Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Favorite NCBA Parade Band performances of all time

Post by PGOK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 pm

MasterT wrote:
JCYS wrote: If I had to pick a favorite Nor Cal performance, it would be pre-NCBA...the 1987 Del Oro Band in Ron Jones last year doing "Sinfonians" while marching step 1 drill at the old Manteca band review. Made me completely rethink my idea of street band.
Step 1 drill? :?

Not familiar with that. Would you explain what that was/is?
(or better yet...providing a video link of Del Oro executing that kind of movement)
As is usual, count 1 is on the left foot.
From a company front you step off every count. So, first person steps out with the left foot, and second person steps out with the right foot, and so on.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:46 am

PGOK wrote:
MasterT wrote:
JCYS wrote: If I had to pick a favorite Nor Cal performance, it would be pre-NCBA...the 1987 Del Oro Band in Ron Jones last year doing "Sinfonians" while marching step 1 drill at the old Manteca band review. Made me completely rethink my idea of street band.
Step 1 drill? :?

Not familiar with that. Would you explain what that was/is?
(or better yet...providing a video link of Del Oro executing that kind of movement)
As is usual, count 1 is on the left foot.
From a company front you step off every count. So, first person steps out with the left foot, and second person steps out with the right foot, and so on.
Tried to find something on YouTube...but didn't see anything. I have a couple videos that were inherited by me in this job of the 1986 Lodi Band Review that has Del Oro on them, but they are VHS.

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 am

Send 'em to me. At the present rate of technology implementation in our district, our band room ought to receive a VCS player in about 35 years. :lol:

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:19 am

supermutant wrote:Send 'em to me. At the present rate of technology implementation in our district, our band room ought to receive a VCS player in about 35 years. :lol:
LOL John :lol:

I hear you. At one school I have to do a "technology assignment" every year, but I have NO technology in my room (used to have a tv & dvd player...janitor knocked it over and broke it)

MasterT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MasterT » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:47 pm

JCYS wrote:
PGOK wrote:As is usual, count 1 is on the left foot.
Tried to find something on YouTube...but didn't see anything. I have a couple videos that were inherited by me in this job of the 1986 Lodi Band Review that has Del Oro on them, but they are VHS.
Wow, THANKS PGOK and JCYS!!! Your insight was very helpful.

So is the step off done from one side and works its way to the other? (presumably until the entire block formation is set?)

Any reason why step 1 drill is not done in NCBA street performances these days? I remember back in the late 90s/early 2000s when block collapses were common for showmanship points (usually performed by smaller bands, around the trio section of their marches). Don't see that much anymore.
Once a drum major, always a drum major.

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 am

Probably because of small gain in showmanship, and big exposure to error in marching.
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself