A question about reporting scores on our scores page?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

A question about reporting scores on our scores page?

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:38 pm

I guess I should ask for your opinion on this one... since I received a complaint this evening from somebody that thought I was doing a bad job by not reporting complete results for some of the shows.

Since SCSBOA does not publish their recaps until Monday afternoon or later, should I list on our scores page only the results I am given from folks who send me the full recaps, or should I try to list the results that I can harvest from the "GRID" that is updated almost immediately on Sunday mornings. I was told unceremoniously last year that SCSBOA will publish the recaps only when their person gets the time to do so. Unfortunately not all the recaps get forwarded to me by WOP members. So.... should I just wait, or be proactive and print what I can find?
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Re: A question about reporting scores on our scores page?

Post by wjs05 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Pro-active. Enough with entitled complainers. geeez. :roll:

SuperAction80
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SuperAction80 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:48 pm

I've noticed scores are slow to come in now and I think its just a hassle to having to write them down...making sure you have something to write on and with...so why doesn't WOP start using Twitter, Texting and other social media to have the scores reported here as they are announced...It works great for HS Football scores...actually flawlessly..

Also set up a number people can text to...Its easy and everyone has a phone ...and no need to write or if you're cheap, a person doesn't need to buy a program.

I had all the scores from SVHS comp text to me from a parent I had met there...I didn't take a jacket and I had been there all day from 1A to 6A and I went from roasting to freezing...so I didn't want to stay an additional hour for scores...they were nice enough to do it...

The old way is just an outdated way...I say post whatever you can get and fill in the missing blanks when you can..

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:36 am

I do have people that are taking photos of the recaps with their cell phone and emailing to me and couple of folks that send them to my cell phone. Unfortunately I can't make out the numbers on my little cell phone screen. :cry: I also get quite a few results email to me via the submit form on the scores page, just not as many as I used to get. Most people just assume that the results are wide available in our new digital age, but they are not! Yet...

My fear with tweeting the scores is that I would only get the scores for individual units and not the complete class or event. And no way to check for errors. I would have to compile how many Tweets to make up a complete recap? :shock: That would leave me in the same boat I am in now... incomplete results. I wish that the folks at SCSBOA, NCBA and SCJA would trust me enough to forward me the official recaps after the shows. I know that those recaps are floating around in people's emails late on Saturday nights. :wink:
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

SuperAction80
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SuperAction80 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:29 am

Twitter could be messy but it is quick and effective...High School Sports blogs have the little twitter box for scores and the individual reader can go back and find the scores they want see. I think most people would post their whole class...maybe not the whole comp and it might be easy to compile scores by midnight for a competition instead of waiting for webmasters of circuits/associations to post the recaps days later...

Texting can get messy also if the person decides to text each score individually which happened to me on Saturday. However the effort and the person actually doing it trumped the inconvenience of get 30+ texts...I could see a nightmare scenario if you have texts coming in for 10 comps...Again a dedicated moderator could sort it out in hours rather than waiting days

Remind people who like to do it the old fashion way to take a pen and paper a scribble them down and have the post them or even fax them to WOP. Put that reminder in the events section where people look and print lineups...You have to constantly remind people to be diligent about writing and reporting the scores...

Good luck...

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaporch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:55 am

Dave,

Just keep doing what you do. You are providing a free service that, honestly, is not necessary. It is great to have, but without it life would still go on.

If someone REALLY wants to know results NOW, then they should attend the performance or find someone who is there to send them the scores. Anything other than that is an extra and should not be expected.

What you do is perfectly fine for the reasonable people. Don't let the unreasonable people get you down.

Thanks for providing the service that you do!

-Greg

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Dave,

Have you tried contacting SCJA for them to forward scores to you? They seem to be the slowest association to get scores to WOP. Still waiting for the Nov 2 scores from two of their shows. The West Bakersfield show had scores posted right away. How does that work?

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Jim Bunselmeier wrote:Dave,

Have you tried contacting SCJA for them to forward scores to you? They seem to be the slowest association to get scores to WOP. Still waiting for the Nov 2 scores from two of their shows. The West Bakersfield show had scores posted right away. How does that work?
I emailed the address on the contact page several weeks ago and he answered back, over a week later, only that he posts them when he gets them. I used to be a member of the association and once upon a time I volunteered to do their website for a small one time fee. I felt it important that it had some monetary value so they would value it, but apparently that offended some, so they turned me down. When people get stuff for free they usually treat it like its free, which means they ignore it or abuse it.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

SuperAction80
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SuperAction80 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Chaporch wrote:Dave,

Just keep doing what you do. You are providing a free service that, honestly, is not necessary. It is great to have, but without it life would still go on.

If someone REALLY wants to know results NOW, then they should attend the performance or find someone who is there to send them the scores. Anything other than that is an extra and should not be expected.

What you do is perfectly fine for the reasonable people. Don't let the unreasonable people get you down.

Thanks for providing the service that you do!

-Greg
This is the kind of snarky comments that just rub me the wrong way...I would love to go to Los Altos this weekend because there are some bands I haven't seen yet and know the results, but I have a commitment to go to San Dimas...So with your "attend the performance" comment do you know a secret how I can be in two places at once...because if you do I sure would love to know it.

I come here to see scores. Its easier than going to 5 different websites that I'm unfamiliar with to find them...WOP is easy, I'm familiar and comfortable with it... Do I expect it...no....Do I wish score would be more timely...Yes..so I suggested some ways to do it...so this service may not be necessary for you...that's fine, but it is for others...

People will expect more for free... it's the nature of the beast...I post videos of a certain band and everyone expects them posted and linked to Facebook asap...I took on that responsibility starting in 2006 and it doesn't bother me doing it as I'm sure it doesn't bother people around her to do it for the readers...

I'll post the scores of the show I'm going to this weekend if need be... Trust me no inconvenience on my end...Hopefully others will do the same... I'm done...nothing more to say

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaporch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Posting of scores is not a necessary event. Is it desired, wanted, even looked forward to by many people? Yes! (me included) However, it is in no way an important event that should be taken for granted. It has no real value to our life other than entertainment. It should NEVER be something that causes someone to get upset and send Dave a nasty email. It's just not THAT important.

Dave provides a service for free to those who wish to discuss all things pageantry, including scores. I, along with most of you, appreciate the work that he does to keep this website up and running and he should NEVER have to deal with people who treat him poorly.

I stand by my comments that if you must know scores NOW, then go to the show or find someone who is going and have them share them with you. One should never expect that the scores will be posted here. One can only hope that someone posts them.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Hey! It's Thanksgiving month. I don't post that much any more. I will admit that I'm on this website all the time, mainly for scores and schedules, and sometimes for good discussions. So THANK YOU Dave (and everyone who sends Dave the scores) for taking time out of your day to do this. Speaking for myself and other band directors, this is an awesome resource.

Will life go on if (heaven forbid) Dave retires? Sure. While I hope there is an "heir" or "apprentice" who's ready to take over, I will not hold my breathe for it. But SCSBOA is modernizing, BOA and WBA has been pretty good about posting scores, and other associations simply are too--well, maybe "humble" is the word? It's THANKSGIVING month!--to post scores. They will be found somehow. It's 2013.

(When I was in marching band from 1993-1996, the only way I could get scores from other events was pick up a copy of World of Pageantry Magazine...and you can be sure it wasn't published weekly! I don't think the band fans were as "ravenous" back then, or at least the ones who were came to events and had friends at other events. We've come a long way!)

Keep on keeping on.

Alan

MaestroOfBandX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaestroOfBandX » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Dave, I have 1A and 2A recap from the SCJA show at HBHS I could send you. What email address?

MaestroOfBandX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaestroOfBandX » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Just saw it at the top of the score page.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:20 pm

MaestroOfBandX wrote:Dave, I have 1A and 2A recap from the SCJA show at HBHS I could send you. What email address?
Thanks, I just got it and those results are now posted to the scores page. Thank you!

BTW, my email is at the right bottom corner of every page of the website.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Mark Stone
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark Stone » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:45 pm

I know this discussion has probably run its course, but I wanted to say how much I appreciate you posting the scores and keeping the archive. I understand that you can only post what you receive or can find on the web and have no expectation that you stay up all night on Saturday trying to get the information. I will say I check the page multiple times during Sunday and appreciate what ever information you can get whenever you can get it.

Keep up the good work and don't let those people get you down!

Thanks!
Mark Stone, Ayala High School