NCBA Rules Question

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

newguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

NCBA Rules Question

Post by newguy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:10 am

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I'm still unclear on what this really means...

"SOUND EQUIPMENT
All sound equipment must be run by the director, assistant director, instructor, or a
student member of the program and enrolled in the school they are participating with. The
soundboard may be on the track. Once the equipment (speakers , microphones and sound
board) is set in the pit area, and once the performance is in progress no one is allowed back
in the pit area to readjust the equipment. No personal is allowed in the bleacher area to
communicate sound adjustments.
PENALTY FOR ELECTRONICS VIOLATION = 5 POINTS"

When I read this, it seems like no one is allowed to adjust the sound board once the performance has begun... apparently I am not reading that correctly because pretty much everyone does and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Is it because they are controlling it from behind the drum major? Don't see how that is any different that from controlling it about 3 feet closer to the band in the pit....

splitmindeddude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: NCBA Rules Question

Post by splitmindeddude » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:31 am

newguy wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I'm still unclear on what this really means...

"SOUND EQUIPMENT
All sound equipment must be run by the director, assistant director, instructor, or a
student member of the program and enrolled in the school they are participating with. The
soundboard may be on the track. Once the equipment (speakers , microphones and sound
board) is set in the pit area
, and once the performance is in progress no one is allowed back
in the pit area to readjust the equipment. No personal is allowed in the bleacher area to
communicate sound adjustments.
PENALTY FOR ELECTRONICS VIOLATION = 5 POINTS"

When I read this, it seems like no one is allowed to adjust the sound board once the performance has begun... apparently I am not reading that correctly because pretty much everyone does and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Is it because they are controlling it from behind the drum major? Don't see how that is any different that from controlling it about 3 feet closer to the band in the pit....
From the way the rule has always been interpreted, it is fine as long as the master control (board) is not within the pit area. At this point, most bands have opted to have it behind the drum major and on the track away from the front ensemble. Now, going to adjust any of the other equipment, like the speakers and mics, is a not allowed because it is within the boundaries of the front ensemble.

I guess you can say that's the "loophole". You can always talk to Rowland about that, but that's the general understanding among a good deal of instructors.

newguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: NCBA Rules Question

Post by newguy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:55 am

Sounds good to me... just want to make sure when I do it, I don't get smacked for it!
Thanks for the clarification.