Scsboa championship reviews/thoughts?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

kilted1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Scsboa championship reviews/thoughts?

Post by kilted1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Anybody have any thoughts or reviews or comments about Saturdays championship? Any shockers? Upsets?

shinybrass
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Scsboa championship reviews/thoughts?

Post by shinybrass » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:34 pm

In the 1A division i only got to watch Workman, Los Angeles and Canyon.

Workman- Wow they were really good. I really did enjoy their show. Very well performed.

Los Angeles- Very well designed show, very clean (like always ha) and fun to watch.

Canyon- Their percussion section is WOW. I think they might have beaten Los Angeles if they were cleaner. I really liked their show.

Peter Baird

Post by Peter Baird » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:30 pm

I only saw the last six bands in 4A.

Full disclosure, my sons both marched West Ranch for the last 4 years, so I'm biased. That said, I gotta give a shout out to Mira Costa who just missed medaling. Great visuals, entertaining show. I loved what they did with the neon lights on the drums and gauntlets and the show was very well constructed. Never been a fan of the stiff-knee thing Cadets made popular, but Mira Costa does it with understated style.

I really regret missing Valencia. I have the honor to claim Bill Price as a friend, and I gotta think he was one of the driving forces behind them taking high visual. If you need someone to do a little constructive criticism of your visual program you can't do much better than Bill.

South Hills was so good musically. They have a really great blend and terrific discipline.

By the way, Alec plays snare (perc scored a 95!) and Austin was section leader for the tubas for 3 years.

Peter

zchristy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by zchristy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:33 pm

It's been quite a long time since I posted here. I've stayed under the radar due to performance ensemble connections... but now I'm no longer a member anywhere.

That being said, here are my thoughts on the 4A Division. (I too am a bit biased towards West Ranch, my alma mater... but I'll do my best to remain impartial)

In my book, West Ranch took the GE caption. But this was closely followed in my book by Mira Costa. They were able to use the lights extremely effectively for their first movement. Defying the possibility of the effect becoming stale, they recycled it with the green lights in the guard. What a great addition to their show!

West Ranch did bump their tempos (in some spots significantly) from their rehearsal in the afternoon. I suspect that this helped intensify their show quite a bit, adding to the overall effect leading up to the execution at the end of the show.

South Hills was MARVELOUSLY clean. Technically, I felt they were easily the most spot on band of the evening. Their drill was fantastic (and clean!). Their musicality was superb, and their guard held their own strongly. Overall, a very, very solid program.

Unfortunately, I was held behind the gate for Valencia's performance, but I was able to see it from field level. While the program was spectacular overall, I simply couldn't keep my eyes off the colorguard (kudos to them... it's hard to distract my feeble tuba mind!). Beautifully done, guys.

The 4A caption was quite competitive overall. I had a running prediction tab, but I canned it in the spirit of enjoying the programs. Show after show hit it home. The entire division was a complete joy to watch.

((Mr. Baird... way to represent. Tuba section leader here for my 4 years. I remember seeing Austin the year after I left.. Great kid.))

Cheers

zc

Euphman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Euphman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:33 pm

kilted1 wrote:Anybody have any thoughts or reviews or comments about Saturdays championship? Any shockers? Upsets?
San Marcos (2A) winning Gold even though they were ranked 5th on the grid (and had a lousy performance slot) is probably the only "upset" of championships.

In the history of SCSBOA championships has there ever been a bigger gap made up in Finals?

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:21 pm

If memory serves me, and I'm getting older these days, I believe Damien HS in 2007 was slotted pretty deep and took Silver. I want to say perhaps 7th or lower. Could be wrong.

Chris Case
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chris Case » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:33 am

If by upset you mean by the seed they earned, yes San Marcos was an upset. However, going by highest head to head score no they were not an upset. Anyone who knows San Marcos, knows not to count them out of anything.

Damien in 2007 was an upset!

PJ
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PJ » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:45 am

5A John North 2004 (?)
Ranked 7th; won the gold