SCSBOA Championship Discussion

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Proficiscor
New Recruit
New Recruit

SCSBOA Championship Discussion

Post by Proficiscor » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:38 pm

With SCSBOA Championships coming up next week, which band(s) performances are you looking forward to? Do you have any specific bands you are rooting for? If so, why?

d.cos9999
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: SCSBOA Championship Discussion

Post by d.cos9999 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Charter Oak and Arcadia

LaurieA
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by LaurieA » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:43 am

I'm an alumni band mom from San Marcos (the one from San Marcos). This will be our first time at champs in quite a few years. We always ended our season before championships before but this time the directors put in for it.
The program does very cool, innovative shows. This one includes live cameras so you can see the show from the point of view of several different musicians on the field while watching the show from the stands. It's really great! Also, the kids are amazing! I love how positive being involved in the music program has been for my kids.

usd_chem_prof
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by usd_chem_prof » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:23 pm

I am just hoping the fine upstanding person who was blaring music from their house while the Mt Carmel tournament was going on is on vacation for the 6A Championships...or gets arrested...

percmom

Post by percmom » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:10 am

We must have had the same upstanding individual at Los Altos last weekend - lovely, albeit conflicting banda music coming from a nearby home at the rear of the stadium :?

Sundevil Dad

Post by Sundevil Dad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:16 am

Since there have been a number of comments regarding our musically challenged neighbors up the hill, I thought I'd post a reply. Apparently, this nice middle-aged couple recently purchased the house and were enjoying the hillside view around their fire-pit, completely oblivious to the fact that several high school bands were performing right under their feet. We couldn't hear it from down below in the school, but were notified by our announcer to "find the thugs blaring their music and shut them down." I thought by thugs he meant Mt Carmel, since we were warming up in front of the band room at the time :)

One of our security volunteers took a golf cart up the hill and asked the couple to please turn their (awful) music down, and they were happy to oblige. For Championships, we're taking the advice offered by Poway and will blanket the neighborhood with fliers (and candy!) to raise awareness. Hopefully we'll have a nice, quiet night (except for OUR noise, which is much more pleasant).

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:54 am

Sundevil Dad wrote:Since there have been a number of comments regarding our musically challenged neighbors up the hill, I thought I'd post a reply. Apparently, this nice middle-aged couple recently purchased the house and were enjoying the hillside view around their fire-pit, completely oblivious to the fact that several high school bands were performing right under their feet. We couldn't hear it from down below in the school, but were notified by our announcer to "find the thugs blaring their music and shut them down." I thought by thugs he meant Mt Carmel, since we were warming up in front of the band room at the time :)

One of our security volunteers took a golf cart up the hill and asked the couple to please turn their (awful) music down, and they were happy to oblige. For Championships, we're taking the advice offered by Poway and will blanket the neighborhood with fliers (and candy!) to raise awareness. Hopefully we'll have a nice, quiet night (except for OUR noise, which is much more pleasant).
Thanks for the update! Sitting in the stands, it did not sound like music a nice middle-aged couple would voluntarily listen to. It very much sounded like a teenage house party! :lol:

Their house was also perfectly positioned so that there were no trees or obstructions between their backyard and the stands, so the music really carried. I'm a little surprised they couldn't hear the bands at all, but it was so foggy it's easily believable that they couldn't see anything going on at the school (other than the stadium lights being on)... so their obliviousness to the event is at least plausible.

Glad to know there (hopefully) won't be a repeat performance! 8-)

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dudewheresmycar » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:02 am

Hostrauser wrote:Thanks for the update! Sitting in the stands, it did not sound like music a nice middle-aged couple would voluntarily listen to. It very much sounded like a teenage house party! :lol:
Agree with Kevin. They were playing top 40's, EDM, and gangsta rap which I wouldn't expect a middle-aged couple to listen to, but who knows? Anyway, thank you to the MC program for being proactive and addressing the situation so as not to have a repeat situation.

Sundevil Dad

Post by Sundevil Dad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 am

We might have been late to the party and only met the parents. If they do this again we'll require them to provide suitable frosty refreshments to the volunteers and aggrieved band director's.

usd_chem_prof
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by usd_chem_prof » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 pm

The 6A contest is going to be amazing. To me, it looks like 7 bands could break 90, with a couple of more right behind. This is my daughter's last year at Poway, so that is who I am cheering for, but in that group of 7 anyone could medal, and anyone could win! The wild card for me is Vista Murrieta. Since they do not have 3 qualifying scores, do they participate?

I am assuming performance order is based on ranking, so if they do perform, they would go really early. But they could set a standard that is tough to beat. If they are there, could 8 break 90?

SuperAction80
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SuperAction80 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 pm

usd_chem_prof wrote:The 6A contest is going to be amazing. To me, it looks like 7 bands could break 90, with a couple of more right behind. This is my daughter's last year at Poway, so that is who I am cheering for, but in that group of 7 anyone could medal, and anyone could win! The wild card for me is Vista Murrieta. Since they do not have 3 qualifying scores, do they participate?

I am assuming performance order is based on ranking, so if they do perform, they would go really early. But they could set a standard that is tough to beat. If they are there, could 8 break 90?
Vista Murrieta has 2 SCSBOA shows scheduled before the deadline...I personally wouldn't call them a wildcard as I think they may be one of the bands to watch as the possible champion/favorites...The interesting race to me are the bands on the bubble....Savanna has one more show and must score above an 86 to secure that 12th spot over Rancho Buena Vista... should be a nail biter for both bands...

RoseParade83
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RoseParade83 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:09 pm

It will be interesting to see how 6A turns out this week. Vista Murrieta should easily get in, but their low third score will likely keep them out of the top 6. As far as I can tell; Poway, San Marcos and Rancho Buena Vista are done, and will likely be passed by other bands with low third scores. Savanna can definitely bump RBV out. El Dorado looks like they can make a run at top six, and Rowland will duke it out at Arcadia on Saturday, looking at a possible top three or four position.

How is the lineup at Championships determined? I know seeding matters, but in what way?

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Line up is determined by lottery for all classes. 8-)

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:49 pm

I think Poway considers themselves a lock based on their schedule for that day: http://www.phsmb.com/

That doesn't surprise me.

What surprises me is they expect to take 45 min to drive to a school 17 minutes away :shock:
drummer

RoseParade83
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RoseParade83 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:58 pm

I looked up last year's thread. Apparently, the lineup was determined by random draw in groups of four. In the case of Rowland, for example, grabbing the fourth seed puts them on at the end of the evening. Getting the fifth seed can push them to an early performance (e.g., fifth band to perform).

Is SCSBOA using the same system this year?