What does it take to be in a college marching band?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

stewartjames008
New Recruit
New Recruit

What does it take to be in a college marching band?

Post by stewartjames008 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:34 pm

I'm planning on going to Iowa State and I really liked marching band this year. So I'm wondering if anyone can get into their marching band or if I have to do an audition kind of thing & if so, what would I have to do?
Does music have to be my major? I really just want to be in the band for fun.
Also, do you know if I have to play piccolo? I play the flute and I didn't see any flutes listed, only piccolos.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What does it take to be in a college marching band?

Post by Chapagne » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:01 am

It's been over 20 years since I was in a college marching band, but it seems to me that since you have a specific band in mind, you really should be contacting them to ask. I imagine different bands have different requirements, so contact Iowa State's in a professional manner, introduce yourself, state your interest and ask what they require.

A quick Google search turned up this page: http://www.music.iastate.edu/org/marching/?page_id=32
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:35 am

Speaking from Big 12 Country, I recommend you also look at the Iowa State Band Facebook Page. Iowa States Band does not require you to be a Music Major, in fact the majority of the Band is not made up of music majors. The Marching Band has 300 members. I would imagine that an audition would be part of the placement and enrollment in the Band, however it is not like undergoing juries for performance. The Iowa State Band travels to several games a season and has a good reputation in the Big 12.

Playing in a College Band is great and a real stress releaser. If you are going to be new to the Ames, IA area, the Band is a great place to meet new friends, many of whom become lifelong friends. College Bands do not compete, thus there is less pressure, because you are playing for the Fans and not several judges.

Follow up and contact the Band. I am sure that you will find them welcoming and willing to help you in any way possible.
Jeff Gorman
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

stewartjames008
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by stewartjames008 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:38 am

JLGORMAN wrote:Speaking from Big 12 Country, I recommend you also look at the Iowa State Band Facebook Page. Iowa States Band does not require you to be a Music Major, in fact the majority of the Band is not made up of music majors. The Marching Band has 300 members. I would imagine that an audition would be part of the placement and enrollment in the Band, however it is not like undergoing juries for performance. The Iowa State Band travels to several games a season and has a good reputation in the Big 12.

Playing in a College Band is great and a real stress releaser. If you are going to be new to the Ames, IA area, the Band is a great place to meet new friends, many of whom become lifelong friends. College Bands do not compete, thus there is less pressure, because you are playing for the Fans and not several judges.

Follow up and contact the Band. I am sure that you will find them welcoming and willing to help you in any way possible.
Jeff Gorman

stewartjames008
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by stewartjames008 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:43 am

Thanks alot. :)