CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS--Part II

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS--Part II

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:29 pm

So, you never know who's reading World of Pageantry. Just as I was mentioning the other day that I thought WOP was beginning to start a slow but sure slide into the internet abyss of insignificance, I got reminded by someone who emailed me privately that there are probably more people READING WOP than actually participating. That's totally cool. So much for the sliding into insignificance...

I was contacted by someone who I won't identify because he didn't give me permission but he did say he marched back Bob Delwarte's West Valley Youth Band. Although he referenced the "drum and bugle crap" of today, I cut him slack because he was harkening back to the yesteryear of what life USED to be like. When marching every week in some "gig" somewhere was where the REAL fun was. I could relate. Although I wasn't in a marching band youth band per se--we were a concert and stage band FIRST, and only marched if teeth had to be pulled--I certainly related to his "gig a week" statement. I played all kinds of weird gigs between being in the Boys' Club Youth Band out of Pasadena and being the "Director of Marching" for the Burbank Lancers. Played conventions, birthday parties in mansions in Westwood, marched (meandered more like it) in parades in Mammoth Lake where "Joanie" was the Grand Marshal...just "out there" kind of stuff....BUT FUN!!!

Ain't that what music should be, anyway?

FUN!?!?!?

In any event, this "old guy" told me to remind all of you to use the social networks out there available to us, like uhmmmmmmm....what is that place called???.....oh yeah, Facebook. Apparently all you have to do is "search" and you'll see reunion groups springing up all over the place.

That's all....carrry on.

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS--Part II

Post by JLGORMAN » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:17 pm

I wonder if there are any readers who ever played in the IOOF Robin Hood Band, directed by David Baskerville between the late 50's and mid 60's. They were a pretty good Concert Band, however I think it took a lot of courage to march in the Green Tights and Forester Hats. I still have one of their albums from 1961. One of the pioneer Youth Bands of Southern CA
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:02 am

I remember both of the two previous bands mentioned. Bob Delwarte's Band was the band that was on the first version of the "Bad News Bears" movie. Bob was a professor of music at CSU Northridge.

I heard the Robin Hood band at a gig we used to do I think at the Shrine Auditorium. I know a guy that plays in the Solano Winds Community Band in Fairfield that was a member of that band.

When I was the director of the California there were nearly 40 youth bands in Southern California. Good times!!!! :lol:
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:44 pm

clarinetking wrote:I remember both of the two previous bands mentioned. Bob Delwarte's Band was the band that was on the first version of the "Bad News Bears" movie. Bob was a professor of music at CSU Northridge.
Gah! I had Bob Delwarte's brass pedagogy class at CSUN. Nice guy.
-Stop global whining.

trombonik

Post by trombonik » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:07 am

Hideeho - I do indeed remember the Robin Hood Band. I was a long time member of the San Fernando Valley Youth Band, Claude Lakey director. We were always in competition with the dudes in green tights. They had the first semi/trailer equipment hauler/refreshment center I saw for a band. We must have been regarded seriously, because they were always trying to recruit our members, but nobody could stand the outfits. The SFVYB was a superb around band, able to play all forms of concert music, jazz like you wouldn't believe and marching (Rams, Chargers, and USC half time shows solo) Interesting that Bob Delwarte was mentioned. He was assistant director for years (I also took private lessons from him). When the Claude and Norma Lakey opened their store in Canoga Park, he managed it and started the West Valley Youth band. Anyone remember C+D Music, the store in Sepulveda (I think its now called North Hills)? What a great place! Amazing teaching staff-I also took lessons from Ken Hanna (Kenton trumpet and arranger) and Roy Main (Les Brown and awesome studio trombone player). There were 3 youth bands sponsored by the store. One was a beginning group, then the Claudehoppers intermediate group that fed into the SFVYB. This was in the late 50's though late 60"s. If anyone's interested, check out the Claude Lakey mouthpieces web page for a detailed timeline of this era of youth bands.

Brich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Brich » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:03 am

Another youth band from the mid to late '60s, based in Anaheim, was the Orange County Optimist Youth Band. I was already playing in the Anaheim Youth Symphony under Rick Marino and H Robert Reynolds, and they suggested hopping over on Monday nights to meet Don Gunderson and play in his Optimist Youth band. Gunderson was a real prince of a man, and a fine leader of high school kids, of course. This band performed in a number of So Cal parades and concerts....good memories for me.

Marvel

Post by Marvel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:07 pm

I played/marched with both the West Valley Youth Band (early-/mid-sixties: I remember slogging through a [rare] snowy/slushy parade route in Sunland/Tujunga, wearing our then-new red/white striped blazers with fake straw boaters and white trousers), as well as that merry green-clad bunch (mid-/late-sixties: especially the 1968 [?] Rose Parade, 300-strong decked out with rolling tympani and fully-amped Fender bass).

Community-based youth bands were a rare and wonderful thing, huh? Such a nice opportunity for kids to (a) get to play and expand their musical horizons and (b) interact... with oodles of other kids in a non-school setting. Lucky us.

speakalittlelouder

Post by speakalittlelouder » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi there everybody. I found this site while looking for web stuff relating to the Robin Hood Band. Just received an email from some fellow wanting to put together a reunion. Well, after seeing what's here I dug out an old program from an awards ceremony in the 50s. So, If you folks don't mind, here's some verbatum history copied directly from the program. BTW...it wasn't much later that Dr. Baskerville hooked us up with the Forresters and we became the Robin Hood Band.
HISTORY -- WEST VALLEY BAND -- 1952-1955

This young people’s musical group was founded September, 1952, by the Reseda Rotary Club, inspired by Mr. Al Berdrow. The band was directed by Mr. Ben Greco, Music Director of Sutter Junior High, Canoga Park, where the rehearsals were held.

On December 12, 1952 a meeting of parents was held, with the object of assuming sponsorship and support of the growing organization. The sponsoring body became the West Valley Junior Band Patrons, a non-profit organization, with annually elected officers headed by Art Reed, president. The Band was officially named the West Valley Junior Band. Patrons and Band members lost no time in raising $1,100.00 for uniforms, and funds have been provided ever since by the Patrons for equipment and the services of a Director.

In February, 1954, direction of the Band was assumed by Vito Susca, Music Director of Verdugo High School, and rehearsals were moved to Reseda Elementary School. At this time it was decided to change the Band’s name to the West Valley Band, in recognition of the increasing age of the young people.

The present Director, Mr. David Baskerville, Music Department UCLA, has been serving since November, 1954. Membership is approaching fifty, and the Band has started winning open competitions in its parade engagements.

At the present time the President of the West Valley Band Patrons is Robert K. Wead, and the success of this group in sponsoring the Band is due to the generous service of the Executive Board, Committee Chairmen, and the Patrons generally.

In September, 1955, plans were made to recognize the devotion and faithfulness of our youthful members by an Installation of Members Ceremony in their honor. This history had been prepared for that occasion, and is dedicated to them by their admiring parents.

ROSTER OF MEMBERS -- 1955

FLUTE:
** Nancy Bryan, ** Jerry Heath, ** Nancy Kingswood, Barbara Wead

CLARINET:
* Bruce Benson, * Gilbert Grace, * Diane Gramlick, ** Charlene Janess, * Dennis Joule, ** Ken Lavoie,
Patricia Murphy, ** Carol Smith, ** Carol Sundermier, ** Donna West

SAXOPHONE:
Lee Lucas, ** Ronald Swanson, * Frank Yerby

TRUMPET:
** David Brown, * Paul Celebron, ** Alvin Farless, Gerrald Forrest, ** Wayne Gramelspacher,
* Jim Hendershot, John Kemp (r), Ronald Johnson, * Bill Lang, * Paul Lewis, Ed Mathews,
** Charles Owens, * Jeff Phipps, * Tom Steinhofer, Martin Tobert, ** Richard Wead, * Ross Willour

TROMBONE:
Ronald McLaren, ** Glen Stone (r)

BARITONE:
* Viggo Butler, * Floyd Harris

PERCUSSION:
* Bob Benson, Mile Bonino, Don Forrest, Ray Roebuck (r), Allen Shorey

BELL LYRA:
Alison Dufault, ** Elizabeth Tunis

BASS TUBA:
John Keller

DRUM MAJOR:
Rosa Lee Interlied (r), Patricia Stansell

** Charter Member under Ben Greco, First Director
* Charter Member under Vito Susca, Second Director
No Symbol -- Member under David Baskerville, Present Director
(r) Reserve Member
Cheers

Marvel

Post by Marvel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:25 am

More recent progress on the RHB reunion front -- there's a new Robin Hood Band FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf# ... 0994769518

Fillydog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fillydog » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:07 am

I'm wondering if the Robin Hood Band turned into the Royal Cavaliers or not?? I've only seen this band briefly on an old Disney DVD. 8-)

bevjok

Post by bevjok » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Wow! A blast from the past!! I was a pom pom girl for both the SFVYB and Claudhoppers in the mid 60's. I have great fun memories from doing parades and shows. We used to practice our routeins at Canoga Park high school. I wish I could remember some names. Anyone out there who used to be one of the pom pom girls?