does The Cadets way of thinking work for marching band?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

does The Cadets way of thinking work for marching band?

Post by pittech » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Has anyone here seen a HSMB that's used the same techniques as The Cadets and been successful with it? I'm taking about the right foot lead the heal first backwards technique and the no horn snap ever.
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us

Schimmy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: does The Cadets way of thinking work for marching band?

Post by Schimmy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Right foot step-off is a matter of choice, it isn't better or worse. Their backwards technique I think is more of a role-through than landing on their heals.

Before attempting any technique I would ask myself what the age old question of risk vs. reward. If being different is the reward you want then switching to this technique will work although you will have to retrain your entire band and not just the incoming freshmen.

In my opinion at the high school level I would much rather spend time cleaning and working on creating a good quality sound over uniqueness in marching technique.
"The audience is always listening"

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:40 am

pittech wrote:Has anyone here seen a HSMB that's used the same techniques as The Cadets and been successful with it? I'm taking about the right foot lead the heal first backwards technique and the no horn snap ever.
A lot of high school bands (and drum corps) in the eastern U.S. do it. I think it's a culture thing. Plus, you have many, many vets from glory years of the Cadets (1980's onward) that fill up the directorship and adjunctication ranks out there. Heck, I had to learn the "style" when I marched with Spartans (Nashua, NH), though we did horn snaps, did left foot lead (most of the time), and on the toes/pads of the foot on the back-ups. But everything else--the "gelling" transitions (with foot plant in the direction you're going, super-straight-leg "pendulum" style forwards march, etc.)--was the same/similar. Learning the ballet "first position," "second position," etc. moves helped, and we had the guard caption head teach us these basics.

All I have to say is for high school band, I would not recommend it (especially the backwards stuff...except maybe in slower tempo songs). But if you have a band that can pull it off--cool.

I remember Fred C. Beyer H.S. in 1993/1994 had a Cadets vibe going for them. See if you can catch a video of them from back then. Also, check Youtube for West Johnston H.S. (from North Carolina). They do step off on the right foot in some of their vids, and even LOOK like the Cadets with their uniforms.

Alan

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:30 pm

We do not see this type of marching in TX. I think that is because we still have a tradition of military style Bands both at the High School and College level. Trying to march 6 to 5 or 8 to 5 while stepping of on the right foot just does not work. Even most of our Corps style Bands show their members after competition season how precision drills are done. Texas A&M, UT, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston and SMU all do some form of precison marching in their shows. I think it is a cultural thing also. Most of the East Coast University Bands are heavily influenced by DCI, which is not the case out here.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq