Host Band Scores go on SCSBOA Grid?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

shrmntnk

Host Band Scores go on SCSBOA Grid?

Post by shrmntnk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Why does the score that the host band receives during their exibition performance qualify to be posted on the SCSBOA championship Grid?

The host band provides hospitality to the judges, is it fair that the host band's exhibition score can be used to place the band in the grid standings?

Hart was an exbition band at their own ternament last weekend, but their score places them in 1st place in the 4A standings.

Where can I take the judges out to dinner so my band can get a higher score?

Doesn't seem right.

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Host Band Scores go on SCSBOA Grid?

Post by horns2thebachs » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Are you saying that bands should be penalized for hosting a tournament by having one less qualifying show? Also, I don't know about that particular band at said tournament, but based on their past success, I doubt that a hospitality tent had anything to do with their score.

ODannyBoi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ODannyBoi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:11 pm

LOCK This thread please.

...and Sherman, learn to spell before you troll.
Daniel J. Magallanes
Director of Bands,
Monrovia H.S. - Monrovia, CA
www.MonroviaMusic.org

usd_chem_prof
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by usd_chem_prof » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Actually, I was going to ask this same question, but in a more polite way. If anything, the kids who help host the tournament usually spend the day working as volunteers in various capacities until it is their call time. Having worked at Poway's Tournament for the past 5 years, I do know that a large number of kids are on campus from 8 am or earlier until their call time. Their competition day pattern is completely disrupted, and if anything, I have felt their performances were lower than expected, with appropriate scores to match due to their hard work for the tournament.

Personally, I would be more concerned about these scores hurting their "ranking" than helping.

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:42 pm

The writers comments are insulting and show no knowledge of what goes into hosting a Band Competition. Shortly after reading this thread, I posted the Nebraska State Bandmasters Championship results from Saturday. I wonder if the writer has any problems with what happened there.
1. The Host Band Millard West Finished 3rd overall. The fact that they had usually finished this high throughout the year should be questioned because they were the host?

2. Bellevue East, directed by one of the Vice Presidents of the NEBA won the competition. The fact that they have been Nebraska's best Band for the last couple of years, should not count because obviously the Band Director had pull.

Throughout the country Host Bands are competing in events due to the problems of travel and distances between other events, and the pure fact that the judges are already there so why not be rated(or scored as you folks say).

I suggest the writer think about what he is alleging. I do not care how the Grid works, but I have to believe that the host Band being scored is not a offense under any Organizations Rules Book.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by dr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:06 pm

You REALLY think that Hart got their score because the judges were fed? I'm not sure which is more appalling - your opinion of Hart or your opinion of the judges. How new ARE you? I would say something even more rude but I think anyone who knows anything about SoCal competition would find that opinion ridiculous.

Anyone who has any knowledge of Hart's history or knows what a host band at an SCSBOA-adjudicated marching band competition is subjected to and how little of their time can be spent concentrating on their exhibition performance couldn't possibly believe they are at an advantage. Most often the band will score lower than when they are actually competing - sometimes significantly lower. However with a short 4-5 weekend season, is it any wonder why a host would take that opportunity to get another score, possibly their only way to fulfill the three score minimum necessary for even qualifying for SCSBOA Field Championships. We learned a couple of years ago how important every score can be when several competitions were rained out, eliminating potential Championships winners from even participating.

Just because you imagine a conspiracy doesn't mean there is one. I would suggest a long, hard reevaluation of that opinion. It is simply wrong and, sorry to say, ignorant in the purest definition of the word, and I don't often use that word. Moderators: I am okay if you want to delete my post or delete the entire thread. I just had to say something.
Semper Musicus
800M miles/hour! It's the law!

Luis
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Luis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:18 pm

shrmntnk wrote:
The host band provides hospitality to the judges, is it fair that the host band's exhibition score can be used to place the band in the grid standings?
Yes, it's fair.
shrmntnk wrote:
Where can I take the judges out to dinner so my band can get a higher score?
You have to take every single one to Prime Steakhouse at the Bellagio in Las Vegas in order for your band to get a higher score :roll:
dr wrote:You REALLY think that Hart got their score because the judges were fed? I'm not sure which is more appalling - your opinion of Hart or your opinion of the judges. How new ARE you? I would say something even more rude but I think anyone who knows anything about SoCal competition would find that opinion ridiculous.

Anyone who has any knowledge of Hart's history or knows what a host band at an SCSBOA-adjudicated marching band competition is subjected to and how little of their time can be spent concentrating on their exhibition performance couldn't possibly believe they are at an advantage. Most often the band will score lower than when they are actually competing - sometimes significantly lower. However with a short 4-5 weekend season, is it any wonder why a host would take that opportunity to get another score, possibly their only way to fulfill the three score minimum necessary for even qualifying for SCSBOA Field Championships. We learned a couple of years ago how important every score can be when several competitions were rained out, eliminating potential Championships winners from even participating.

Just because you imagine a conspiracy doesn't mean there is one. I would suggest a long, hard reevaluation of that opinion. It is simply wrong and, sorry to say, ignorant in the purest definition of the word, and I don't often use that word. Moderators: I am okay if you want to delete my post or delete the entire thread. I just had to say something.
Bravo Dennis! :clap2: :bow:

shrmntnk

Post by shrmntnk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Wow, what friendly responses from the forum.

Considering who responded, and their comments, I got my answers.

SuperAction80
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SuperAction80 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:14 pm

My questions really go towards band directors...If it's allowed, and I think it is, why doesn't a band compete in their own show? Other circuits do. Seems with scores, grids and championships, it makes sense to me for a band to compete in their hosted show.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:24 pm

shrmntnk wrote:Wow, what friendly responses from the forum.

Considering who responded, and their comments, I got my answers.
Bad troll! No biscuit!

:knight: