Fairfield Suisun USD anyone know anything

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

newguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Fairfield Suisun USD anyone know anything

Post by newguy » Sat May 26, 2012 7:47 pm

So does anyone know what is going on with Fairfield Suisun USD? I mean really know...

I have read on their school board minutes and in stories that the board has approved the removal of all sports and co-curricular stipends. The way the daily republic story reads that would mean the end of all sports programs for next year. (of course the music programs weren't mentioned at all in the story)
It also doesn't say anything about eliminating the music programs, only the stipends... which I assume means they would still be offering the classes, and likely would still be offering all the same performance opportunities... it just means the directors aren't going to get paid for all of their extra time. :td:

So has anyone heard anything? Are there any FSUSD Directors on here that would care to comment? Please know we are feeling for you, and if there is anything that the area music community can do to support you please let us know!

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Fairfield Suisun USD anyone know anything

Post by clarinetking » Sun May 27, 2012 9:40 am

I'm not a current employee but I taught there for 20 years. There is a good thread about this in the directors only section on here.

No employees have been given notice of termination so classes will go on. The district is very serious about their intentions of closing down all of the sports and extra curricular programs. They have also terminated all of the bus drivers and are not planning to have any busing next year other than mandatory special ed.

It is against district contract or would be against the law to get outside volunteers to do the coaching. So that won't happen.

As for the band programs as I mentioned in the other section on this website I don't really know about the extra curricular part of their programs. They have ALL been funding themselves since the district unified back in the early 70's. I did 20 years at Fairfield High School and the only funding I had for 20 years was my salary and stipend. The district did not purchase music, purchase instruments, do instrument repairs, purchase uniforms or pay for buses. That's right.... all of the sports teams had free buses and bands had to pay. So it's my opinion that the bands could easily continue to prosper as they all have active and supportive booster programs that have been doing that support for over 4 decades.

As it appears on the section we all speculate that we will believe the sports cuts when they actually happen. Other districts have also threatened the same cuts so we will see.

I'm not an expert on the Fairfield district but I still have several friends that teach there. This is what I'm hearing from them.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.