Band Camp

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

MrZephyr

Band Camp

Post by MrZephyr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:31 am

I'm starting to do my research to find a great band camp location for my students. Anyone have any suggestions in California?
Asst. Director of Music
John Burroughs High School

Frankfan
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Band Camp

Post by Frankfan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm

I assume you mean a sleep away camp.

I am a band director--my daughter has gone to Arrowbear near Running Springs for the last 6 years, and loves it a lot. As a parent, I like the low relative cost and the fact that she loves it. As a music teacher I wish they offered private lessons and formal theory classes.

She also went to Cazadero up north one year--she elected to not go another year--not sure why. She had technical issues with her clarinet while there, and they stuck her on tuba for the remainder of the camp. All that was wrong was a simple adjustment on the A key--as a parent I was pretty perturbed about that we spent all that money and she had to play an instrument she was unfamiliar with. Overall though, seems like a great place and many people have a great experience there.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Scentiment
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Band Camp

Post by Scentiment » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:11 pm

I've heard good things about Cazadero as well! You can also check out the Univ. of the Pacific Summer Music Camp.

If your students are able to travel, I highly suggest the MFA Summer Symposium in Indiana. It's a huge and incredible summer camp, very inspirational, and the students come back ready to conquer the world with music.