BOA Grand Nationals Prelims Update (Day 2)

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

BOA Grand Nationals Prelims Update (Day 2)

Post by airons0678 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Bands of America (Day 2)
2012 Grand National Championships
presented by Yamaha
November 7-10, 2012

It was tough waking up this morning, but worth it. After scraping the ice off the windshield of my rental car and heating the car up, off I went. It only takes about 15-20 minutes to get to Lucas Oil Stadium from the outskirts of Indianapolis. (I am staying at the Crowne Plaza at Indianapolis Airport.) Once I parked I was surprised by the courtesy of the parking lot attendant manager. In fact, the courtesy of the CSC Event Staff went above and beyond, too, which is a rarity. (Yes, I was complimented by CSC event staff! A first!) I think this is the general friendliness of Indianapolis, though. (Nothing new, really, but this year it was really evident.) When I reached my seat, which was on the 400 level today, I met up with my marching band enthusiast friends and readied myself for another day of pageantry...

Panther Creek H.S., NC
Repertoire: "Storm"
Comments: Significant gray backdrops with black and white clouds painted upon were situated in the rear part of the field. The guard, in silver gray, stand on different parts of the field facing different directions. Out from behind the backstage come the winds and battery line, marching very fast and doing a U-turn slide not far out of the gates. Wow! This band packed quite a punch with their sound when the moment called for it. Brass, brass, brass. What is this? Drum and bugle corps? Good stuff. Aaand rifle tosses down a vertical line: not bad. I really like the baby blue ("tarheel blue") Cavaliers look they have going. The jazz run intersecting lines--exciting, though imperfect. Kudos to them for not tiring out during this aerobic show, and of course flags of different colors nicely matched their presentation of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Perhaps my Cavies comment was not far off in my swift, rambling mind. This show had lots of energy, and was performed moderately well. Bravo!
My Score: 70.30
My Rating: II

Godwin Heights H.S., MI
Repertoire: "The Raven" by Frank Sullivan
Comments: This group had great poise taking the field, following their director, and getting their props into place. Before their show begins most of the wind players are separated into groups, doing the "group huddle," and then when their show starts they make hand motions as if in synchronized swimming, and unwind the spool of themselves. The frog-like narration fits the dreary theme of the production, although muffled. Great weight-change side-gallop move--excellent control there. And what a seamless lift of one of the wind players into the air and back down! Some of the sounds I heard were sloppy, but these kids did a reasonable job filling the stands with their music. This was a focused show, clear on the objective, and achievable. Ha! My eyes caught that raven drill form near the end there, mirroring the wings on the multiple backdrops, and points must be had for all the winds lunging towards the backdrops where the guard remains, highlighting them.
My Score: 67.50

George Walton H.S., GA
Repertoire: "by George," featuring the music of George Gershwin, Georges Bizet, George Michael and George Handel
Comments: Giant cut-out letter backdrops spell the words, "BY GEORGE," and in a funky beat comes George Michael's "Freedom," with a pre-show listing of many Georges, past and present. This group has a bunch of fine moments, with clarity in the winds, and guard work that is pretty even. After a George Bernard Shaw quote, a symmetrical form with a "G" in the middle heads in reverse, and then a dash of synthetic mixed with a little Gershwin that goes from "little" to "to the forefront." I love that the drums in the back get some focus. Ha! (George...Michael. What more could be said? I'm glad the drums had a say in this, too.) At one point in the show most of the winds are clapping with their hands in the air, getting some audience participation going. This was a fun show, and one I would like to see once more. There was nothing profound with what they were doing, although it could be said "George" is a strong name that has had a lot of historical and musical impact. Just as a sidenote, George McGovern, the famous Democratic candidate who lost to Nixon in 1972, died not long ago, and I saw his name amongst the others on the front side A frontdrops. Overall, this show was nothing fancy, but something fresh.
My Score: 79.80
My Rating: I

Hillsborough H.S., NJ
Repertoire: "The Edge," by Rich Guillen, featuring Part 1: Come to the Edge, He Said...But We Are Afraid, Part 2: Come to the Edge, He Said...And They Came and Part 3: Come to the Edge, He said...He Pushed, And They Flew!
Comments: At the top of a great inclining ramp, right before it drops off, is a trumpet player in triumphant stance, and the epic synthesizer sounds, almost Philip-Glass-ian in repetition. I love how the "show-before-the-show" really engages! Okay, now it begins. Well done, guard. Rifles...under...control. But the type of control I see in the guard is not so with the winds in terms of visuality. I saw some arched backs out there. Mellophones, don't just play the notes. The inverted star form was clean and stood out nicely with the flowing blue flags that spelled out "ensemble moment," yeah? Timing in the feet has to be there for ALL. And, ooh, trumpets. Together? Trumpets? Average composure overall. They juuust held together. I love how at the end the drums ascend the front ramp and when the show completes the snare drummer at the top looks like he is going to fall over just before the tenor drummer "saves" him. Nice touch!
My Score: 68.00

Limestone Community H.S., IL
Repertoire: "Elemental Forces," including 1. Wildfire, 2. Tornado, 3. Flood and 4. Earthquake
Comments: Scatter form beginning, then one, two, three, four snare drummers in action. I am not the biggest fan of drums starting the show, but that's just me. I suppose it worked. It was just jagged to the ears. When the winds enter, things make sense. They did what they could with the limited low brass section they had, using the synth properly to back them up and nothing too o-v-e-r-b-e-a-r-i-n-g. The flute soloist had a dynamite sound and projected with that microphone. The girl playing the flute solo, though, could perhaps enhance the professionalism by closing the legs and standing taller. This show was on autopilot-like, with lots of drum sounds. Crack! Crack! Crack! DRUMS! And those props in the back with contrasting elements--tidal wave and cracks in the ground from an earthquake?--was too far back for the size it was. (Let's put it this way: my eyes did not go there much.) I guess I could sum this thing up as rough around the edges. If you're going to say something, say it with better clarity. Good effort. On-the-mark segments. More clarity needed.
My Score: 62.30

North Laurel H.S., KY
Repertoire: Renewal: featuring the music of Spring by Igor Stravinsky
Comments: Was the synth supposed to have that...feedback? Electronics FAIL. Thank goodness the kids figured out how to turn that loud, humming thing OFF. I like the mellophone sounds, despite the rocky start. Then we have this 1970's B-movie action film soundtrack sort of thing from an outdated synth, perhaps...and this just made little sense! I guess the chaotic feel of it all was just THAT, even though I was not receiving it the way they were probably intending it. (That rocky start was hard. Let's be 100% honest.) The hopping visual move the winds injected into their rapid production worked, and was quite memorable for what it's worth. I did my best to keep up with these kids. Beautiful butterfly wings double-flagwork. This was a messy show. I wonder if the indoor environment bamboozled them. Whatever the case is, I heard scattered sound, saw scattered forms, and felt scattered things. Well, I can't knock a complete thought. These kids battled Murphy's Law and did the best they could with all the sharp contrasts.
My Score: 60.20

Nation Ford H.S., SC
Repertoire: "The New World," composed by Frank Sullivan
Comments: A panorama of space, the moon, and a rocket ship lifting off gives this group a grandiose presence. The winds and auxilary get in a hammer-like form, field left. Snare drummers take their mark in front of the rocket props. I "get it," as it becomes clear now that the hammer-like form is in a fact a rocket blasting off--the block behind the "arm" the expended fuel, with fiery guard flags that come out to enhance the effect. They seem to rush the "New World," by Dvorak, but I think this is their mode of attack, demonstrating proficiency. Your heart races with the folding and collapsing forms that come across horizontally, and in the end there is that bold low brass sound. Wonderful! A faux American flag is worked with and tossed on the "moon" tarp in front of the corresponding backdrop. The guard costumes are great, right along the lines of 1960's space travel with STYLE--silver, with black stripes. Great sleek movement to boost the general effectiveness of the music investiveness, woodwinds. All in all this show was a gift in a neatly wrapped package. Well done!
My Score: 83.30

Murphysboro H.S., IL
Repertoire: "The River," featuring Ol' Man River, Sweet Georgia Brown, Gather at the River and I'll Fly Away
COmments: A single flag-bearer stands on the Colts' logo on the 50, and then runs forward with the sound of ringing bells. I was pleased with the turnaround sound following the backfield stuff. This group kept their cool with their volume, siding with balance and quality (as opposed to harsh, stick-outs, missed notes, etc.) which, for their size, I was quite impressed. Awesome job! Ha! (Great 20's Charleston moves by the guard soloist with the umbrella, her smile a mile wide.) In the ballad, the winds create an obvious winding river formation, of which the guard goes through with deep blue silks as capes. The music is subtle, yet gorgeous. Marching technique throughout rocks. I like how they left us with the theme they wanted engraved in our heards--a river form. This group went to great lengths to perfect what they had, and for that they are to be commended.
My Score: 63.50

Jenison H.S., MI
Repertoire: "Joan: Visionary, Warrior, Martyr, Saint"
Comments: A stake that looks to be a thing someone will burn on, an alter, and panes with coats of arms gave me a general idea of what this show would be about. I ate their pre-show up! (Soothing choral sounds, coupled with graceful movement = win, in my book.) Great management, trumpets. (Quite consistent!) Ooh! The line of high toss saber experts all caught them...except the one at the end. Another fantastic toss gets caught, though. Ugh: it bothers me to see a legs spread apart move where people have their legs spread apart at different widths (please forgive me for this pet peeve of mine), and then at least one person missed the visual following it. Excellent symmetricality in the wind couples drill. Great drama develops when a girl is burned at the stake with startling realism, cloths of flame and smoke devouring her--this our "Joan." This show had some edge thematically, but lacked a bit in execution. The form at the end was crisp and clean, though. Outstanding!
My Score: 75.10

Other Notes:
*Skill-wise, the line-up of bands today was not as strong as yesterday. This is quite obvious based on the line-ip, of course, but I feel it needs to be stated again. I predict 19 semi-finalist bands will come from Thursday's prelims.
*Love that one of the on-field judges almost got taken out after not paying attention, but was quick on his feet to avoid catastrophe. I know, I have a sick mind, but this is somehow--for me--hidden entertainment (that is, if I catch it). I believe this was during Cape Fear's show.
*Tarpon Springs is incredible, but you can tell they are riding out the fantasy-land wave. (First Alice in Wonderland, now Snow White.) Plus, how many times can you do the stunt-devil thing where you jump off a high prop onto a safety mattress? Well, I guess they can do it since they invented it (for band). It is a killer show, still--one that I may need to see again from a different vantage point to truly appreciate.
*Nebraska apparently has great bands. A shout out goes to Bellevue West.
*It was nice to meet Joshua Henson (finally), who really has a heart for the performing arts and the kids at BOA events. He showed me a slice of what his day as an event coordinator consists of (which is quite non-stop, mind you), and one of the best parts about this was seeing a kid's eyes get REALLY wide when she passed by the tunnel to the field with her band on the way to warm-ups. Yes, this is Grand Nationals. :)
*As I write this I'm sure who made semis was just announced or is being announced. I left a little early and missed a FEW bands, but only because I wanted to eat a decent dinner--not stadium food (like Papa John's pizza for the third time)--and because I need REST. Tomorrow will be a long day, with as many as 34 semi-finals bands and two--count that, TWO--breaks ONLY.

Time to go to the Music for All forums to see what happened!!! (Excited, can you tell?)

Alan Irons, PMP, PMI-ACP

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: BOA Grand Nationals Prelims Update (Day 2)

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:28 pm

airons0678 wrote:*Nebraska apparently has great bands. A shout out goes to Bellevue West.
Bellevue West is the best band in the state. Bellevue East and the Millard Directional schools aren't far behind. In fact, Bellevue East's director and one of the driving personalities in the state band scene is Ron Hardin, formerly of Clayton Valley HS in Concord. However, Nebraska is an "epicenter" state, like Oklahoma and South Dakota...

There are some great bands in the Omaha, NE area (the Bellevue, PLV and Millard schools), but the rest of the state stinks.

There are some great bands in the Tulsa, OK area (Berryhill, Broken Arrow, Owasso, Union), but the rest of the state stinks.

There are some great bands in the Sioux Falls, SD area (Brandon Valley, SF Lincoln, SF Roosevelt), but the rest of the state stinks.

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
airons0678 wrote:*Nebraska apparently has great bands. A shout out goes to Bellevue West.
Bellevue West is the best band in the state. Bellevue East and the Millard Directional schools aren't far behind. In fact, Bellevue East's director and one of the driving personalities in the state band scene is Ron Hardin, formerly of Clayton Valley HS in Concord. However, Nebraska is an "epicenter" state, like Oklahoma and South Dakota...

There are some great bands in the Omaha, NE area (the Bellevue, PLV and Millard schools), but the rest of the state stinks.

There are some great bands in the Tulsa, OK area (Berryhill, Broken Arrow, Owasso, Union), but the rest of the state stinks.

There are some great bands in the Sioux Falls, SD area (Brandon Valley, SF Lincoln, SF Roosevelt), but the rest of the state stinks.
I think that the word stinks is not a correct description of Bands in OK and NE. A lilttle bit of NE History

Class AA in NE is made up of schools with 601 Students or more. There are "32" schools of this enrollment.
Class A in NE is made up schools with enrollment of 301-600 students. There are "32 " schools with this enrollment.
Class B in NE is made up of schools with and enrollment of 150-300 students.There are "68" schools in Class B.
Class C in NE is made up of schools with 75-150 students in enrollment. There are "75" schools in Class C.
Class D in NE is made up of schools with enrollment of 0-75 students. There are "150" Schools with this enrollment.
(Source NSBA)

In OKLA the 6A class consists of 32 HIgh Schools with an enrollment of 734 or more students. If you note that Union, Owasso and Broken Arrow are competing against schools with less that 1/4 of their enrollment you can see the problem with this state. Source is OSAAA
True story in 2011, the Herbstreit challenge scheduled the OK class 5A champion, Booker T. Washington from Tulsa to play Desoto from TX at Cowboys stadium. OK 5A is 350 to 734 students. TX 5A is 2050 and upward. You can imagine how the game turned out. 73 to 21 was the final score. They should have shot the idiot who put a school with 450 students against one with over 2700 students.
I agree that SD, NE, and OK all suffer from the fact that their limited population does not give them much depth. I would only disagree that the smaller schools do not "Stink", they just do not have the numbers to compete with the Big States like, CA, TX, IL, IN AZ, FL, TN, GA , OH , NY and PA which all have more heavy centers of population.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:09 am

Well aware of all this, I keep spreadsheets. :wink:

In the past four years, there has been 1 band active in NSBA Class D, 13 in Class C, 17 in Class B, 13 in Class A, and 29 in Class AA. Over the past four years, only six bands have a rolling NSBA average of a "I" rating: Bellevue East and West, Millard North and West, Omaha Burke, and Papillion-La Vista South. All Class AA.

Oklahoma has a great deal more bands, but there are no bands in 1A with a rolling four-year OBA rating over 75, none in 2A, only one in 3A (Berryhill), only one in 4A (Piedmont), and two in 5A (Coweta and MacAlester) out of about 150 bands combined. In 6A, 13 out of 27 rate 75 or higher.

Nebraska and Oklahoma are both very top-heavy (Kansas, too), with a handful of very good big schools, but the smaller schools in those states simply do not stack up with the smaller schools in other nearby states:
* Grand Rapids, Marshall, Pipestone, Rochester Lourdes, Waseca in Minnesota
* Cedar Rapids Prairie, Independence, MOC-Floyd Valley, Pella, Waukee in Iowa
* Aurora, Grain Valley, Nevada, Odessa, Saint Charles West in Missouri

...and countless great small-school bands in Texas, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan. Pretty much any of those bands I have listed could come into Nebraska or Oklahoma and dominate the lower classes. Heck, at MOC-Floyd Valley in Iowa over a third of the school is in the band (427 total 9th-12th enrollment, 148 member marching band).

Just my opinion. 8-)