in military style while some like to try squeeze more emotion out of it. So, what is your favorite version of the "Star Spangled Banner"? There should be two categories for this discussion... best arrangement... and best performance.

My vote goes to the version arranged by Marvin Branson for the California State University Long Beach "Big Brown Music Machine" marching band back in 1973. The first time I heard their 200 member band play it I got goose bumps all over and my eyes teared up. Later I got to perform it with them as a member of the band. For me this is both the best arrangement and performance. A close second for me in performance would be Whitney Houston at the Super Bowl in 1991.

Long Beach State - The National Anthem - mp3 (4.3 MB)

What is your favorite?
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: 200th Anniversary of our National Anthem

Post by JLGORMAN » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:07 pm

The Arrangement of the National Anthem used by the US Army Band
" Pershings Own" with the Herald Trumpets and Field Drums.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

Brich
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 200th Anniversary of our National Anthem

Post by Brich » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:16 pm

The early 1960s recording of the National Anthem by William D Revelli and his University of Michigan Symphony Band is one of the finest performances I have ever heard...virtually perfect blend and balance.