who has the best parade band?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Spin Doctor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Spin Doctor » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:52 pm

euphman wrote:Azusa 1964....what was that? a 99.5 or something like that??? :shock: :shock:
http://www.azusaalumni.com/Ross/MarchingBand.html
azusaalumni.com wrote:In May of 1963...

Playing 'The Stars and Stripes Forever' the band achieved the following score -
Marching: 200 out of a possible 200 points. A perfect score.
Showmanship: 298 out of a possible 300 points
Music: 497 out of a possible 500 points.
Scoring 995 points out of a possible 1000 with zero inspection errors and no infractions or penalties.
995 points divided by 10 equals 99.5 out of 100.
The Aztec Band performance of 1963 scoring 99.5 out of 100 possible points is probably the greatest single marching band performance ever achieved by any high school band.
I never did forget that night...
And now...
More than twenty years later...
I still remember every note of the music that wandered out into the still night air.
The only thing is...
I can't remember how to play it anymore.
~The Wonder Years

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:14 am

euphman wrote:Azusa 1964....what was that? a 99.5 or something like that??? :shock: :shock:
Dude...you're old!! :D

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

So who is the best parade band?

Post by dudewheresmycar » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:42 am

I would definitely have to say Rancho Bernardo who went undefeated the whole season in parade and for all music sweepstakes captions (including field). Though Arcadia has been around longer, RB has proved they are the parade band to beat. Till next season. . .

Cavalier81
Rookie
Rookie

How far do you want to go back?

Post by Cavalier81 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:44 am

If you want to know the best parade band for the last 25-30 years?
We should talk to VORE. John knows the so cal parade band history like no other. He also taught some of the best bands.
I know musically, Poway back 1978 and 1979 were unbelievable.
Won music both years at Long Beach
BBF and GV
Lost to AVHS and then Arcadia. Both year by .05

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Best parade bands in So Cal history!

Post by vore » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:20 pm

Reed,

Thanks for the vote... (also, thanks to Dennis Rodda and Ryan Turner)

Now that I am on the spot, folks will have to wait until my book comes out sometime next year.

"The Complete History of the Southern California School Band Movement."

The book follows the development and historical importance of the school bands decade by decade. Historical documents, facts, stories, photos and interviews with the top directors over the decades. Funny anecdotes included...

Along with the most important aspect of the band programs - MUSIC, the book will also feature the development of the marching band - parade band included.

Over the past decades, the best bands were led by the very best directors who consistantly maintained a high standard of music performance.

The research began years ago, but the interviews of the "shakers and movers" continues...

until the book goes to print...

vore
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

LTL'98
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: You're right!

Post by LTL'98 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:44 pm

ILL~BE~BACH wrote:
Phantom Phan wrote:As far as NorCal goes, I'd have to rank the Top 5 Parade Bands like this:

1. Benicia HS, Benicia
2. Golden Valley HS, Merced
3. Las Plumas/Oroville HS, Oroville
4. Foothill HS, Pleasanton
5. Fairfield HS, Fairfield
This line-up is exact! Finally someone who knows their bands. I hope GV beats Benicia some day and I know that Fairfield can beat Foothill. Let the ranking stand clear that LPO is above Foothill because LPO IS BETTER!!!!
Honestly dude ... pipe down with that stuck up attitude. That's not what this web board is about. Not to mention you are tarnishing your band's good name every time you do it.

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:54 pm

I agree, that is very stuck up, there is a difference between chants during awards and bragging rights, and whoever said lpo rocks is dumb, because we're not in the top 1, so there are no bragging rights, im ashamed to have someone in the band actually say that.
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:22 pm

/me is also quite un-pleased. I wish some people would try and be a little courtious.

:oops: to know jo0

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:37 pm

If you guys have a problem with a certain poster, please do not make a public display of it. Instead, PM that person in a respectful manner, or PM one of the mods and it will be worked out.
Thanks!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

I sOoOo agree

Post by GuarDiva04 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:54 am

Wow this psot will kinda be outdated but... do any of you agree there are bands out there who if they tried just a LITTLE bit harder could be in the top five? Years ago, Fairfield was on top. The best of the best. And when I came in as a freshman, it was our last year on top. It's so hard to get people motivated. I KNOW for a fact we are better than some of those bands out there, they just have more dedication and umph! Its so hard looking at people agree that we are 5th in the rankings but sadly... I agree also. SO Good job all those ToP BaNdS! You all are what make us want to be good... or at least ME!
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cole167888 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:49 pm

because we're not in the top 1, so there are no bragging rights
You guys have an insane amount of bragging rights. Have you heard yourself on the street? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH MAN. It is one of the nicest sounds I've ever heard. I LOVE marching after you guys because its so awesome to hear your huge sound.

And w/the comment by someone from Fairfield I wholeheartedly agree with that. I really feel like Fairfield is a above Foothill, and visually above all the bands. It's great to watch their whole show. w/the bag pipes, and massive guard...its awesome.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:44 pm

Cole167888 wrote:
because we're not in the top 1, so there are no bragging rights
You guys have an insane amount of bragging rights. Have you heard yourself on the street? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH MAN. It is one of the nicest sounds I've ever heard. I LOVE marching after you guys because its so awesome to hear your huge sound.

And w/the comment by someone from Fairfield I wholeheartedly agree with that. I really feel like Fairfield is a above Foothill, and visually above all the bands. It's great to watch their whole show. w/the bag pipes, and massive guard...its awesome.
LOVE!! Thank you!! I must say we're haveing a good year...nice way to finish off my HS band experience!

Bass2tubagod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bass2tubagod » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:53 am

Maybe it's because I'm from the old regime but I'm not even proud to say that I went to Fairfield anymore. I was a senior just a few years ago and I transfered to Fairfield because they were so good on the street. What I've seen the past two years is the first part of the complete downfall of a Northern California street legend. I normally do not like to belittle a bands'acomplishments but just look at what happened. Fairfield has been stepped on review after review by Benecia who used to pose a good competition for us. I hope the school district realizes it's mistakes. Taylor should have stayed with Sullivan where he succeeded. I'm sorry if this sounds cruel but I'm sick of my alma mater being taken over by people who know nothing of the tradition of greatness that we had. I'll be the first to admit that scores and winning isn't everything but look at the last time Fairfield beat Benicia and you'll find the real Scarlet Brigade. Please Falcon band, stop using our accomplishments as your own. :frustrated: :cry:
I'm still Red, but blue thoughts are clouding my mind. Those who know drum corps know what I'm talking about.

Bass2tubagod
New Recruit
New Recruit

All time best Nor-Cal Parade Bands

Post by Bass2tubagod » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:01 am

My picks in no particular order:

Fairfiled (90's)
Armijo (70's)
Ukiah (70's)
Benicia (00's)

Sorry if I forgot any but it's 2 in the morning. :D
I'm still Red, but blue thoughts are clouding my mind. Those who know drum corps know what I'm talking about.

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: You're right!

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:48 pm

ILL~BE~BACH wrote:
Phantom Phan wrote:As far as NorCal goes, I'd have to rank the Top 5 Parade Bands like this:

1. Benicia HS, Benicia
2. Golden Valley HS, Merced
3. Las Plumas/Oroville HS, Oroville
4. Foothill HS, Pleasanton
5. Fairfield HS, Fairfield
This line-up is exact! Finally someone who knows their bands. I hope GV beats Benicia some day and I know that Fairfield can beat Foothill. Let the ranking stand clear that LPO is above Foothill because LPO IS BETTER!!!!
Sorry about this post guys...I'm ashamed that I said what I felt instead of thinking about how that would hit people. I never thought that we would ever be so badly beaten by Foothill. I was angry at the time. Truely next time I will cool off first. Still now I stand sure that we are better than Foothill and this post was our chance to say what we felt. From now on I hope that people from my band will post in favor of our band instead of degrading it. I try and put more light into my posts. I love my band and I love to show it. Some people won't like it, but it sure is better than the band's students saying that we shouldn't have any bragging rights just because we aren't the best. We work hard to get where we are and I think we deserve to show it anyway we want. I think we earned that right and I intend on using it. Please PM me if you have issues with my opinion.
LP/O Rocks!!!!!! Oh yes, we are, superior by far!!!!!

Q: How can you tell which kid on the playground is the child of a trombonist?

A: They don't know how to use the slide and can't swing.

http://lpoalliance.tripod.com