Help setting parade block

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Joe Cargill

Help setting parade block

Post by Joe Cargill » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:54 am

Hey all, I'm the new band director at Chowchila High School and I'm looking for some suggestions on how to set my parade block for the competition season, I've tried a few ideas but would love some input. Shoot me a private message if you could.

THANKS!

March: men of ohio

Instrumentation:

3 flutes
6 clarinets
1 bass clarinet
6 altos
2 tenors
2 horns
6 trumpets
7 trombones
3 euphoniums
2 tubas
3 snare
2 tenors
5 basses

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help setting parade block

Post by magicsax22 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 am

It might sound like an odd idea, but if your players can handle it, have them just set a randomly mixed block, preferably with like instruments not next to each other. I've tried it before and can sound pretty good, but it is a bit more difficult to tune.

My primary suggestion is don't be afraid to throw convention out the window and try any crazy idea that comes to you. One year with a small and I put the brass down the center of the group, and the woodwinds on the outsides. I was something completely different, but sounded pretty good from a distance and the balance didn't change as much when they passed you as it does when you set them in sections.

The other suggestion I have is to make sure you listen to them from a distance, as the sound will blend much differently 50 feet away than it does 5 feet away. I usually stand away, then just keep moving people around and having them play the same small chunk of music until I find what works best with the strengths and weaknesses of the group both as players and in instrumentation.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Joe Cargill wrote:Hey all, I'm the new band director at Chowchila High School and I'm looking for some suggestions on how to set my parade block for the competition season, I've tried a few ideas but would love some input. Shoot me a private message if you could.

THANKS!

March: men of ohio

Instrumentation:

3 flutes
6 clarinets
1 bass clarinet
6 altos
2 tenors
2 horns
6 trumpets
7 trombones
3 euphoniums
2 tubas
3 snare
2 tenors
5 basses
Nearly a third of your band is low brass (good!), so if you have capable performers, I'd have six trombones up front in the first row of a 6x8 block. Or four trombones bookended by a euphonium. For starters.

But what is your strongest section(s)? The first rank, regardless of instrumentation, needs to have kids who can play.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:28 pm

I would use a block of 7 across. Put your trombones in the first rank.
Use two step spacing side to side and three step front to back. Put the rest of your tenor voices in the second rank. Put your tubas in the 4th rank with the horns close and the alto voices filling out the third rank. Percussion in the fifth or sixth rank, depending on how strong your trumpets are. A weaker trumpet section needs to be in front of the percussion. Finish up with the upper woodwinds in the last two ranks.

I have had bands of this size and approximate instrumentation for years. Don't be affraid to move it around to get the sound you like the best. Keep your best marchers in the center column and your best players on the right (judges) side. If you are going to compete.