2013 Rose Parade

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

bigcity
New Recruit
New Recruit

2013 Rose Parade

Post by bigcity » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:10 am

Congratulations on all Bands that performed today in the Parade!!

In particular, the bands from Broken Arrow and Lassiter were amazing. The BOA Honor Band was great too. All three sounded great and showed the college bands how it is done.

Psalm 56
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 2013 Rose Parade

Post by Psalm 56 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:18 pm

bigcity wrote:Congratulations on all Bands that performed today in the Parade!!

In particular, the bands from Broken Arrow and Lassiter were amazing. The BOA Honor Band was great too. All three sounded great and showed the college bands how it is done.

AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT!!

bandfan88
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 2013 Rose Parade

Post by bandfan88 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Hands down one of the best Rose Parades in quite some time! The cultural identity and flavor of the bands from El Salvador, Mexico, East-West fusion, and the Korean band added a much appreciated international flair to the spectacle of the event.

Top band highlights of the parade for me include:

Lincoln HS - When I saw them a few days ago at bandfest, I was absolutely blown away by this South Dakota band. Loved that the parade officials allowed them to stop and do some traditional park and blowing to the stands, and man can they blow!

Broken Arrow HS - Their repertoire selection of Mars & Jupiter was quite unconventional in my eyes, but they made it work! I loved their block setup that integrated the guard and winds.

Bands of America Honor Band - Best. Uniforms. Ever. Reflections of Earth got me misty eyed (Cadets 2000!)

Lafayette HS - Couldn't tell you how excited I got when I heard the intro to US Field Artillery after they concluded their first tune, I was absolutely thrilling to see a non-California band play a traditional Sousa march on parade!

LAUSD Honor Band and PCC Tournament of Roses Honor Band - Best these two groups have looked and sounded in quite some time!

Santiago HS - Carrying on a mantle previously held by the likes of Rancho Bernardo, El Dorado, Arcadia, etc., the Bands of Santiago Sharks more than held their own in today's parade. Congratulations to this fine organization on proudly representing not only their school but the entire Southern California parade band community in front of millions of viewers around the world!

East-West Fusion Band - As a Chinese-American, I was so thrilled to finally see China musically represented in the Rose Parade! The students of Valley Christian HS and Beijing No. 57 HS proudly represented not only their schools, but also their countries in showing a spirit of cooperation and camaraderie between two cultures, and furthermore demonstrating the power music has in bringing people together!

Congratulations to ALL the bands on your incredible performances today, and may you forever cherish all the wonderful memories you have gained from this incredible experience!