1A SCSBOA.

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Panicpete

Re: 1A SCSBOA.

Post by Panicpete » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:56 am

Indianagary. They have a good chance at scoring high at champs their scores were pretty close to charter oak and LA droped

IndianaGary

Post by IndianaGary » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 am

That must bode well for them. I believe they placed 4th at championships last year. I think they can contend with charter oak for 3rd place this year
Last edited by IndianaGary on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Case
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chris Case » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 am

Panicpete, would you please clarify your statement as to "LA droped". Is LA no longer planning on going to champs or do you mean their scores dropped?

IndianaGary

Post by IndianaGary » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:19 am

Chris Case, I think he means that they have dropped in their place on the grid. I wouldn't think that the reigning champs would skip championships. Panicpete just worded it awkwardly

d.cos9999
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by d.cos9999 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:15 pm

I'm Pushing for San Marcos, L,A. and Charter Oak for top three in 1A.

Congrats to all of the schools that made it to finals!

d.cos9999
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by d.cos9999 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Charter Oak is a great program! Keep doing what you do!

IndianaGary

Post by IndianaGary » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:55 pm

I'm rooting for Los Angeles, Gabrielino, and Charter Oak. I believe they can take the top 3 if they perform to their greatest ability. I don't know if you guys have noticed but San Marcos has an excellent percussion but not so great band unlike the other schools which are all well rounded as an entire group. If the judges take notice of this, the top 3 can change

Panicpete

Post by Panicpete » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:07 pm

I don't think charter oak has that exciting of a performance and I also agree that San Marcos is relying on their drumline to score high (their drumline is in insanely clean) the band hardly plays plus San Marcos looks like they have to many people on the field for 1a, I know aux doesn't count but I think they are over the 1a limit.

trump543

Post by trump543 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:38 pm

I personally enjoyed Charter Oak's performance very much. Perhaps it's just a matter of preference?

I just recently saw San Marcos's show and although I do agree that their drumline:band ability/performance is unbalanced, they are very solid and undoubtedly be in the top.

d.cos9999
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by d.cos9999 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Panicpete wrote:I don't think charter oak has that exciting of a performance and I also agree that San Marcos is relying on their drumline to score high (their drumline is in insanely clean) the band hardly plays plus San Marcos looks like they have to many people on the field for 1a, I know aux doesn't count but I think they are over the 1a limit.
San Marcos has 48 wind/percussion performers. Nice try!

Panicpete

Post by Panicpete » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:24 pm

d.cos9999 I thought I counted more than that at one of their first competitions I went to, but it still doesn't change the fact their band hardly plays.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Being close to 50 musicians (the largest number in the division) is a real advantage in 1A. I think more so than any other division.

I am already thinking ahead to next year. This year we had 11 WW and 17 brass with a drum set. Our relatively large brass section made us sound pretty loud but it was hard to get a full sound. An additional 20 musicians (of the correct instrumentation) could make a HUGE difference in our music performance and effect.

Abra kadabra! Instant well balanced band!!!

Good luck to all the 1A bands who made it to Champs. From one director whose band did not make it.

Euphman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Euphman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:16 pm

d.cos9999 wrote:
Panicpete wrote:I don't think charter oak has that exciting of a performance and I also agree that San Marcos is relying on their drumline to score high (their drumline is in insanely clean) the band hardly plays plus San Marcos looks like they have to many people on the field for 1a, I know aux doesn't count but I think they are over the 1a limit.

I saw San Marcos at Oxnard. Half of those 48 musicians are percussionists, so they are getting A LOT of sound out of just 20-something horns. Kudos to their staff for being able to balance so many drummers against so few horns. And to the poster who thinks they don't play much, think again. They were playing a really tough book and moving very well given the high demand of their drill.

And please note, I have zero affiliation with this group. Just calling 'em like I see 'em.

:king:

IndianaGary

Post by IndianaGary » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Euphman wrote:
d.cos9999 wrote:

They were playing a really tough book and moving very well given the high demand of their drill.

:king:
I personally don't see their winds music as being difficult, but they do move extremely well in their drill. Their forms are extremely clean. What I do find difficult is their percussion music which is why they probably score so high. Their percussion is amazing for a high school

Panicpete

Post by Panicpete » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:38 am

I went to see LA their show was ok I thought it was a step down from last year. Does anyone else think the field looks cluttered? It might just be me but I think all those manikins on the field just makes the show/marching hard to follow.