Proposed New Spring Band Review in Southern California

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Proposed New Spring Band Review in Southern California

Post by dr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Proposed New Spring Band Review in Southern California – Any interest?

I have been in contact with a civic group from Fontana that is interested in attracting more bands to their annual Fontana Days Parade. In particular, they would like to incorporate a Band Review that feeds into the Parade. This event would revitalize the Kaiser/Fontana Invitational Band Review. The problem is that the 101st Fontana Days Parade takes place the first Saturday in June, June 7, 2014. The host band would be the award-winning Kaiser HS Catamount Pride Band and Color Guard, directed by Maestro Anthony J. Allmond.

Last year’s 100th Annual Fontana Days Parade featured Sammy Hagar as the Grand Marshall. Other activities associated with the 4-day (Thursday-Sunday) Fontana Days Festival are the Fontana Days Run (a 13.1 mile half marathon competition-almost all downhill-a 2000 foot drop in elevation, ending at City Hall), a 5K Run, a 5K Racewalk, a carnival, a fitness expo, and a hen derby(?). The Band Review portion, and possibly the parade, would be planned and coordinated by Dennis P. Rodda, Chairman.

Knowing that many schools are in the final days of the school year or already on summer break, the organization is exploring the idea of financial incentives to attract bands that may be willing to continue their marching band season through June 7. Those incentives, similar to those offered by the Parade Marching Association, might be cash prizes and/or transportation reimbursement.

The event would be held north of the I10 (San Bernardino Freeway) near Sierra Avenue and Arrow Boulevard. The parade begins at 11:00 AM, so the Band Review would take place starting at 10:00 AM. It would feature a full Band Review panel (Head Judge, Starter, M&M, 2 Music, Showmanship, 2 Auxiliary, Drum Major, Drill Team) and awards this first year would be presented to all participating bands.

While June 7 is late in the season, it could be the culmination of the spring parade season SCSBOA competitions including the Temple City Camellia Days Parade, the Laguna Beach Patriots Day Parade, the San Juan Capistrano Swallows Day Parade, and the Fillmore May Festival Parade.

If this sounds like an event you think might be workable for your band’s schedule, please let me know. Also, let me know if there are any specific incentives or features you would like to be considered. The sponsoring civic group is very open to making this event a showcase for Southern California marching bands and pageantry. You can contact me in a reply to this thread or privately PM me if you would prefer.

dr
Semper Musicus
800M miles/hour! It's the law!